Rugby Union

kiwififer

The Australians are reaction well to it
https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/rugby/rugby-world-cup/reece-hodge-citing-tackle-video-phil-kearns-savages-world-rugby-wallabies-v-fiji/news-story/e2ab86866098caf9367faf596c3c7088?__twitter_impression=true
His panel will be chaired by Nigel Hampton, QC (New Zealand), former international coach Frank Hadden (Scotland) and former referee José Luis Rolandi (Argentina).

Also Argentina winger Matías Moroni has been issued with a Citing Commissioner Warning (CCW) by Citing Commissioner Murray Whyte (Ireland) for an act of foul play contrary to Law 9.27 (hair pulling) at the end of Argentina’s Rugby World Cup 2019 match against France on 21 September, 2019.

The CCW will remain on the player’s record to be dealt with in the event that the player accumulates three yellow cards and/or Citing Commissioner Warnings during the tournament. 

19 hours ago, Kejan said:

What were people expecting? Scotland regularly get  well beaten by better teams especially away from home.

They'll toil but get past the other three teams, Japan even maybe by 1-3 pt win and then hammered by the All Blacks in the QFs.

Then a lot of hope/optimism for the Six Nations and then again absolutely destroyed by the likes of Wales and Ireland. Then talk of a talented team gelling for the next WC, few Six Nations and it'll end in tears as it has for the past 15-20 years.

There’s a significant difference between being overcome by a better and more clinical team having competed with them, as in the defeats to Ireland in the 18 & 19 Six Nations, and the abject humiliation of a scoreline and performance yesterday where they didn’t even have to work for it but could easily have won by more.

No one should be surprised by the former but no one should expect the latter.

There’s a significant difference between being overcome by a better and more clinical team having competed with them, as in the defeats to Ireland in the 18 & 19 Six Nations, and the abject humiliation of a scoreline and performance yesterday where they didn’t even have to work for it but could easily have won by more.
Bollocks, Wayne Barnes cost us the game.

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
31 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Bollocks, Wayne Barnes cost us the game.

Not so sure he cost us the game, but he seemed to punish us with almost every decision going in favour of Ireland.  He has previous for this with Scotland.  I believe that, especially in the WC, the referee should be from a neutral continent from the participating teams, where possible.  I get that sometimes it is deemed better to have a referee who is knowledgeable in the nothern/southern hemisphere styles of play and is therefore "local" to the teams  playing, but not in the WC.  They had enough neutrals to choose from.

Rugby World Cup Referees

Referees (12): Wayne Barnes (England), Luke Pearce (England), Jérôme Garcès (France), Romain Poite (France), Pascal Gaüzère (France), Mathieu Raynal (France), Nigel Owens (Wales), Jaco Peyper (South Africa), Ben O’Keeffe (New Zealand), Paul Williams (New Zealand), Nic Berry (Australia) and Angus Gardner (Australia) – 457 tests as referees

Read more at https://www.rugbyworld.com/tournaments/rugby-world-cup-2019/rugby-world-cup-referees-100633#h35oXbkxFt1il5Yy.99

Not so sure he cost us the game, but he seemed to punish us with almost every decision going in favour of Ireland.  He has previous for this with Scotland.  I believe that, especially in the WC, the referee should be from a neutral continent from the participating teams, where possible.  I get that sometimes it is deemed better to have a referee who is knowledgeable in the nothern/southern hemisphere styles of play and is therefore "local" to the teams  playing, but not in the WC.  They had enough neutrals to choose from.

Rugby World Cup Referees

Referees (12): Wayne Barnes (England), Luke Pearce (England), Jérôme Garcès (France), Romain Poite (France), Pascal Gaüzère (France), Mathieu Raynal (France), Nigel Owens (Wales), Jaco Peyper (South Africa), Ben O’Keeffe (New Zealand), Paul Williams (New Zealand), Nic Berry (Australia) and Angus Gardner (Australia) – 457 tests as referees

Read more at https://www.rugbyworld.com/tournaments/rugby-world-cup-2019/rugby-world-cup-referees-100633#h35oXbkxFt1il5Yy.99
Whoooooosh

On 22/09/2019 at 12:01, hearthammer said:

Serious question :

Why do england fans and supporters wear union jack suits and wave union jack flags when england are playing at any sport ??   They have their own flag, but seem to adopt the union garb as being their own.  Saw some guys wearing the suits before and at the start of the game.

Any sport ?

Not at the cricket and at Wembley the only Union flags are the ones with the club the person supports has had printed on it.

Edited by Glenanover

54 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Just changing code for a moment, I see Israel Folau is representing Tonga against the visiting GB team. I hope they all refuse to take the field if he's playing.

Lol 

GB supplies weapons and military support to massacre people in Yemen but cancel the game because of Folau's religious beliefs. 

As we have seen with Billy Vunipola and others many PI people agree with him.

Tom English's article makes for chastening reading.  I can't believe that Matt Taylor suggested that the coaches should have done more to gee the players up before the annihilation in Nice.  If you're playing for your country then they should be up for it automatically.  The same group got joint 2nd then 3rd at the 2017 and 2018 6N then beat Oz in Sydney.  I think we should be looking at the next generation in the U20's too.  From 5th at the world championships to relegation the following year.

Personally, I think that Cotter should have been allowed to stay on as opposed to the SRU taking the frighteners at Toony's "give me the job or I'm off to France"-gate scandal (if that's true).  I'm not wearing any tin-foil hat or anything like that, after all I'll support the team and whoever's in charge, but ultimately we've had another poor performance and the buck has to stop at the head coach's door I'm afraid.

It's a bit early to be calling for heads. We have three more group games and hopefully a quarter final which will be better than yesterday. Wait until they are checking out the team hotel to judge. 

I think Townsend has fucked up in his selections but I'm not sure there is another candidate out there to replace him anyway so it may be a case of writing this tournament off as a learning curve. To be fair to Townsend he's had no luck in trying to integrate guys who could make us a more physically imposing team. Bhatti, Fagerson, Skinner, Richie Gray and Bradbury have all been unavailable to him at key times.

They have been planing for hte Ireland game for 100 days and we get served up that performance. Even given the injuries, how many people would have picked that exact team? Apart from Skinner / Richie Grey in for Gilchrist, maybe strauss for Wilson or Price for Laidlaw the majority of the team that got scudded by Ireland is what everyone would have picked given the chance. 

All the chat after the game is the training has been brilliant, its the best prepared they have ever been etc etc. Yet the performance for the most part was woefully short of where it needs to be. I did think we looked better when Price came on, as at least he holds the inside defence and was bringing runners onto the ball.

We are lucky with the fixtures in that we have a week until Samoa, then can pick the team for the Japan game and play the 2nd string vs Russia on hte Wed so they 1st team is rested for the Sunday.