Rugby Union

kiwififer

41 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Canada doesn't start until the 26th but we are in a group containing New Zealand, South Africa and Italy so the best I can hope for is a couple of classy tries from DTH while the rest of the team try to not get destroyed too badly.

FTFY

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

That’s bad news for everyone else as Wales will now have an attack coach who actually wants to score tries

Not really as Gatland is still in charge and Jones will not have any time to change things.

a list of all the foreign players at the RWC http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2019/09/09/foreign-born-raised-players-at-rwc-2019/

We have 14 (only 2 project players) and have more players in the squad using the grandparent rule than any other.

Tonga have 19 (2 Australians rest Kiwis) + 5 who were born in Tonga but grew up In New Zealand

Samoa have 18 (3 Australians rest Kiwis) + 7 who were born in Samoa but grew up In New Zealand or Australia

Australia have 12 all residency but 10 of them grew up in Australia from a young age.

Fiji have 4 all with Fiji born parents.

New Zealand have 4 two from Tonga on each from Fiji and Samoa but 3 moved  to New Zealand in there teens(14,17,18) and the other at about 9 or 10 . 

20 hours ago, ajwffc said:

a list of all the foreign players at the RWC http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2019/09/09/foreign-born-raised-players-at-rwc-2019/

We have 14 (only 2 project players) and have more players in the squad using the grandparent rule than any other.

Tonga have 19 (2 Australians rest Kiwis) + 5 who were born in Tonga but grew up In New Zealand

Samoa have 18 (3 Australians rest Kiwis) + 7 who were born in Samoa but grew up In New Zealand or Australia

Australia have 12 all residency but 10 of them grew up in Australia from a young age.

Fiji have 4 all with Fiji born parents.

New Zealand have 4 two from Tonga on each from Fiji and Samoa but 3 moved  to New Zealand in there teens(14,17,18) and the other at about 9 or 10 . 

These things are interesting, but always need a bit more depth. John Barclay, for example, went to school in Scotland, and played at all age groups for Scotland. Wilson, Price and Watson all played Scotland U-20, despite being based in England.

With England, Mako Vunipola was born NZ to Tongan parents, started his education in Wales, and then moved to England as a teenager. His brother was born in Australia, then followed the same path. Manu Tuilagi was nearly deported after originally entering the country on a visitor's visa and overstaying for 6 years, before being granted permanent residency,

The whole thing is an absolute minefield, and that's before you remember Dave Hilton and Shane Howarth!

I would say our bench is much stronger than Ireland's too.  Could be crucial as the game moves into the 50th-60th minutes onwards.

C'mon Scotland 

th?id=OIP.VLbPj0laUSZCerD8fr9J9QHaEc%26w=290%26h=174%26c=7%26o=5%26dpr=1.25%26pid=1.7&key=3abe311b4e2840b81af1a25f521977713e0cdb471d0f1dddb55d5f672b12828b 

Who is going to cover 10 if Russell goes off? Surprised Horne isn’t on the bench rather than Harris.

No Earls for Ireland, I note. Shame.

16 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Who is going to cover 10 if Russell goes off? Surprised Horne isn’t on the bench rather than Harris.

No Earls for Ireland, I note. Shame.

Fair point about Russell.  No Hastings, so would Ali Price be in GTs mind, even although he's likely to be Laidlaw's like-for-like replacement ??  I'll leave it to those on P & B who are aficionados of the game, rather than my own knowledge which is very limited.