Golfers Thread

Gaz

On 15/05/2023 at 10:41, bobbydazzler said:

what do people do when playing with angry golfers? played a tie yesterday and one of them were the angriest player ever, smashing driver off the ground, throwing ball into trees the lot.

Also played with a guy like that just ignored it to be honest best of it was he shot 73 and m being a 20 handicapper I'd bit Shia hand off for thst

On 15/05/2023 at 10:48, lichtie23 said:

5&4 win in the 2nd round (I got 1st round bye) of our handicap singles yesterday. Played steady enough but was massively helped by my opponent being simply atrocious on the greens. Some of the worst putting Iv ever seen. Was 5up at the turn then pitched in from 40 yards out on 10 to go 6up and put the dagger into it. 

I've made it into the last 16 of our handicap singles after winning two ties in the last few weeks.

1st round I was getting 7 shots, it was all square after 15, I won 16 then he won 17 to take it up the last. I managed to win it with a par 4.

2nd round I was only getting 1 shot on the 12th, but managed to be 3 up after 7. He got back to 2 a couple of times but I was dormie after 15. He won 16, and on the par 3 17th he came up just short of the green. I then thinned an 8 iron that went like a tracer bullet that ended up on the green. 😂 He duffed his chip and I lagged it up close so it was game over.

Common denominator in both ties was that they were both in their early 30s and drove the ball for miles, but their short games were dreadful. 

44 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I've made it into the last 16 of our handicap singles after winning two ties in the last few weeks.

1st round I was getting 7 shots, it was all square after 15, I won 16 then he won 17 to take it up the last. I managed to win it with a par 4.

2nd round I was only getting 1 shot on the 12th, but managed to be 3 up after 7. He got back to 2 a couple of times but I was dormie after 15. He won 16, and on the par 3 17th he came up just short of the green. I then thinned an 8 iron that went like a tracer bullet that ended up on the green. 😂 He duffed his chip and I lagged it up close so it was game over.

Common denominator in both ties was that they were both in their early 30s and drove the ball for miles, but their short games were dreadful. 

Great stuff mate. 

1 hour ago, DodgyKnee73 said:

I have actually done this. I had a tie years ago that went up the 1st extra hole. I was having to give him a shot on it (370 yard par 4) and it was downwind, so i just went for a smash with the drive and sliced it OB. He popped a rescue up the middle. I decided to hit another one and hope i holed the 4th shot or something ridiculous, so popped a 3 wood down the middle.

He found the back of the green in 2 nett 1. I stiffed a gap wedge for a conceded and seemingly pointless 5, but decided to at least see his first putt, which he left 10 feet short. He hit the next one 8 inches past but still had a total tap in for a 5 nett 4. However it was a nasty wee right-to-left so i made him putt it. He totally yipped it (don't think it even hit the hole) and somehow halved the hole to take it up the 2nd, par 3.

I stuck mine safely on the green and i think he thinned his off the tee into a bunker miles short, his head had completely gone. The long walk back to the clubhouse was a bit awkward to say the least. He was actually fine about it later. My theory was always if it's a putt you'd be grateful to be conceded yourself, make them putt it. 

It’s the old Seve and Olly trick. Give them everything inside 4 feet, and every straight putt inside 6 until you get a horrible short breaker, and they realise they haven’t hit a short putt all round and completely shit themselves.

Other classics include hitting your tee shot onto a par 3 green and having your putter in hand before they have addressed the ball, and standing on a shortish par 4 with driver in hand on their honour so they hit a wild one, then you pull a shorter club and just lay up into the middle

6 minutes ago, Marlo Stanfield said:

Not much hype for the PGA in here. Course looks amazing, incredible restoration done there.

Fancy Rory, Cantley and Big Tone this week, with a Harris English longshot.

Gone for my standard Spieth and Bob bets, but genuinely have no idea who else. Cantlay seems to be getting a lot of hype though, so looking forward to seeing what happens when he holes his final putt some time on Tuesday morning...

A few bets for me this week. As Iv said Iv went E/W on Mackenzie Hughes at 400/1. Also got a load of players to make the cut. Boosted treble on Rory, Fitzpatrick and Tyrell all being top 20 and a 4 fold 72 hole match play bet.