Rugby Union

kiwififer

I went to Murrayfield on Saturday night and, as a Scotland fan I would say the hard fought affair bodes well for the national team.

However, until the end of the season I'm a Glasgow fan and I was disappointed we let the cup go down the Mordor end of the M8 in the way we did.  In the 2nd half we weren't clinical enough and we were bossed too easily by their pack.  I know the play-offs are more important but there was a nice bit of silver and derby pride at stake which was disappointing.  Edinburgh deserved the win but ahead of the s/f Dave Rennie needs to get heads out of arses urgently!

As for the extra £10 p/m for Premier Sports I'm warming to it.  This is because it's a 3 year deal where they've said that the Guinness Pro14 will be the flagship sport, with every single game being screened live.  6 fixtures will be on Premier Sports with the remainder (the less sexy fixture on paper I'd think) going to its free sister channel Free Sports.  They're also changing from the 1 to 2 Premier Sports channels to accommodate this in HD.

I'll also mention to rugby league fans here who watch the Australian league and the English Super League that Premier Sports, I'm sure at least, show the English 2nd tier.  Also, whilst BT Sport have all the Europa and Champs League footy, Premier Sports show the qualifiers. 

Super 6 announced - http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/05/01/scottish-rugby-unveils-franchises-form-super-6

Ayr, Melrose, County, Boroughmuir, Heriots, Watsonians.

Traditionally the SRU could be accused of Edinburgh bias, but I don’t think that can be levelled this time when only half the franchises have been awarded to EH teams...

Super 6 announced - http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/05/01/scottish-rugby-unveils-franchises-form-super-6
Ayr, Melrose, County, Boroughmuir, Heriots, Watsonians.
Traditionally the SRU could be accused of Edinburgh bias, but I don’t think that can be levelled this time when only half the franchises have been awarded to EH teams...

Accies must be annoyed at getting left behind.

Which is obviously a good thing.

Though it’s clearly nonsense to have half the teams from Edinburgh, I kind of admire the SRU’s handling of it. Including quotes from the rejected teams, which obviously had to be worded towards disappointment rather than outright criticism, helps to reduce the backlash from over-riding the story itself. Added to the fact the clubs can then only put up the same statement on their own sites.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

3 hours ago, honestly united said:

I thought so as well, and I thought there would have been a better spread of clubs given that its pretty much just central teams

image.png.0261ef16bb69e3b7a0c94c33e62eee72.png

It's a bit shite to be honest. Melrose, Ayr and Stirling make sense, as does one of the Edinburgh teams, but to have three there, in a city where nobody watches the pro team they do have? It's a bit of a joke.

A lot of the focus seems to be on Glasgow not having a team, but it's Dundee that feels like the biggest missed opportunity to me.

Im suprised there was no Glasgow team, and also that Dundee didnt get one either. 3 in Edinburgh doesn't seem to make any sense, your pooling half the players in one city along with half the Pro players.

Also thought another borders team would be included, but again 6 teams was probably not enough

Cockerill's being at the press saying that he's looking at Glasgow to replace Hidalgo-Clyne who's off to Scarlets. He's been assessing our 9's in the media. This is on top of his words in the press saying that we were frightened and that Edinburgh will be the big team in Scotland.

I'm all for having confidence and improving, Edinburgh beat us fair and square on Sat night, but I can't help but think he's an Eddie Jones mould. So he's starting to irritate me a bit coz of that. Is that just me?

Edited by come on shire

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:42, Mark Connolly said:

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:49, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Accies must be annoyed at getting left behind.

Which is obviously a good thing.

23 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Though it’s clearly nonsense to have half the teams from Edinburgh, I kind of admire the SRU’s handling of it. Including quotes from the rejected teams, which obviously had to be worded towards disappointment rather than outright criticism, helps to reduce the backlash from over-riding the story itself. Added to the fact the clubs can then only put up the same statement on their own sites.

23 hours ago, same_ol_g35 said:

I must be mistaken, but I was sure that I read early in the process that only two teams would chosen from from the same area/region?

18 hours ago, GAD said:

It's a bit shite to be honest. Melrose, Ayr and Stirling make sense, as does one of the Edinburgh teams, but to have three there, in a city where nobody watches the pro team they do have? It's a bit of a joke.

A lot of the focus seems to be on Glasgow not having a team, but it's Dundee that feels like the biggest missed opportunity to me.

15 hours ago, honestly united said:

Im suprised there was no Glasgow team, and also that Dundee didnt get one either. 3 in Edinburgh doesn't seem to make any sense, your pooling half the players in one city along with half the Pro players.

Also thought another borders team would be included, but again 6 teams was probably not enough

It was supposed to be 1 team from each region + 2 others, although no-one expected both from the same region.

They've fulfilled that but only in the tenuous sense that Stirling covers "Midlands & Caledonia" and Ayr covers "Glasgow".

Whole set-up looks a car crash quite frankly. Melrose being included is no surprise and while they'll miss having local derbies, for everyone else in the Borders they'll be the only loss. Ayr is no surprise. Stirling is no surprise given who applied. To give all 3 remaining slots to Edinburgh seems crazy... given the lack of support for Edinburgh itself, how on earth are 3 semi-pro-teams going to carve out a backing?

You then have to consider who misses-out... Gala and Hawick are not hugely surprising although for a time there were suggestions of Gala & Melrose being seen as complimentary. Edinburgh Accies is not hugely surprising although their ground rebuild will give them very impressive facilities. Currie Chieftains however will be absolutely gutted, given the reorganising & rebranding of the club and laying of their hybrid pitch. What takes the biscuit is to have applications from Glasgow Hawks plus Dundee HSFP - especially the former - and overlook them, leaving both the cities unrepresented. Of course no application was even made from Aberdeen GSFP meaning that city never had any hopes.

So we've ended-up with 50% from Edinburgh and 50% from provincial Lowland towns. Not what was envisaged, IMO.

EDIT: There does now seem to be calls for it to become a "Super 8", with the possibility of admitting Currie Chieftains and Glasgow Hawks. Ironically enough, if that was to happen, it would end-up as simply a continuation of next season's Premiership... less Hawick plus promoted side Edinburgh Accies... with the drawbridge pulled-up on promotion & relegation.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Cockerill's being at the press saying that he's looking at Glasgow to replace Hidalgo-Clyne who's off to Scarlets. He's been assessing our 9's in the media. This is on top of his words in the press saying that we were frightened and that Edinburgh will be the big team in Scotland.

I'm all for having confidence and improving, Edinburgh beat us fair and square on Sat night, but I can't help but think he's an Eddie Jones mould. So he's starting to irritate me a bit coz of that. Is that just me?

It’s not just you. He’s bordering on being insufferable.

I’m pleased Edinburgh finally have their house in order and are performing well consistently. He’s kinda ruining it for me though

Though I’d not be against a straight swap Hamish Watson for Ali Price.

Very surprisingly imo, Tim Visser has announced his retirement from international rugby.  On his day he's still capable of doing a solid job for Scotland who was a consistent try scorer.  So it's a bit of a shock tbh...

Always thought Visser and Maitland were a good balance between fast and humongous. I’m definitely a fan of 6ft 4 wingers rather than 5 ft 11 90s throwbacks, in this day and age.

Hardly had a look in the last year or so, and I think has realised he is isn't it Townsends plans going forward, so probably getting this in now rather than maybe spending his summer on tour if others pull out, only to be dropped again for autumn and 6 Nations.

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

Hardly had a look in the last year or so, and I think has realised he is isn't it Townsends plans going forward, so probably getting this in now rather than maybe spending his summer on tour if others pull out, only to be dropped again for autumn and 6 Nations.

I can see where you're coming from and the interesting thing is that he'll always be critiqued for his tackling (or lack of) skills lol.  However, going forward he was lethal with ball in hand and we could miss that.  However, we will need heavy units that can put in tackles on quick opponents when Nakarawa and Nandolo visit with Fiji in the Autumn and Visser wouldn't be the answer there tbh...

Edited by come on shire

Guinness PRO14  – Referee Appointments

Semi-Final Qualifiers

Saturday, May 5, 2018

MUNSTER RUGBY V EDINBURGH RUGBY – KO 15:15

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 166th competition game)
AR1: Ben Whitehouse (WRU). AR2: Ian Davies (WRU)
TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)
Sky Sports Main Event: 15:15
Sky Sports Action: 15:00
TG4: TBC
BBC ALBA: TBC

Sky Sports Main Event is available on Ch 401,
Sky Sports Action is available on Ch 407

SCARLETS V TOYOTA CHEETAHS – KO 18:35

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 102nd competition game)
AR1: Frank Murphy (IRFU). AR2: Mike Adamson (SRU)
TMO: Olly Hodges (IRFU)
S4C: 18:15
SuperSport: 19:30 (SA)

5 hours ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

So is this Super 6 going to be a stand-alone league?

It is and will be a level between the two Pro 14 sides and the rest of the amateur sides