Golfers Thread

Gaz

Guest honestrae95

I had a good 3 last time I played that hole, Easter time I thing. That is the one downside, the prices are ridiculous. When we go over to play,we always play when a competition is on as they all but half the fee's for the day. Idea time to play.

One of my pals is a pro at Dalmilling in Ayr, so i used his guest ticket thingy that comes with his tour card. The other boys used Greensaver vouchers and played for 1/2 price, so it worked out for us!

Yesterday i played Dalmilling for the first time in a month. Shot an 81 scratch, which isnt bad (par 69). Didnt strike the ball that well, but scored ok. Hit a few Bubba style recovery snap-hooks when i got into trouble! Gorgeous!

Did u play the medal today Forza?

Bizarre round for me... Had 5 duffs (all from within 100 yards), was in trees at 17, lipped out on 5 of the first 14 holes, and finished with four 3-putts (on 15, 16, 17 & 18).

Despite this, ended up with a net 69 (82-13) with a CSS of 70. Mental stuff.

I'm to dedicated to my studies at this moment in time to play. tongue.gif I've been having the same problem with my wedge play, 100 yards and in. I don't know whether I'm hesitating when going through impact, as I'm only trying to hit a wee half wedge and maybe I'm slowing down to much, or I just can't get the control on the ball. It's really frustrating when you're hitting perfect drives and end up trying to scramble a up-and-down for par. dry.gif

Another decent round today. 95 - but should have been sub 90. I can see that coming soon which will be a great achievement. I was actually on for the 90 until I hit 7-5-5-6 in the last four holes, when I should at worst have had 5-4-3-5./

Getting there.

Managed to squeeze in 9 holes after work today and was playing well until I hit a horror shot into the water on 7. After that I got more and more angry with myself for being pish. Hopefully get finished early tomorrow and get another 9 or more in.

Squeezed in 9 holes tonight. Played fairly solid once again. Driving is looking back to it's best finally with iron play reasonably good. Was playing with the old man tonight and he showed me up by having an eagle on the 6th hole on the 'Wee Course'. Both of us where absolutely gobs-smacked. laugh.gif

One pain in the arse tonight was that there were a few 'neds' taking the flags out of holes and hiding them. Little w@nkers... dry.gif

Guest honestrae95

Me and my brother fancy going abroad for a week to play some golf.

Anyone have any recommendations for where to go, what companies to use etc

Donegal in Irelands great for 'close to home' golf vacations but if you want sun and golf then 'La Manga' in Spain is top dawg! Been with the family and i just rented clubs out- played 3 of the on-site courses.Think thats where the Scottish National team train (and golf). Defo going back myself one day!

Donegal in Irelands great for 'close to home' golf vacations but if you want sun and golf then 'La Manga' in Spain is top dawg! Been with the family and i just rented clubs out- played 3 of the on-site courses.Think thats where the Scottish National team train (and golf). Defo going back myself one day!

Thanks! Will look into La Manga - sun and golf is what we are looking at - although im thinking of going to Ireland at some point so good to know about Donegal too!

More improvement today-a 91. Should really have been well below 90 but blew it on 15 and 18. Normally get 4 or 5 on the 15th but shanked four shots in a row and was lucky to get an 8. Shanked two on the 28th and made 6.

Determined to get under 90 next time!

I've now played 5 rounds keeping my score on my Golfshot app on my phone and it's calculated a handicap of 18 for me, which gives me something to work on. I shot 92 round Southport Links just outside Liverpool at the weekend and if it weren't for the usual stupid dropped shots I could have been well down into the 80's. :angry:

The last 3 rounds I've played have been in absolutely ridiculous high winds as well, with Southport at the weekend being the worst. Even thinking of taking a wedge into a green was suicide.

Another 9 hole played tonight. My game seems to be getting into shape so maybe I'll play the medal this week all going well. A silly drive on 6 resulted in a double but, apart from that, it was good solid round.

Onwards and Upwards. smile.gif

I went out for 18 holes tonight and only made it through 9. Two slow twats in front of me that took 15 (fifteen!) minutes to play the first hole just didn't even think to wave me through. Pain in the fucking arse. I know it used to be the case that a single player had no standing but that's not the case anymore - I wish golf clubs (my own included) would do more to actually let their members know this is the case.

Guest honestrae95

I went out for 18 holes tonight and only made it through 9. Two slow twats in front of me that took 15 (fifteen!) minutes to play the first hole just didn't even think to wave me through. Pain in the fucking arse. I know it used to be the case that a single player had no standing but that's not the case anymore - I wish golf clubs (my own included) would do more to actually let their members know this is the case.

A few weeks ago two kids (about 11/12 maybe) were playing infornt of me, they started mucking about on the par 3 6th, and practising on the green. After waiting for 20 mins a que formed behind me of 2 groups. Eventually i got so pissed off, i just hit my shot and shouted 'fore'. It landed about 5 yards from one of them and after that they never moved slower than a brisk walking pace.

Wee basterds!

Today i'm going out for 18 around Royal Dalmilling, so i'll let you all know how i get on.8)

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before!!

Not a member of anywhere now due to work but had a corporate membership up at the dukes in St Andrews. I've played many great courses such as the old course, carnoustie and gleneagles, but if I do play now it's over at my mates course Haggs Castle.

I am trying to get my two sons into golf aVnd as ridiculous as this may sound I bought tiger woods 2013 for ps3 using the move controllers. It won't make them golfers but will develops the basic premise of a swing.

In terms of tips I can offer, I generally find everyone is a much better david lead better than nick Faldo! But guys just taking up the game generally seem to over swing and get frustrated when they duff shots. I find getting angry just makes you swing faster and harder at the next shot and makes things worse.

Also for anyone with a handicap of over 18, they should not play the course to par. Play each hole like a par 5 and play to fives. If you think about it 6 over par for a 12 handicapper is playing to handicap, so 6 over 5's for 51 at the turn makes it sound and most importantly feel better, and more achievable to improve on.

Finally, the other way to play when starting off is not to the card but in a stable ford format. Give yourself a shot a hole so you get three points for a par, 2 points for a bogey and a point for a double. Then count up your points at the end of the round and use that as a base to improve on.

Edited by Clyde4life

Guest honestrae95

Shot a 75 (6 over par) around Royal Dalmilling Coutry Club :P Hit it very well, but my putting wasnt great. Considering my handicaps 12, i'll take that anyday!

I was 2nd in a scratch open at the weekend. Was 4 shots behind the winner so never really threatened, but considering I've nearly doubled my handicap in the last 6 weeks it was good to get cut for once, as well as the £250 voucher I picked up.

Another 9 holes played this morning and my game is looking good. On the 'wee course', there are 5 par 4s and I was on the middle of the fairway each time. If one or two putts had fell, it may have been a a lower score but went round level so was happy with my days work.

Any tips on curing a hook? I've developed a rather nasty one over the past couple of weeks, really starting to annoy me.

Any tips on curing a hook? I've developed a rather nasty one over the past couple of weeks, really starting to annoy me.

Swing more slowly is a good start. It might be due to grip or alignment but poor tempo is the cause of many faults.

The late Adam Hunter said that in all his years as a golf coach he had never had to ask a male golfer to speed up his swing.

Guest honestrae95

A hook is basically caused when the face of the club hits the ball when the clubhead is closed. It most likely means you're turning your wrists when making contact with the ball.

This might help-

"How to cure a hook"

The likely culprit is that your hands are leading your swing instead of your hips and legs. Your hands are coming through on your downswing too soon, instead of letting your hips and legs lead the way.

The best drill to correct this problem is to take a very slow back swing, exaggerate as much as needed, even come to a complete stop at the top of your backswing. This will make sure that on your downsing your hips and legs lead your arms. It is kind of like a chain reaction; your legs and hips start on the downswing, and naturally your hands and arms follow.Practice the slow backswing repeatedly. Start off with a half swing at first, and absolutely make sure that your wrists are kept straight, that they do not turn over before striking the ball/ground, and that your hands follow through to the target instead of around your body (like a baseball swing). With enough practice you will begin to feel the difference between your "hook swing" and a swing that results in a slight draw or better yet a straight trajectory.

Good luck 8)