Golfers Thread

Gaz

Having drifted up to 9.3 hadn`t played for 2 weeks other than 9 holes on Friday. Clearly what was required as got 40 points in stableford today. Played early so not sure what CSS was but should get a decent cut :)

Good shooting, well done

Played an open at Cullen - first time I had ever played the course despite being only about 30miles down the road.

Started by hooking my drive out of bounds on the first - thought it was going to be a long day.

However, I rallied and shot a gross 80 for a nett 59! Played brillantly bar 2/3 holes towards the end when I realised I was on for a score and the nerves kicked in. Got myself together for the last couple though.

Broke a few personal bests with it - lowest gross, most pars and most consecutive pars. Now down to 19.8 which is my lowest handicap - started the season at 26!

Delighted with how yesterday went...even if I did come second!! haha

Great stuff. Net 59 :o

I can only imagine how often you have heard the term "bandit" since you finished :lol:

Well played, sounds like you can really aim to come down a good few strokes more :thumsup2

Great stuff. Net 59 :o

I can only imagine how often you have heard the term "bandit" since you finished :lol:

Well played, sounds like you can really aim to come down a good few strokes more :thumsup2

You;d probably not be surprised to hear that's nae my first net 59 of the season...I don't think some of the members at my club know my real name - haha!

My aim at the start of the season was to get from 26 down to 22ish. If I can finish under 20, will be delighted!

Just joined Kings Acre GC, really nice course. Played it a couple of times a few years back but played it on Sunday and handed card in to get handicap, shot a 94, way too inconsistent, another card off boxes next week and playing in medal the following week and I will have handicap, pity its getting later into season should have done this 4 months ago

Wondering what folks thoughts are on re-newing irons. I've played off 9 in the past but would be closer to 17 or 18 handicap now. I bought my irons (Mizuno) back in 1996 from American Golf Discount (the were second hand then) and wondering if a new set of irons is likely to help any? I've always liked the Mizuno irons and they are still in decent nick so don't want to replace them if its unlikely to make any difference.

Played an open at Cullen - first time I had ever played the course despite being only about 30miles down the road.

Started by hooking my drive out of bounds on the first - thought it was going to be a long day.

However, I rallied and shot a gross 80 for a nett 59! Played brillantly bar 2/3 holes towards the end when I realised I was on for a score and the nerves kicked in. Got myself together for the last couple though.

Broke a few personal bests with it - lowest gross, most pars and most consecutive pars. Now down to 19.8 which is my lowest handicap - started the season at 26!

Delighted with how yesterday went...even if I did come second!! haha

Cullen is one of my favourite courses. Amazing views and more often than not it is sunny.

Wednesday Medal today and I *think* I might have done enough to win it.

Shot an 89 net 65 (6 under). So far on the leaderboard I'm ahead by 2 strokes so hopefully I can hold out.

CSS I expect will be 70 rather than 71 so I should get a cut by 2 and be down to 21.8. Was hoping to get to under 22 this season so I've reached my target already :)

High points: Putting my tee shot into the burn at the 14th, taking the drop and putting my third shot 5 feet from the hole from 156 yards, putting for a Par 4

Low points: three-putting from two-and-a-half feet on the 4th. Misjudged the pace of the putt and left my first one too far away to get the second one in.

Wondering what folks thoughts are on re-newing irons. I've played off 9 in the past but would be closer to 17 or 18 handicap now. I bought my irons (Mizuno) back in 1996 from American Golf Discount (the were second hand then) and wondering if a new set of irons is likely to help any? I've always liked the Mizuno irons and they are still in decent nick so don't want to replace them if its unlikely to make any difference.

Shafts are more important than clubheads.

Shafts are more important than clubheads.

To an extent. Shafts have moved on at a faster pace, but you would definitely notice a difference hitting modern clubheads compared with 20 year old clubheads.

Wednesday Medal today and I *think* I might have done enough to win it.

Shot an 89 net 65 (6 under). So far on the leaderboard I'm ahead by 2 strokes so hopefully I can hold out.

CSS I expect will be 70 rather than 71 so I should get a cut by 2 and be down to 21.8. Was hoping to get to under 22 this season so I've reached my target already :)

High points: Putting my tee shot into the burn at the 14th, taking the drop and putting my third shot 5 feet from the hole from 156 yards, putting for a Par 4

Low points: three-putting from two-and-a-half feet on the 4th. Misjudged the pace of the putt and left my first one too far away to get the second one in.

CSS of 71, down to 21 :)

The modern technology will have you hitting the ball a good 10-20 yards further than before. Plus most irons these days are super sized for more forgiveness. Sometimes a change in equipment is the boost a player needs. At one point i could hit my irons great then went into a slump for months....now i changed the irons and hit it good again.

Played St.Michaels in Fife on Tuesday night as they do rounds for £10 after 5pm. Nice little course, front and back nine are like 2 different courses. Haar came in on the 14th and couldn't see the green by the time we got to the 17th.

Golf wasn't too great. Level par through 4 then went a little downhill from there. Ended up 8 over on the front nine. Back nine was a story of poor putting. Missed 5 birdie puts and ended up 3 putting 2 of them for bogeys. For the first time in a while tee to green was good but the putting stopped me from scoring. Might give it another go next week as you can't go wrong for a tenner.

The modern technology will have you hitting the ball a good 10-20 yards further than before. Plus most irons these days are super sized for more forgiveness. Sometimes a change in equipment is the boost a player needs. At one point i could hit my irons great then went into a slump for months....now i changed the irons and hit it good again.

Cheers mate. Think I will take the plunge and get a new set. I'll be measuring strictly though so be prepared for some negative feedback if the extra 10-20 yards doesn't happen :P

Played St.Michaels in Fife on Tuesday night as they do rounds for £10 after 5pm. Nice little course, front and back nine are like 2 different courses. Haar came in on the 14th and couldn't see the green by the time we got to the 17th.

Golf wasn't too great. Level par through 4 then went a little downhill from there. Ended up 8 over on the front nine. Back nine was a story of poor putting. Missed 5 birdie puts and ended up 3 putting 2 of them for bogeys. For the first time in a while tee to green was good but the putting stopped me from scoring. Might give it another go next week as you can't go wrong for a tenner.

I thought the newer holes were pretty boring but the old established 9 holes were pretty good.

Having drifted up to 9.3 hadn`t played for 2 weeks other than 9 holes on Friday. Clearly what was required as got 40 points in stableford today. Played early so not sure what CSS was but should get a decent cut :)

Funny game golf. Having resigned myself to the seeming inevitability of losing single figure status before the above round, then playing really poorly midweek, I went round in 77 net 68 yesterday and am now down to 7.8. :P

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Cheers mate. Think I will take the plunge and get a new set. I'll be measuring strictly though so be prepared for some negative feedback if the extra 10-20 yards doesn't happen :P

Couple of my mates have recently got John Letters TR47 irons (3 and 4 are hybrids).

Both very pleased with them and certainly seem to be getting more distance than with previous irons.