Golfers Thread

Gaz

What's the craic with this walking up the line of a putt with your feet either side. See a lot of them doing it and rocking side to side on their feet on the way up. Must be leaving  some indentation in the green doing that.... Trying to set up little dips to stop the ball running off line it almost looks like

41 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

What's the craic with this walking up the line of a putt with your feet either side. See a lot of them doing it and rocking side to side on their feet on the way up. Must be leaving  some indentation in the green doing that.... Trying to set up little dips to stop the ball running off line it almost looks like

It's to try to feel the slope in the green, and is part of Aim Point

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CFyAQTPHnrF/

Ffs Rory missing a kick in birdie at the second then the last two putts iv seen him hit have been just horrendously misread. Meanwhile, various other players just going about the business of canning birdies from all over the green. 

Once again the talk tomorrow will be how amazingly well Rory played but it just didn't come together on the greens or some shit. 

On 23/06/2023 at 22:10, Disco Duck said:

What’s the best course people have played? 

Camelback in Scottsdale, Arizona. Over here, Kingsbarns probably.

If we’re talking ‘normal, affordable’ Scottish golf clubs - I always enjoy East Kilbride GC, Pitreavie GC, and last year, Elderslie GC was by a distance, in the best condition of any ‘normal’ course I’ve ever played. If I lived South of the River Clyde, I’d definitely join East Kilbride GC though. Really nice big modern clubhouse too, with panoramic views to the course and excellent grub.

Camelback… in case anyone thought it was Elderslie. 😀

A9C4F4C1-E1CB-4B2A-B1F5-25E094294CEC.jpeg

18857B0C-99C1-4F1E-8E37-6BB0DC07C3C9.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

9 hours ago, pozbaird said:

If we’re talking ‘normal, affordable’ Scottish golf clubs - I always enjoy East Kilbride GC, Pitreavie GC, and last year, Elderslie GC was by a distance, in the best condition of any ‘normal’ course I’ve ever played. If I lived South of the River Clyde, I’d definitely join East Kilbride GC though. Really nice big modern clubhouse too, with panoramic views to the course and excellent grub.

Camelback… in case anyone thought it was Elderslie. 😀

A9C4F4C1-E1CB-4B2A-B1F5-25E094294CEC.jpeg

18857B0C-99C1-4F1E-8E37-6BB0DC07C3C9.jpeg

Would probably agree on Kingsbarns, although Royal Aberdeen runs it close for me.  The Marquess at Woburn is pretty special too.

have hardly played overseas, need to travel more!

On 23/06/2023 at 22:10, Disco Duck said:

What’s the best course people have played? 

The pre-Trump Ailsa would be objectively the best, but my favourite was the Machrie on Islay. They've now renovated it and it's still a great course, but less fun now. The 6th had a blind tee shot over a massive sand dune followed by an approach to a green hidden in a hollow!

It was our Championship and 75th anniversary finals today.

The 75th final had two guys with stroke indexes of 4.5 and 24.9. Result was a 22 stroke difference, meaning the low man was giving away 44 shots in the 36 hole final.🙈

Did well to only lose 4 & 3 imo.

11 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I’m very much not a golfer but what I do have was born out of pitreavie, largely I think because it was a cheap babysitter 😂.   In course design it is really really good.  You don’t design Augusta without having a few good ideas up your sleaze and that’s certainly provided.   It isn’t a links course and can’t provide any spectator facilities apart from maybe the 18th so would never have become.  championship course but I can’t help but think of had the potential had things been a little different . It certainly requires a bit more thinking than you would expect for a local course and tbh a lot more than most ‘tourist’ setups a lot of championship courses go with most months.

9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I’m very much not a golfer but what I do have was born out of pitreavie, largely I think because it was a cheap babysitter 😂.   In course design it is really really good.  You don’t design Augusta without having a few good ideas up your sleaze and that’s certainly provided.   It isn’t a links course and can’t provide any spectator facilities apart from maybe the 18th so would never have become.  championship course but I can’t help but think of had the potential had things been a little different . It certainly requires a bit more thinking than you would expect for a local course and tbh a lot more than most ‘tourist’ setups a lot of championship courses go with most months.

Agree. The design of many greens at Pitreavie gives you the fear if you get on the wrong side of the ‘Augusta like’ slopes, and the Par 3s are tremendous. It’s not perfect, but if you lifted Pitreavie and dropped it where Gleneagles is, it would be up there with many of Scotland’s best known courses. I don’t mean that as a slight on Dunfermline, or suggesting Pitreavie runs through a dump of an area or anything. Part of it does run past a big sports complex and playing fields etc though. As a course, plop it beside the Kings, Queens, and PGA Centenary courses at Gleneagles, and you’d have visiting Yanks & Japanese falling over themselves to play it.

In terms of best course has to be current Ailsa, just phenomenal design, views etc and also great fun to play. 

Few other top quality courses in terms of layout etc like Muirfield, Trump Aberdeen, Kingsbarns & Dornoch that would rank as ‘best courses’ but if  talking purely fun then it would be either Prestwick, North Berwick or Castle Stuart for me. Could play any of them every day for the rest of my life.