Golfers Thread

Gaz

42 minutes ago, Proposition Joe said:

Don't know why, but the boy from Strictly Come Dancing, Anton Du Beke having a 2.9 handicap has blown my mind..

IMG_20210908_100000.thumb.jpg.d364199df404d42ff7b46c5cbf66c28f.jpg

IMG_20210908_095958.thumb.jpg.5782f3fdf62e2784aadc6097c8585322.jpg

I followed Shevchenko and Del Piero for a few holes at the Dunhill a few years back. Andriy is a left handed who hits the ball a mile. 

Nothing really from left field from Stricker.

Finau, Schauffele and Speith were 7th, 8th and 9th on the standings and been locked in as picks for a while.

Next 5 were

10th English
11th Reed
12th Berger
13th Simpson
14th Scheffler

Reed maybe hasn't played enough golf for Stricker's liking, or maybe he just thinks he will have enough problems trying to manage DeChambeau in the team without adding Reed into the mix.

Simpson failed to make the top 30 for the Tour Championship, while Scheffler played well at the WGC Matchplay earlier in the year.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Nothing really from left field from Stricker.

Finau, Schauffele and Speith were 7th, 8th and 9th on the standings and been locked in as picks for a while.

Next 5 were

10th English
11th Reed
12th Berger
13th Simpson
14th Scheffler

Reed maybe hasn't played enough golf for Stricker's liking, or maybe he just thinks he will have enough problems trying to manage DeChambeau in the team without adding Reed into the mix.

Simpson failed to make the top 30 for the Tour Championship, while Scheffler played well at the WGC Matchplay earlier in the year.

It makes a bit of a nonsense of the need for 6 captains picks. I can't see any situation where 3 or 4 picks isn't plenty.

It makes a bit of a nonsense of the need for 6 captains picks. I can't see any situation where 3 or 4 picks isn't plenty.
This was what the post Gleneagles "task force" wanted IIRC. It's far too many, can't imagine any situation where the guys in 7th to 9th don't get picked.

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Hatton is the one giving most cause for concern, he has hardly played this year. In his last 5 outings going back to the US Open he has missed the cut in 3 of them.

Most of the concern is over the English players. Hatton, Fitzpatrick and Fleetwood all pretty much had qualification in the bag by the end of last year but have struggled in recent months. Fitzpatrick was in contention at the Scottish Open and Fleetwood was last week but there's not much there to inspire confidence in any of them. 

Westwood is another I worry about. He had a great spring but has done nothing this summer. 

I'm assuming these guys are all playing at Wentworth so hopefully they pick up some momentum there. 

The US team is deep this year, I think we'll struggle out there. Out of form players on a long slog of a course against a bunch of big hitters doesn't bode well I fear. On a wider theme, I think we're heading into an age where the home sides will triumph more often than not. We'll lose here, maybe heavily, but would be pretty confident of regaining at Marco Simone in 2 years.

The European side has an end of an era feel about it. Westwood, Rose, Stenson, Poulter, Garcia. All part of a successful couple of decades. This is going to be a step too far for some.

22 hours ago, Albertlegend said:

I'm playing the Rosemount at Blairgowrie this week, is it a tough track, as a 20 handicapper will I need loads of balls??? 

Looking forward to it though most reviews seem to be good. 

Yeah it’s a nice course, it’s tough but not ridiculously so, will be an enjoyable round!

Hatton and Hovland out together today and tomorrow. Harrington looking at a potential partnership there I reckon.

Edit: Harrington is actually playing with them, duh.

Vice captain G-Mac out with Boab and Noren, who is a dark horse for a captains pick imo.

Also Luke Donald is a VC and is out with Stenson.

Edited by Proposition Joe