Rugby Union

kiwififer

We made a mediocre Scarlets side look like the All Blacks. It was worse than Benneton away earlier in the season. Discipline's crap and there's no communication. 

Traditionally, a Glasgow team doesn't lose in Treviso and squeak to the win vs Benneton at home. We get the BP in Parma too. Traditionally in Europe Glasgow aim to get out the pool and don't have a head coach who's chuffed with a losing bonus point in France even if it's not the worst result. We don't get slaughtered twice in as many seasons in Exeter either. 

Back to this game I thought any head coach that could work out Welsh teams would be Danny Wilson. 

Apart from having Thompson start at 10 over Duncan Weir that was a quality team. They should be doing so much better. 

On 06/03/2022 at 03:20, come on shire said:

We made a mediocre Scarlets side look like the All Blacks. It was worse than Benneton away earlier in the season. Discipline's crap and there's no communication. 

Traditionally, a Glasgow team doesn't lose in Treviso and squeak to the win vs Benneton at home. We get the BP in Parma too. Traditionally in Europe Glasgow aim to get out the pool and don't have a head coach who's chuffed with a losing bonus point in France even if it's not the worst result. We don't get slaughtered twice in as many seasons in Exeter either. 

Back to this game I thought any head coach that could work out Welsh teams would be Danny Wilson. 

Apart from having Thompson start at 10 over Duncan Weir that was a quality team. They should be doing so much better. 

I dont know if it was the tactics, but we had a quality backline in Johnson, Steyn, Forbes, McKay and SMith, yet constantly kicked the ball away even though we made yards with ball in hand. I dont know if it was all down to Weir, but we have looked a different team when Thompson starts

DVDM banned for three games, so his 6 nations is over. Once again it's pretty clear that one if the main factors in rugby that decides red cards, ban length and citings is who you are and who you play for, rather than what you've actually done.

DVDM banned for three games, so his 6 nations is over. Once again it's pretty clear that one if the main factors in rugby that decides red cards, ban length and citings is who you are and who you play for, rather than what you've actually done.

The Italy Ireland game was a great example. Two identical tackles one gets a red and a ban and nothing happened with the other.

Even the Duhan van der Merwe case is a good example as one of the London Irish players slides into his head when he was on the ground and not a thing has been said about it

Read various tweets from folk all defending him, if the defender is actually dropping to a height that he should be to make a legal tackle then he doesn't get hit in the face, and it was an attempt at a hand off that was a fraction of a second out. Do we know who was on the panel?

The game in Rome is really giving me the fear now given how far the performances have dropped since the England game, and a lot of players now out with injury too.

On 07/03/2022 at 16:36, honestly united said:

I dont know if it was the tactics, but we had a quality backline in Johnson, Steyn, Forbes, McKay and SMith, yet constantly kicked the ball away even though we made yards with ball in hand. I dont know if it was all down to Weir, but we have looked a different team when Thompson starts

If the tactics are to kick then the players will do what they're told I guess.  It wasn't all down to Weir.  Duncy is a sensible head who simply doesn't do what he's not capable of.  Thompson is the next Finn tbh, just without the maverick.  Within 5 years he'll be cigaring it in England or France.  

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Read various tweets from folk all defending him, if the defender is actually dropping to a height that he should be to make a legal tackle then he doesn't get hit in the face, and it was an attempt at a hand off that was a fraction of a second out. Do we know who was on the panel?

The game in Rome is really giving me the fear now given how far the performances have dropped since the England game, and a lot of players now out with injury too.

I'm not too fussed that Duhan is out for the next 2 games.  There's something far more wrong than we thought if we need him for Rome and there's no pressure in Dublin as we'll either be defending in our 22 or waiting for conversions to be kicked behind our posts all game regardless if he was playing.

For that reason too I'd start both games with either Hastings or Thompson at 10 with the other on the bench.  Finn's picked up 2 cards in 3 6 Nations games.  He's talented on his day but also just plain self indulgent.  He shouldn't be beyond getting dropped for a bit.

If we do lose in Rome then at least the SRU will soon realise it'll be the 3rd poor 6 Nations in a row for us since getting booted at the pool stage of the 2019 World Cup with just 18 months till the next World Cup with Ireland and South Africa.  Maybe they'll make changes to the coaching...

Edited by come on shire

I'm not too fussed that Duhan is out for the next 2 games.  There's something far more wrong than we thought if we need him for Rome and there's no pressure in Dublin as we'll either be defending in our 22 or waiting for conversions to be kicked behind our posts all game regardless if he was playing.
For that reason too I'd start both games with either Hastings or Thompson at 10 with the other on the bench.  Finn's picked up 2 cards in 3 6 Nations games.  He's talented on his day but also just plain self indulgent.  He shouldn't be beyond getting dropped for a bit.
If we do lose in Rome then at least the SRU will soon realise it'll be the 3rd poor 6 Nations in a row for us since getting booted at the pool stage of the 2019 World Cup with just 18 months till the next World Cup with Ireland and South Africa.  Maybe they'll make changes to the coaching...

I don't see any nation making changes to the coaching team this close to the world cup.

Thompson has been pish recently. He is nowhere near ready to start at Test level.

The big problems have been in the centres and protecting our own ball at the breakdown. We aren't playing a fast enough game to disorganise the opposition defence but we are playing loose enough to lose our own structure.

I still dont know what Johnson did wrong in the first game to get dropped. Even given how pish Glasgow were on Saturday, Johnson still looked good.

Thompson and Dobbie are both suffering from 2nd season syndrome, and also being dropped when playing well to give Horne and Weir game time.

For Italy I am hoping for Fagerson Turner Schoeman Gray Gilchrist Watson Darge Fagerson, price Russell, Graham, Jonson, Tuipoluto, Steyn, Hogg - subs bergham, mcinally, Nel, Hodgson, Bradbury, White, Hastings, Bennett

21 hours ago, Detournement said:

Thompson has been pish recently. He is nowhere near ready to start at Test level.

The big problems have been in the centres and protecting our own ball at the breakdown. We aren't playing a fast enough game to disorganise the opposition defence but we are playing loose enough to lose our own structure.

This is, much more succinctly than I could do it, exactly how I feel about our attacking issues atm. Time for Harris to take a step back? If our defence is as good as it's meant to be surely subbing in a centre who is a decent rather than outstanding defender (Bennett never let us down in that regard as far as I remember and at least looked a threat against France) shouldn't make that big a difference.  

Gray not fit enough by the looks of things. Not too bad otherwise. Darge and Watson should be fun, glad Steyn is getting a chance. Johnson coming in at least improves things a little in the centre, Sione and Harris hasn't really worked together. Would maybe have preferred Sione and a more ambitious 13 against Italy though

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Gray not fit enough by the looks of things. Not too bad otherwise. Darge and Watson should be fun, glad Steyn is getting a chance. Johnson coming in at least improves things a little in the centre, Sione and Harris hasn't really worked together. Would maybe have preferred Sione and a more ambitious 13 against Italy though

Happy enough with that, would have preferred Tuiplotu at 13 over Harris. if we dont win comfortably with that team questions need asked. - and no f'ing Kinghorn is pleasing

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Tuipuluto is Townsend playing fantasy rugby. The same as Du Preez and Blade Thompson. Johnson should never have been dropped off the back of winning the last four Tests he started. 

Hutchinson is due a recall for one game and then dropped for two years, surely?