Golfers Thread

Gaz

10 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Why doesn’t he announce his retirement? Personally, I simply don’t like the guy, but he’s an all-time great. Just fcuking chuck it though. Seriously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/65330817

I get that, but there’s a time to bow out with your dignity intact - although that kunt lost his when he was not only shagging Las Vegas cocktail waitresses behind his wife’s back, but allowed his blissfully ignorant long-time caddy to be quizzed about it in a live New Zealand TV interview. That, and being skelped with a 3 iron by your jilted wife, and drink driving… just fcuking chuck it cunto.

OK, take the personal life stuff out of it, and just look at the back issues, knee issues, ankle operations, and a car crash that nearly saw a leg amputated… time to fcuking chuck it.

Fair?

Steve Williams never knew about them and his boss let him down big time, knowing the story was breaking.

I’m quite happy in my opinion that Woods is an all time great, but a kunt.

Take the greatest player of all time’s name out of your fucking mouth.

Most geniuses are flawed. He arguably may not have hit the heights he did on the course if it wasn't for his dysfunctional behavioural traits off the course.

I wasn't a huge fan of Woods when he was absolutely dominating the game tbh, and I still say Nicklaus was the greatest of all time. I do however think Woods has become less of a dick as he's become a more "ordinary" golfer and I was actually quite pleased he won the Masters thon last time.

However he should absolutely retire after this season, his body is quite plainly fucked and I don't think anyone wants to see him regularly rocking up on Sponsors invites to shoot 78-NR every time. 

Tiger wants the Masters consecutive cut record on his own, so I imagine the next 11 months of post-op rehab and tournament schedules will be geared towards playing well enough in time for Augusta next year. I don't think anyone will begrudge him that, surely - he deserves the capacity to say goodbye to competing in the Masters on his own terms given how many iconic moments he's created there..

17 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

Tiger wants the Masters consecutive cut record on his own, so I imagine the next 11 months of post-op rehab and tournament schedules will be geared towards playing well enough in time for Augusta next year. I don't think anyone will begrudge him that, surely - he deserves the capacity to say goodbye to competing in the Masters on his own terms given how many iconic moments he's created there..

I think the same. He's clearly not going to get to 18 majors, and he's currently tied for most PGA tour wins with Sam Snead, but any tour win is almost impossible now so he's not going to break that record either.

The consecutive cuts at the Masters is the only attainable record left for him to break. I expect he'll play August next year and then retire.

2 hours ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

I wasn't a huge fan of Woods when he was absolutely dominating the game tbh, and I still say Nicklaus was the greatest of all time. I do however think Woods has become less of a dick as he's become a more "ordinary" golfer and I was actually quite pleased he won the Masters thon last time.

However he should absolutely retire after this season, his body is quite plainly fucked and I don't think anyone wants to see him regularly rocking up on Sponsors invites to shoot 78-NR every time

The viewing figures for events he appears at, and size of crowds following him Vs other golfers, would beg to differ. Him shooting 78 is still a bigger draw than most of the competition. The PGA Tour will be dreading the day he decides he’s had enough.

Bob MacIntyre has said he is trying to be more positive on the course and to try not to let the bad shots affect him as much. Certainly seemed to work today as he opened with a 66 in Japan, with David Law and Scott Jamieson on the same mark. 

Bob dropped 3 shots, but birdied the next hole to get the shot back each time.

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The viewing figures for events he appears at, and size of crowds following him Vs other golfers, would beg to differ. Him shooting 78 is still a bigger draw than most of the competition. The PGA Tour will be dreading the day he decides he’s had enough.

Tbf a lot of that will be rubber-neckers wanting to watch his ongoing descent to total mediocrity. Hopefully he has a bit of self respect and cans things before he's barely able to break 80. 

Plus if he looks after himself well and takes time out for treatment and recovery and is even a quarter the player he was, he'd absolutely clean up on the champions tour. At proper PGA level however he is completely finished as a competitive golfer. 

I wonder if Tiger will play his last Open this year. It's at Hoylake, where he is a previous winner, and that would seem a good place to go out. He could then finish at the Masters next season, either with his cut streak ended or as the record holder.

2 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I means FFS…533EED58-F8B8-4511-AC4E-061FA8BF47A9.thumb.jpeg.c6839bbfb1adca5217f14bb0db269e36.jpeg

c9fca9e0-c596-4c2f-8cc3-3b855a476e61_tex

5 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I wonder if Tiger will play his last Open this year. It's at Hoylake, where he is a previous winner, and that would seem a good place to go out. He could then finish at the Masters next season, either with his cut streak ended or as the record holder.

c9fca9e0-c596-4c2f-8cc3-3b855a476e61_tex

Can’t see it surely with the surgery he’s just had. Would expect him to be out for a good while, potentially until Augusta next year.

14 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Bob MacIntyre has said he is trying to be more positive on the course and to try not to let the bad shots affect him as much. Certainly seemed to work today as he opened with a 66 in Japan, with David Law and Scott Jamieson on the same mark. 

Didn’t seem to do him much good today. A +2 with 2 double bogeys within 3 holes. The cut is currently at -1 but youd imagine that will drop to -2 or -3 which would mean Bob’s a goner. 

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Didn’t seem to do him much good today. A +2 with 2 double bogeys within 3 holes. The cut is currently at -1 but youd imagine that will drop to -2 or -3 which would mean Bob’s a goner. 

Looks like Bob will make the cut with nothing to spare. 
Grant Forrest tied for the lead after a super round of 8 under. 

On 20/04/2023 at 14:34, peasy23 said:

When Bob won in Italy I remember him having a wee jibe at folk who had been doubting him and it suggested to me his head isn't in the right place. As hard as it may be, to be a top player you need to be able to block out everything people say about you and get on with your game. As much as I hate him, Cantlay is actually a good example; he's getting it in the neck from all angles for his style but still doesn't give a shit and plays his own game. It seems Bob might be too quick to indulge in what's said about him online and that must come into his head when the bad shots start on the course. I hope he gets it sorted as he's a smashing player but it's looking a bit like he can't cope with the relative expectation that's on him.