Rugby Union

kiwififer

Eddie Jones statements that "we had an idea it could happen" and accordingly everyone should have "accumulated enough points" utterly avoids the issue. It so happens this has hit the last group games, and England & France had played the 3 weaker sides already and qualified, so of course they've accumulated enough points. Others either still have a likely win to play (e.g. Ireland) or have a likely head-to-head to play with whoever accumulates the points finishing 2nd (e.g. Japan-Scotland - and Italy-NZ on paper).

Nor does the rule only apply to the last group games or do typhoons only hit Japan on second weekends in October. Would he have been similarly bullish if Argentina v England had been washed-out... i.e. Argentina 11pts > England 10pts [emoji38]?!?!
There is also the reality that France and England had by far the easiest group.

I none Typhoon related rugby news, the clusterf*ck that will be the Super 6's have announced the games where, for whatever reason they are playing some Welsh clubs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50006569

And the Glasgow team for their next loss vs Cardiff is as follows,

Glasgow Warriors: Jackson; Steyn, Griff, McDowall, Hughes, Thomson, Frisby; Allan, Stewart, Nicol, Harley, McDonald, Flockhart, Gibbins (capt), M Fagerson.

Replacements: Matthews, Thornton, Rae, Swinson, Fusaro, Dobie, Jones, Bryce.

Guest Moomintroll
This ‘you know it could happen so you have to get the points on board early’ stuff just makes no sense whatsoever. Every team at the tournament is trying to get points from every game, the knowledge that a game might be called off due to weather at some point doesn’t change any side’s approach to any game. It’s utter nonsense.
Maybe play the 2nd v 3rd ranked teams games first then so we can get the points on the board early, that guy is an utter arsehole & has made every sports section down here unreadable for weeks, will say or do anything to make Japan look good.

4 minutes ago, Snobot said:

Being reported that the World Rugby contingency plan for the England game was to move it to a stadium 14 miles away and there was no contingency for the Scotland game. Bunch of fannies.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/11/world-rugby-contingency-plan-typhoon-hagibis-england-france-scotland-japan-cup

Oh boy.  This is going to live long in the memory.  Staggering incompetence.

From interviews i've seen from both the SRU spokesperson and the IRFU, i wouldn't be surprised if the IRFU decided to punish Scotland by cancelling the game. Scotland have had the temerity to challenge the blazers, which is a no-no.  It seems they have taken strong exception to Scotland's stance, and the fact that it was mentioned about "if it was New Zealand . . .  .".  

Like most sporting bodies who wield full power, any insurrection will be severely dealt with.  I so hope i'm wrong.  

Scotland are out, I'm surprised so many people are still holding out hope. Theyll announce its cancelled tomorrow.

On a further note, the typhoon is suspiciously named as "Typhoon Haggis", this was planned all along IMO.

From interviews i've seen from both the SRU spokesperson and the IRFU, i wouldn't be surprised if the IRFU decided to punish Scotland by cancelling the game. Scotland have had the temerity to challenge the blazers, which is a no-no.  It seems they have taken strong exception to Scotland's stance, and the fact that it was mentioned about "if it was New Zealand . . .  .".  
Like most sporting bodies who wield full power, any insurrection will be severely dealt with.  I so hope i'm wrong.  
Why would the Irish punish the Scottish?

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
2 hours ago, hearthammer said:

I meant the International Rugby body - although i'm kinda sure you understood that.  However, happy to be corrected.

Thank you   

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
11 minutes ago, hearthammer said:
I meant the International Rugby body - although i'm kinda sure you understood that.  However, happy to be corrected.
Thank you   

I know mate, only pulling your leg... Irish did us enough damage couple weeks back!

Aye, if only we'd turned up, eh ??   If we get to play Japan, we'll beat them.  You read it here first 😀👍 

44 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
2 hours ago, hearthammer said:

for not voting for  them to host the 2023 RWC

Bit surprised at the general sentiment on social media, which seems to be that people hope we get crushed because we had the audacity to seek legal action.

Also noticed a few people suggesting that it's selfish and petty to seek legal counsel because safety is more important than rugby and people could die. Which is a moronic argument as nobody is suggesting otherwise.

9 hours ago, Estragon said:

My understanding was that the typhoon was supposed to pass over tomorrow - whether the game would be going ahead or not would be decided by the amount of damage inflicted upon the stadium.

Some clown was on the radio earlier saying that World Rugby organising a WC in typhoon season was on par with the disruption suffered by the cricket world cup in England due to rain.  It's been an absolutely mystifying move.  By all means play it in Japan, but why not May/June?

June is wet season. It's also 37°C + not to mention high humidity. November-April would be the best weather for a WC in Japan. That doesn't tie in with the World rugby calendar though.

13 minutes ago, S7C said:

Bit surprised at the general sentiment on social media, which seems to be that people hope we get crushed because we had the audacity to seek legal action.

Also noticed a few people suggesting that it's selfish and petty to seek legal counsel because safety is more important than rugby and people could die. Which is a moronic argument as nobody is suggesting otherwise.

It's especially stupid since world rugby have actually created a situation where the Scotland team, the Japanese team, and tens of thousands of fans are now in the area the Typhoon will hit on the off chance the game goes ahead on Sunday.

17 hours ago, GAD said:

It's utterly moronic. To be fair it's mostly just the English Rugby Dad types spouting it. The kind who call football "wendyball" and wear St George outfits to Twickers. 

Oh, and Eddie Jones for some reason.

Jesus f**k, here was me thinking folk saying "Todders" was bad.