Golfers Thread

Gaz

Erskine GC

7 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

About 200 miles out😂 

Erskine GC? Greenock GC? Helensburgh? Trying to identify the body of water in the background, and probably failing miserably.

1 minute ago, Central Belt Caley said:

A bit more East than that, the water in the background is the Forth if that helps! 

Nah, that’s me beat. I’ve not played many courses in the mysterious land of sauce on yer’ chips. 

3 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Just played 18 holes at Kemnay - course is in sensational condition and greens as good as they have ever been.  What a day to get back on the course - 23c

It is so good to be back on the course.....just cant wait for competions to start now.

Was just glancing over posts in the course car park before driving home and that made me look twice. First glance I read minus 23C 😄. Truly a microclimate up in Kemnay.

What a glorious day for us all to be back out there though. Needless to say, it took me until the 15th hole to find the middle of the clubface. Played like I did when I was a junior for the first 14! Think I've learned today that I'm certainly not a natural at golf as some others are. With plenty of practice, I'm an alright player but without that, my bad habits come back pretty quick.

Hit some absolutely dreadful shots including a shank off the first tee 🤣 and can also count myself as having lost a couple of balls. But towards the end, I hit a couple of peaches. My 5-iron second shot into a par 5 uphill was my favourite of the day.

None of this matters compared to the feeling of being back out though, enjoyed every minute of it. Course was in brilliant condition and can't wait to be back more regularly now.

Here's my photo of the 18th (I remembered on the last hole to take a photo).

IMG_20200529_165718.jpg

16 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

Was just glancing over posts in the course car park before driving home and that made me look twice. First glance I read minus 23C 😄. Truly a microclimate up in Kemnay.

What a glorious day for us all to be back out there though. Needless to say, it took me until the 15th hole to find the middle of the clubface. Played like I did when I was a junior for the first 14! Think I've learned today that I'm certainly not a natural at golf as some others are. With plenty of practice, I'm an alright player but without that, my bad habits come back pretty quick.

Hit some absolutely dreadful shots including a shank off the first tee 🤣 and can also count myself as having lost a couple of balls. But towards the end, I hit a couple of peaches. My 5-iron second shot into a par 5 uphill was my favourite of the day.

None of this matters compared to the feeling of being back out though, enjoyed every minute of it. Course was in brilliant condition and can't wait to be back more regularly now.

Here's my photo of the 18th (I remembered on the last hole to take a photo).

IMG_20200529_165718.jpg

Swailend?

another 18 holes tonight.

Does anyone know when competitive golf (medals) are likely to return?  My club is having a period of social golf - which is fair enough as it will allow all members a chance to get on the course.  I believe the main issue about competitive golf would be the scoring and use of electronic (phone based) scoring rather than scorecard.  I understand V1 (howdidido) will have an app "very soon" but not sure when and whether or not it will be a method most clubs can adopt. I pretty much only play competitive golf and sure i will get bored of bounce games once the novelty of actually getting on the course wears off

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

Does anyone know when competitive golf (medals) are likely to return?  My club is having a period of social golf - which is fair enough as it will allow all members a chance to get on the course.  I believe the main issue about competitive golf would be the scoring and use of electronic (phone based) scoring rather than scorecard.  I understand V1 (howdidido) will have an app "very soon" but not sure when and whether or not it will be a method most clubs can adopt. I pretty much only play competitive golf and sure i will get bored of bounce games once the novelty of actually getting on the course wears off

I’m playing at my place tomorrow at 7.25am again, will ask our pro’ Gordon Stewart, if he has any idea about a date for medals to resume. I’m cool about it. No medals has meant my handicap hasn’t went up a point every week. 😀

Our captain is hopeful it will be 3 or 4 weeks. Will be surprised if that is the case tbh, biggest problem is a method of certifiable scoring that will be acceptable to the golf unions.

Taken from an article in National Club Golfer last week - I used Golf Genious at an Open at Dundonald three years ago - works very well.  The VMS system was going to be made available for this purpose "very soon" according to the V1 app last week (https://scottish.golf/)

"There are tournament management software providers, such as Golf Genius, that already handle hundreds of thousands of competitions worldwide completely virtually.

The firm, which powers nearly every state and regional golf association in the USA through its partnership with USGA Tournament Management, allows players to enter their scores for any type of event, and group size, through its app on a smartphone, as well as viewing live leaderboards and custom event websites.

Scotland’s Venue Management System will give participating clubs the opportunity to make their events completely digital.

From paying for a competition, to signing in, to entering scores and certifying a virtual scorecard which then uploads to the cloud, there is nothing a player won’t be able to do on a tournament day from their palm of their hand."

18 holes played this morning, played ok, could have been better but could have been a hell of a lot worse. Was just absolutely glorious getting out, especially with the weather being as good as it is. Course is in surprisingly good nick as well:

IMG_3477.jpg
IMG_3481.jpg
IMG_3484.jpg
IMG_3485.jpg

Will definitely try and get a few evening swings this week as well.