Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Think folk are being pretty harsh on Harris tbf.

He has been excellent for Scotland over the last couple of years

For me its horses for courses, if we were playing anyone else Harris would be the obvious choice at 13 as were are much more solid defensively.

However we are playing Italy where we should be looking to run up a score as the final positions could be dependent on bonus points and I would rather we were looking at using our best attacking option to try and get 4 tries rather than just focusing on ensuring we grind out a win. Obviously we shouldn't be going gun-ho and expecting a win (Scotland fans should never expect a win) as we will have to work hard for it - although unleashing Tuiplotu with a half hour to go against tiring Italian back line could be interesting

53 minutes ago, honestly united said:

For me its horses for courses, if we were playing anyone else Harris would be the obvious choice at 13 as were are much more solid defensively.

However we are playing Italy where we should be looking to run up a score as the final positions could be dependent on bonus points and I would rather we were looking at using our best attacking option to try and get 4 tries rather than just focusing on ensuring we grind out a win. Obviously we shouldn't be going gun-ho and expecting a win (Scotland fans should never expect a win) as we will have to work hard for it - although unleashing Tuiplotu with a half hour to go against tiring Italian back line could be interesting

I understand the sentiment, but I'm the complete opposite, I think you win the game, then you worry about the score.

I know Italy are the weakest team in the competition, but they are not as bad as is being made out.  They have some proper talent, that I'd like to see subdued before we think about bonus points.

I genuinely think that Italy are building.  I think Lamaro is the Italian Watson i.e. vastly underrated.  If I'm being honest, he might well be the best flanker in the competition.  I think Garbrisi is finally getting some help from Braley and I love watching Ioane out wide (he's like Teddy Thomas with additional work ethic) 😀 [OK, I exagerate, he's not Teddy Thomas, who I think is suuuuupeeerb but a bit lazy], but he's a very good player all the same.

Gone are the days of Italy's push and shove up front only approach.  Scotland have had two bruising encounters one v Wales where we go bored to death up front and the other where even though I think we played well, France were just better, we need to get back on the winning horse.  Those, games must have dented confidence in the game plan etd.  Italy have nothing to lose, they are expected to get beat, so let's make sure that they do, first, then turn on the razzamatazz later.

Italy fronted up v Ireland (which is no mean feat) and were getting some good front foot ball (until the sending off).  Scotland are no-ireland up front, we need to be careful.

I'm genuinely nervous about tomorrow, it has disaster written all over it.  Italy got some shyt officiating last week, will the opposite happen this week?  

Yours, 

aDONis

Yeah, I'm pretty nervous about tomorrow as well. I think it's Luke Pearce refereeing, who tried to shaft us other there before (the "I've got a feeling he dropped it" one was a belter), so I expect we will be up against it on that front and things could get very tense. I'm OK with the team we've picked, I agree we probably need to start as solidly as possible and make sure we keep Italy out before going for it a bit more in the second half. Can see Hastings, Russell and Tuipoloto as the midfield later in the game if things are going well.

27 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

It’s a strong looking starting line up. I’m always nervous when it comes to Scotland but surely we’ll have too much for the Italians.

I agree, but I've never recovered from Goodman and Cusiter game... ☹️

I was particularly sad, because I was (and still am) a big fan of Cusiter.

Yours, I'm not crying, I've got erm something in my eyes!

aDONis

Tomorrow will be very difficult imo. Justifiably we are firm favourites but never have it easy in Rome. I do think we will sneak the BP and win by 10-12 points...but it will be close enough up to the 60min mark.
If Italy can sort out their discipline and stop dropping in final 3rd, they will be a handful

6 hours ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I'm pretty nervous about tomorrow as well. I think it's Luke Pearce refereeing, who tried to shaft us other there before (the "I've got a feeling he dropped it" one was a belter), so I expect we will be up against it on that front and things could get very tense. I'm OK with the team we've picked, I agree we probably need to start as solidly as possible and make sure we keep Italy out before going for it a bit more in the second half. Can see Hastings, Russell and Tuipoloto as the midfield later in the game if things are going well.

it is Pearce tomorrow with Andrew Brace and Craig Evans as assistants 

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

That was a pretty harsh pen. 

Wales haven't done anything, everything they've had has been from Carley.

France absolutely destroying the Welsh scrum at the start and Carley point blank refusing to give a pen set the tone.