Golfers Thread

Gaz

I've gotten used to the pin staying in, tbh - the ThinPins used at Ladybank are excellent, I've never seen a putt hit at anything close to the correct pace stay out using those: https://thin-pin.com

I suppose it depends on the system being used (the plastic "oversleeves" that have a bit of a trampoline effect are horrible), but I find that some systems allow you to jam shorter putts between the the stick and the lip, meaning a bit of borrow to be taken out of the equation.

30 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

yup im the same...seem to find myself looking at the sides of the hole rather than the middle...another gripe of mine is you hit a good putt dead center of the hole it hits the pin and stays out...pisses me off that does.

TBH I've had more putts that went in after hitting the pin when with pin out I doubt they'd have dropped. Swings and roundabouts I suspect.

5 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

TBH I've had more putts that went in after hitting the pin when with pin out I doubt they'd have dropped. Swings and roundabouts I suspect.

im pretty sure our club had a discussion about putts hitting the flag and staying out and were told that it counts as being holed...i play in a 3 ball every week and we have never ever used that excuse as to me its taking fucking liberties you hit a putt from 40 ft going about 80 mph and hits the flag and ends up 10 ft away does not in my opinion count as being in...the quicker we get back to rakes in bunkers and flags out the better.

2 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

im pretty sure our club had a discussion about putts hitting the flag and staying out and were told that it counts as being holed...i play in a 3 ball every week and we have never ever used that excuse as to me its taking fucking liberties you hit a putt from 40 ft going about 80 mph and hits the flag and ends up 10 ft away does not in my opinion count as being in...the quicker we get back to rakes in bunkers and flags out the better.

At my club if the ball hits the pin and stays out that's tough. Rub of the green.

We do have a local rule that in a bunker the ball can be placed within 6 inches of where it lies. Really designed to overcome the increased risk of being in a footprint or whatever as no rakes available. Ball has to be placed within the bunker.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

At my club if the ball hits the pin and stays out that's tough. Rub of the green.

We do have a local rule that in a bunker the ball can be placed within 6 inches of where it lies. Really designed to overcome the increased risk of being in a footprint or whatever as no rakes available. Ball has to be placed within the bunker.

yup thats the way we play its not in unlucky...and we do have the same rule in the bunkers......one thing i laughed at this week was a member whos handicap over the last 5 weeks was 18-21-18-26-15 how the f**k does that even happen with the new handicap system we use.

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

That's Scottish Golf guidance for competition play, although I often hear it referred to as a preferred lie in the bunker, which is not what is intended.

We have the same bunker rule but if the ball hits the flag then tough Titties. Kingennie’s holes have a foam insert In them that aren’t very deep. Not only does it look shite but it’s a bit off putting. 

Edited by lichtie23

Just now, Meeniedee said:

one thing i laughed at this week was a member whos handicap over the last 5 weeks was 18-21-18-26-15 how the f**k does that even happen with the new handicap system we use.

I'm not sure what the limits of the "Hard" and "Soft" caps are in reality, but an upward movement of 8 surely can't be right... 😆

1 minute ago, funky_nomad said:

I'm not sure what the limits of the "Hard" and "Soft" caps are in reality, but an upward movement of 8 surely can't be right... 😆

something has went wrong 🤣im not one to have a go at anybodies golfing abilities but when he was playing off 18-21 his stableford scores were in the 20's he got a 26 handicap and shot 47 points then went down to 15 and had a gross 98..ive nae idea how it works but something stinks there.

I remember the "hit the flag and it's good" system was in use when golf initially returned after Lockdown 1, with greenkeepers devising all sorts of systems for the flagsticks (and there was nothing close to competition play), but there's absolutely no way such a "rule" can be in play during any form of competitive golf. 

Just now, Meeniedee said:

something has went wrong 🤣im not one to have a go at anybodies golfing abilities but when he was playing off 18-21 his stableford scores were in the 20's he got a 26 handicap and shot 47 points then went down to 15 and had a gross 98..ive nae idea how it works but something stinks there.

That 47 points sounds like someone entering their Stableford points as a gross score by accident to me. I've seen it done 🤪

4 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

That just doesn't make sense. I had a miserable 25 stableford points yesterday and it made no difference to my handicap as it's thankfully not one of my best 8 scores in the last 20. Equally I had an absolutely stellar nett 65 (42 stableford points) after a round of 3 over par 74 two weeks ago. It obviously reduced my handicap but not by anything like the fluctuations you are describing as again it's only one score out of 8 scores being averaged. The only thing I can think of is the player you are describing has only very few counting cards and the system is fluctuating to reflect that. I'm not certain how the calculations go in that respect.

**Fantasy Golf Week 19**

tenor-39.gif.8d85983643c221cdb489159f81124823.gif

It's been 478 tournaments

Heartwarming stuff at the Belfry as Richard Bland wins at the 478th attempt, there's hope for everyone. K H Lee also won his 1st big boy event at a soggy Craig Ranch, only taking a mere 80 events to break his duck and continuing the great recent run by Asian golfers over on the PGA. He's a bit of an unknown, so here's his PGA profile.IMG_20210516_181756.jpg.b9840fcfbae148bb449ee20f5dfe13e2.jpg

Always important to have a good motto imo.

Barely any points handed out, highest score was 16, so no Race to Whistling Straits table this week, but it'll be back next time.

Overall standings 

875 @J_Stewart

860 @die hard doonhamer

808 @Tartan Dave

804 @alta-pete

776 @Ro Sham Bo

761 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

747 @lichtie23

725 @peasy23

696 @Henderson to deliver .....

666 @Distant Doonhamer

541 @Honest_Man#1

wanamaker-trophy-pga-championship.jpg.738e8e296292abd7d0d390eb6ff7c927.jpg

The 2nd major championship of the year has arrived (loud cheers) and it's the one that's traditionally considered the worst of the 4 (cheers turn to boos, people are now throwing things at me). This year's USPGA Championship is at Pete Dye's Ocean Course at Kiawah Island.

kiawah-also-could-be-a-cover-copy.thumb.jpg.4162eefb6011abd7c37f689c78c87753.jpg

In the late eighties, on the South Carolina coast, Pete Dye was asked to create one of the toughest golf courses in the world to host the 1991 Ryder Cup, and what a job he did. Water, sand, waste areas, native grasses and knee high fescue to test the best before you get to the raised but small green complexes, all with a stiff wind blowing in off the Atlantic. Playing over 7,800 yards this week to make it the longest major championship course ever.

kiawah-island-ocean-course-real.jpg.70f0b4685747db77c73c04c898e8991d.jpg

Rory won here last time and may have hit form at just the right time. DJ has struggled this year, but is a Carolina native and will know the course well. The form of the rest of the elite is patchy, with Schauffele and Rahm coming under more pressure than most as each major passes without them breaking their duck. The Europeans did well last time out in 2012, only 3 Americans made the top 10. With length and accuracy required here, plus the ability to putt well on the uncommon and slower paspalum greens, could it be the turn of Viktor Hovland, with both his tour wins coming on coastal tracks with paspalum greens, to cement his place in golf's elite ?

gary-kellner.thumb.jpg.d2db070c1dc099ee0632311378b15ac4.jpg

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

That just doesn't make sense. I had a miserable 25 stableford points yesterday and it made no difference to my handicap as it's thankfully not one of my best 8 scores in the last 20. Equally I had an absolutely stellar nett 65 (42 stableford points) after a round of 3 over par 74 two weeks ago. It obviously reduced my handicap but not by anything like the fluctuations you are describing as again it's only one score out of 8 scores being averaged. The only thing I can think of is the player you are describing has only very few counting cards and the system is fluctuating to reflect that. I'm not certain how the calculations go in that respect.

i know it doesnt make sense ive just asked the question on the clubs facebook page asking somebody to explain whats went on...i had a nett 66 the other week and came down 0.9...for a swing of that amount of strokes in 3 games something has went wrong someplace.

well go ask her will she mind having a wee detour to fairmuir park then to charleston before heading up to kingennie then do the same again when we are finished...my mrs would do the same for you actually wait no she wouldnt 🤣

11 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

well go ask her will she mind having a wee detour to fairmuir park then to charleston before heading up to kingennie then do the same again when we are finished...my mrs would do the same for you actually wait no she wouldnt 🤣

Surely it would be post round pints on the outdoor bit with my discount