Rugby Union

kiwififer

On 22/10/2019 at 16:36, John Lambies Doos said:

Unfortunately it was not good enough, that's the realism of sport these days. Glasgow have failed since 2015.

It was clear that Rennie needed to sort out the forward physicalty of the side and he didn't.

The problem with Rennie is we have stood still while he has been in charge. None of his signings have been above meh levels, (not counting Jones and Hastings as Im putting that down to Glasgow being told they were having him.) I cant name anyone that has joined in the last 3 years that has made any sort of impact.

The style of play doesn't seemed to have changed from Toonies time either, apart from running more from deep. It looks much less balanced now

The problem with Rennie is we have stood still while he has been in charge. None of his signings have been above meh levels, (not counting Jones and Hastings as Im putting that down to Glasgow being told they were having him.) I cant name anyone that has joined in the last 3 years that has made any sort of impact.
The style of play doesn't seemed to have changed from Toonies time either, apart from running more from deep. It looks much less balanced now
Honest by name, honest by nature.
This is my point, and maybe a do come across a bit Roy Keanish but we have to accept that based on our trajectory Rennie has failed. I support Glasgow to win things, he has won nothing.

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 09:23, Jaggy Snake said:

Glasgow finished 6th in Townsend's last season, only scraping into a Champions Cup spot and missing out on the Pro12 playoffs (11 points behind 4th placed Ospreys and 28 points off 1st). People excused that as Glasgow reached the quarter finals of the Champions Cup for the first time, but Rennie managed that whilst still reaching the Pro14 final.

Under Rennie, Glasgow have topped their conference twice, finishing with the most points of either conference. I don’t think anyone would argue Leinster weren’t the best side during this time, but Glasgow have still done well.

I won’t deny parts of Rennie’s tenure have felt slightly underwhelming but, particularly when you compare the number of quality players who have left Glasgow to the number of poor signings they’ve made in the last 2 years, he’s undeniably done a good job with what he’s got.

Spot on assessment.

I think the issue is more that the team peaked with the Pro12 win, and seems to have got no where near the level of the 14/15 team. I just looked back at the team to see who we had lost since then, and the team has changed completely form the one from the final

FB15Scotland Stuart HoggSubstituted off 62'RW14Scotland Tommy SeymourOC13Scotland Richie VernonIC12Scotland Peter HorneLW11Canada D. T. H. van der MerweSubstituted off 70'FH10Scotland Finn RussellSubstituted off 66'SH9Scotland Henry PyrgosN88South Africa Josh Strauss (c)OF7Scotland Ryan WilsonBF6Scotland Rob HarleySubstituted off 60'RL5Scotland Jonny GrayLL4Fiji Leone NakarawaSubstituted off 66'TP3South Africa Rossouw de KlerkSubstituted off 52'HK2Scotland Dougie HallSubstituted off 62'LP1Scotland Gordon ReidSubstituted off 77'Replacements:HK16Scotland Fraser BrownSubstituted in 62'PR17Fiji Jerry YanuyanutawaSubstituted in 77'PR18Scotland Jon WelshSubstituted in 52'LK19Scotland Alastair KellockSubstituted in 66'FL20Scotland Chris FusaroSubstituted in 60'SH21Fiji Nikola MatawaluSubstituted in 70'FH22Scotland Duncan WeirSubstituted in 66'WG23Scotland Sean LamontSubstituted in 62'Coach:Scotland Gregor Townsend

Hoggs just gone, Vernon left after the final, DTH went and came back, Russells gone, Pyrgos, gone, Strauss went, Nakarawa went (porbably the biggest miss), dont remember de Klerk, Hall retired, Reid left, Big jerry might still be here, Welsh gone, Kellock retired, matawala left and came back, Weir's gone, and Lamont retired thats 15 of the 23 in 5 years

We've also lost Dunbar, Bennett, Eddie, Murchie, McArthur, which is 20 good players (ive not included any of the dross that would have been in the squad at that point. We just have struggled to replace any of these guys

Hogg leaves - no replacement but one of hte 7's team gets a run for a few games until he dissapears back to the 7's

Nakarawa has never been replaced - Swinson would be first choice with Gray now for 2nd row, but he was 4th choice behind Kellock back then

Bit of revisionism here. Cummings is first choice miles ahead of Swinson now. Our starting centres are better, although to be fair Bennet and Dunbar were actually first choice in 2015. Our first choice and second 9’s are better now.

Kebble v Reid? Fagerson v de Klerk? Brown v Hall? Turner / Stewart v MacArthur? 

Hogg is a generational player so v hard to replace, as is Nakawara, who funnily enough wasn’t always first pick and would often try the miracle ball once too often, but no doubting his display in the final was something else.

If we can replace Strauss (I like M Fagerson a lot) and get a better FB we are in a decent place. The fact is the club model is generally not to spend big on big time players, Jones aside who has been disappointing.

Last season was the second best year in the history of the club, a one score defeat in final and a European quarter final appearance, unfortunately against the worst possible opponent for us

On 21/10/2019 at 19:46, peasy23 said:
On 21/10/2019 at 17:04, Savage Henry said:

What the hell is wrong with that?

I can't really get the major seethe either tbh, it's not as if it was a controversial decision, it was as clear a red card as you will ever see. He's been asked to pose for a photo and did so, he can't win, if he tells them to feck off he probably gets slagged all over Twitter too.

Aye if a similar thing happened in football nothing would be said about it....

It was terrible judgement from a guy who has shown poor judgement in the past. 

The only teams ahead of Glasgow last year were Saracens and Leinster both of whom constantly add quality and don't lose their best players. 

Glasgow can't compete with that. The lack of quality signings the last two summers means there is a chance they are about to fall off a cliff. The first 23 is still strong though. 

1 hour ago, Snobot said:

Bit of revisionism here. Cummings is first choice miles ahead of Swinson now. Our starting centres are better, although to be fair Bennet and Dunbar were actually first choice in 2015. Our first choice and second 9’s are better now.

Kebble v Reid? Fagerson v de Klerk? Brown v Hall? Turner / Stewart v MacArthur? 

Hogg is a generational player so v hard to replace, as is Nakawara, who funnily enough wasn’t always first pick and would often try the miracle ball once too often, but no doubting his display in the final was something else.

If we can replace Strauss (I like M Fagerson a lot) and get a better FB we are in a decent place. The fact is the club model is generally not to spend big on big time players, Jones aside who has been disappointing.

Last season was the second best year in the history of the club, a one score defeat in final and a European quarter final appearance, unfortunately against the worst possible opponent for us

Totally forgot about Cummings tbh.

I think last year was a strange one, I dont think Glasgow played well, although obviously better than most in the Pro14 - but i think that said that majority or teams were utter dross last year

I think my point is we have lost a lot of really good players, but not really replaced them with anyone you would get excited about. We have a few young players coming through like McDowall, the young SH etc but we dont seem to have the conveyor belt of talent we need

Gibbons started like a house on fire but hasn’t really maintained the same level, a fit Kebble will start every week but apart from that I can’t mind who that last really good signing was. We keep getting told season ticket prices need to go up to pay for signing and seemingly get very little in return.

Is their any weight in the story of Dave Rennie leaving at the end of the season to become Oz head coach?  I think it is.  He only signed a 1 year deal and it's no secret that his wife wants to move closer to home.

Apparently ex-Cardiff Blues head coach and currently one of the Scotland assistant coaches Danny Wilson's a front runner to replace Rennie.

1 hour ago, come on shire said:

Is their any weight in the story of Dave Rennie leaving at the end of the season to become Oz head coach?  I think it is.  He only signed a 1 year deal and it's no secret that his wife wants to move closer to home.

Apparently ex-Cardiff Blues head coach and currently one of the Scotland assistant coaches Danny Wilson's a front runner to replace Rennie.

In a normal season the Pro14 would be finished and give him plenty of time before the Rugby Championship kicks of in August. This year though the final is Jun 20th which would give him about 6 weeks (once he got moved over) to work on the team.

If Wilson is the front runner would they maybe let Rennie go after the 6N's with Wilson taking over to see out the season? The could obviously have him in now to help out / get to know the set up etc in preparation

Glasgow Warriors team to play Dragons in the Guinness PRO14, Saturday 26 October, kick-off 3pm, live on Premier Sports 2. You can follow the game in the Live Match Centre at glasgowwarriors.org. Glasgow Warriors appearances in brackets:

1. Oli Kebble (34)
2. Grant Stewart (27)
3. Adam Nicol (12)
4. Rob Harley (215)
5. Kiran McDonald (19)
6. Adam Ashe (71)
7. Callum Gibbins (C) (37)
8. Matt Fagerson (51)

9. Nick Frisby (16)
10. Brandon Thomson (23)
11. Niko Matawalu (115)
12. Stafford McDowall (15)
13. Nick Grigg (58)
14. Kyle Steyn (13)
15. Glenn Bryce (22)

Replacements

16. Johnny Matthews (2)
17. Alex Allan (93)
18. D’arcy Rae (64)
19. Andrew Davidson (3)
20. Chris Fusaro (167)
21. Jamie Dobie (3)
22. Huw Jones (23)
23. Ruaridh Jackson (154)

Not available due to injury: Siua Halanukonuka (calf), Lee Jones (Hamstring), Sean Kennedy (foot), Ali Price (foot), Tim Swinson (head) and Jale Vakaloloma (shoulder).

Edinburgh Rugby team to face Scarlets at BT Murrayfield in the Guinness PRO14

Saturday 26 October (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Premier Sports

15. Blair Kinghorn (77)

14. Eroni Sau*

13. Mark Bennett (23)

12. Matt Scott (84)

11. Duhan van der Merwe (44)

10. Simon Hickey (21)

9. Nic Groom (3) CAPTAIN

1. Pierre Schoeman (26)

2. Mike Willemse (3)

3. Pietro Ceccarelli (13)

4. Fraser McKenzie (115)

5. Murray Douglas (4)

6. Ally Miller (11)

7. Luke Crosbie (29)

8. Nick Haining (3)

Replacements: 16. Cameron Fenton (14) 17. Jamie Bhatti (3) 18. Murray McCallum (52) 19. Sam Thomson (1) 20. Magnus Bradbury (65) 21. Henry Pyrgos (24) 22. Jaco van der Walt (42) 23. George Taylor (7)

Unavailable due to injury: Ewan Ashman, Dave Cherry, Jack Stanley, Darryl Marfo, Lewis Carmichael, Ruan Steenkamp, Hamish Watson, Chris Dean, Jack Blain

Been following the warm up in bits and pieces over the past hour on Five Live and STV. I never cease to be surprised by the background level of English confidence. All puffery and no analysis, but apparently England are the dog's bollocks. Are other countries' media like this?