Golfers Thread

Gaz

Had a sensational heads gone round today.

Stood on the 13th tee looking on for no worse than an 85, and maybe even lower given there were two par threes and a very short par 4 coming up.

With that thought in mind, I proceeded to rack up a 10 on the 13th and a 7 on the very straightforward par 5 14th. Finished up with a 96.

FFS.

13 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Had a sensational heads gone round today.

Stood on the 13th tee looking on for no worse than an 85, and maybe even lower given there were two par threes and a very short par 4 coming up.

With that thought in mind, I proceeded to rack up a 10 on the 13th and a 7 on the very straightforward par 5 14th. Finished up with a 96.

FFS.

I turned in a 98 today, having been as good as.... Well probably ever from tee to green, but my performance with the putter was at the point where it is getting embarrassing. Like I was standing over putts worried not about whether they would go in, but whether or not anyone would laugh at me. It was absolutely fucking atrocious with what was up until today, an improving part of my game

E-mail from Scottish Golf today….

We regret to inform you, your handicap is no longer 12.6, it is 13 dead. As are your hopes of ever winning a medal. You dick. Thank you, Scottish Golf.

I think they could work on their bedside manner. 🤪

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I turned in a 98 today, having been as good as.... Well probably ever from tee to green, but my performance with the putter was at the point where it is getting embarrassing. Like I was standing over putts worried not about whether they would go in, but whether or not anyone would laugh at me. It was absolutely fucking atrocious with what was up until today, an improving part of my game

I just completely lost the run of myself. I hit an absolute shocker of a tee shot to start the hole where I made a 10 but it bounced out the trees and sat up nicely. Instead of taking that as a break in my favour I proceeded to f**k it directly into a bush, hack out, then smash a perfectly struck five wood into a bunch of trees behind the green. Lost ball, two chips, three putts = 10. Moronic.

7 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I just completely lost the run of myself. I hit an absolute shocker of a tee shot to start the hole where I made a 10 but it bounced out the trees and sat up nicely. Instead of taking that as a break in my favour I proceeded to f**k it directly into a bush, hack out, then smash a perfectly struck five wood into a bunch of trees behind the green. Lost ball, two chips, three putts = 10. Moronic.

There's always fucking something

Even my nasty af putting performance wouldn't have shown up as bad if not for a 7 on the front 9, despite being 30 yards off the green in 2, and then a 9 on the back 9 where I lost the only ball of the day OB off the tee. Its a brutal sport like. Punishment only ever millimetres away 

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

At first I read that as you saying you turned in 98.... 

15 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Turned around the trees to approach Deer Park’s Par 3 4th hole and their were 11 guys on the tee. A fourball teeing off, the fourball in front of us waiting, and our threeball who putted out on the 3rd and walked over to join them. One of our fourball hadn’t racked up at all so we got sent out amongst all the fourballs as a three. Eleven guys on one tee. Thing is, I never knew it was fourball strokeplay. My mate is a member at Deer Park and phoned me two nights before it to say there was a cancellation at his 10.36 tee time and I could jump online and get it. I wasn’t meant to be playing, it was a last minute thing. I rolled up not knowing. 😝

I've played club golf for the best part of 45 years, and I've never even heard of singles strokeplay competitions being played in fourballs before this.

11 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

I've played club golf for the best part of 45 years, and I've never even heard of singles strokeplay competitions being played in fourballs before this.

My mate who is the Deer Park member says it’s just ££££ for their coffers by their committee. More players at £15 a pop. He told me a lot of games who teed off after us ran over the 5hr mark and many visiting players have complained to Deer Park about the format. My mate said he’s giving his own seniors open a bodyswerve next season, unless it goes to threeball stableford.

At Kirky on Wednesday, I fcuked up at our third hole by slicing my drive wildly right up the arse of a tree stump. Tried to hack out sideways, made a kunt of it - picked up. No points, move on. 3hrs 35mins for a seniors open is great time.

13 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

We had an influx of new members during Covid and it meant a huge increase in the numbers wanting to play in medals and other Saturday competitions. Instead of 3 balls at 8 minute intervals we ran a trial period of 4 balls at 10 minute intervals. It was fine if you were out before 10, you were still generally 4 hours max, but the later you went out the longer it took and if you went out after 12 it was almost guaranteed to be a 5 hour round. 

Was out in a 2 and got stuck behind a 3ball this morning. They were so slow that, at one point, the 4 ball behind us walked onto the tee just as we walked off.

Waited on every shot from the 3rd until the 11th tee where they finally let us through, with two clear holes in front of them. Bit of a worry about the curse of the play through, but we both ripped our drives, walked off with birdies, and were two holes ahead within 4 holes.

They weren't even that bad as golfers, but they were the classic "only walk to your ball after the other guys have played", left their trolleys on the wrong side of every green, and my ultimate pet hate - marked the scorecard as they put the pin back in.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Was out in a 2 and got stuck behind a 3ball this morning. They were so slow that, at one point, the 4 ball behind us walked onto the tee just as we walked off.

Waited on every shot from the 3rd until the 11th tee where they finally let us through, with two clear holes in front of them. Bit of a worry about the curse of the play through, but we both ripped our drives, walked off with birdies, and were two holes ahead within 4 holes.

They weren't even that bad as golfers, but they were the classic "only walk to your ball after the other guys have played", left their trolleys on the wrong side of every green, and my ultimate pet hate - marked the scorecard as they put the pin back in.

Did they do the look back at the hole they have just played and point to each place they were, in order to work out how many shots they actually took ? 🙈

Started playing in the last few weeks with a hawked set of clubs, bag and shoes, given to me by my brother. Played 3 rounds so far. Shot 107 in my first ever round at Cowdenbeath, then played Kinghorn where I didn’t really keep score, then shot 102 at Cowdenbeath again earlier this week. Really enjoying being out on the course, mostly just because I enjoy the time alone or with a few pals in the sun. Wish I’d started 15 years ago! 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Play suspended at the K Club dye ti the threat of lightning.

The US team were in Rome for some practice at the Marco Simone. The rough looks as if it will be a killer.

If your missing the fairway its better to do it by a mile and go out of bounds than having to find a way out of that