Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

I've never anyone score a drop goal from that situation.  Quick thinking from Russell.

It's very rare at a penalty because the opposition need to stay 10. Happens more often at a conversion, but not seen many hit them either!

Pish scrum from Glasgow there - on the plus side for Scotland, Dickinson's scrummaging is still improving at his age.

5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It's very rare at a penalty because the opposition need to stay 10. Happens more often at a conversion, but not seen many hit them either!

Pish scrum from Glasgow there - on the plus side for Scotland, Dickinson's scrummaging is still improving at his age.

I've only been watching since half time and the Glasgow scrum hasn't impressed.

Good try, though.

Just back in from the game and trying to get a heat in me, glad the return fixtutre is moving to the end of the year. In the end Glasgow won in second gear. Two locks in Gray and Big Brian were the best on the park. Not the greatest game I've ever been to however and not one to pull the neutrals into rugby. 

Glad to see Edinburgh are moving for other games. Myreside is not the end-game solution but has to be better than Murrayfield - even with 21K inside the ground I wasn't sure if I'd walked into a library, just no atmosphere at all.

Thought Johnny gray was immense again...his mobility n work rate are crazy for a 2nd row and he was excellent at seeking clarification from ref at every occasion without using disrespectful language. Very handy skill given the egos on some of the dreadful refs bobbing about Pro12.

7 hours ago, dogmc said:

Thought Johnny gray was immense again...his mobility n work rate are crazy for a 2nd row and he was excellent at seeking clarification from ref at every occasion without using disrespectful language. Very handy skill given the egos on some of the dreadful refs bobbing about Pro12.

Yeah, he was excellent, I think he's quietly becoming one of the best 2nd rows in the world right now. Guys like Russell and Hogg are great players who excite the crowd, but Gray would be the biggest miss for Glasgow or Scotland if he was injured or suspended. 

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Anyone have experience of buying tickets for Twickenham in the Six Nations? Would it be very difficult to get tickets for the Scotland game?

Twickenham is almost always sold out early for 6N. Best bet would be a getmein/viagogo type site, but be prepared to be skinned

Anyone have experience of buying tickets for Twickenham in the Six Nations? Would it be very difficult to get tickets for the Scotland game?

Only time I have been my dad got them from someone he works with who is a member of an English rugby club. If you are a member of the SRU supporters group you can enter a ballot for any Scotland away games (I think it is £35 per year and the Six Nations ballots are just before Christmas

Reports that the Italians are gonna hook zebre from the Pro12 n replace them with a franchise based in Rome playing out of stadio flaminio (the stadium the national side used prior to moving to stadio olimpico ). Would have liked to see sru with the funds to try to get a caley reds pro side up n running but don't think there is the time or cash for this to happen. Not sure how this this will pan out for the Italians as I really don't know much about their domestic set up. They certainly needed to do something tho as zebre have been generally v poor despite the odd standout performance and of course the result v embra.

Reports that the Italians are gonna hook zebre from the Pro12 n replace them with a franchise based in Rome playing out of stadio flaminio (the stadium the national side used prior to moving to stadio olimpico ). Would have liked to see sru with the funds to try to get a caley reds pro side up n running but don't think there is the time or cash for this to happen. Not sure how this this will pan out for the Italians as I really don't know much about their domestic set up. They certainly needed to do something tho as zebre have been generally v poor despite the odd standout performance and of course the result v embra.

I think that the BT sponsorship deal has almost given them the funds for a 3rd pro side with outside investment for 1 or large crowds for 2(it was the lack of fans that made the decision to get rid of the Borders side an easy one to make) but the player pool let's them down. We would also need an expansion (Pro 14) or the Italians pulling our altogether with a 3rd Scottish side + Romanian side being the option I reckon.

There is quite a bit of talk of Georgia preferring a team in the Pro 12 rather than the 6 nations to help build up their player pool

Not the worst idea. Though they have a fair number of players at clubs in England n Wales n had some reasonable showings against tier 1 sides, the game at Kilmarnock showed they need some more exposure to top level rugby to be able to compete consistently. Have also seen speculation of a usa/Canada franchise for pro 12. Good to see the league attracting so much attention and it's teams have showed up well in Europe despite the new format being skewed heavily in favour of french n English sides, but the dreadful standard of refereeing urgently needs action

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Not the worst idea. Though they have a fair number of players at clubs in England n Wales n had some reasonable showings against tier 1 sides, the game at Kilmarnock showed they need some more exposure to top level rugby to be able to compete consistently. Have also seen speculation of a usa/Canada franchise for pro 12. Good to see the league attracting so much attention and it's teams have showed up well in Europe despite the new format being skewed heavily in favour of french n English sides, but the dreadful standard of refereeing urgently needs action

Both the US and Canada are interested, and the fact that ProRugby USA has just folded may help push them into the Pro12 as well

Both the US and Canada are interested, and the fact that ProRugby USA has just folded may help push them into the Pro12 as well

Can only be good for developing their players though as I said, the refereeing is dreadful now and an expansion would drain resources even further. The standard and style of rugby is very good in pro 12 but the refs just have to improve as a matter of urgency.

Im hoping they can get enough teams to either set up a 2nd division or set up 2 conferences. Another Scottish team, Georgian, Romanian, US, Canada, then potentially a Spanish, German, Belgian, Dutch. Just a pity that the best Russian teams are Krasy Yar and Einsei as there is no way a Siberian team is feasbile

Im hoping they can get enough teams to either set up a 2nd division or set up 2 conferences. Another Scottish team, Georgian, Romanian, US, Canada, then potentially a Spanish, German, Belgian, Dutch. Just a pity that the best Russian teams are Krasy Yar and Einsei as there is no way a Siberian team is feasbile

When it was still the Celtic league when we had 3 teams and until the Welsh went to 5 regions (now 4 as Celtic Warriors died after 1 season) it was two groups( each countrys teams were split so each group had 2 Irish one had 1 Scottish and 5 Welsh and the other 2 Scottish and 4 Welsh) each team played each team in the group once with the top 4 entering a knockout tournament. After the Welsh went to regions it was a 12 team league for 1 season, then a 11 team league for 3 seasons, then down to 10 after the Border Reivers were disbanded and then 10 teams until it became the Pro12.