Rugby Union

kiwififer

12 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Has anyone posted the "your boys took a helluva beating" yet? 

GATLAND GIRUY....... your boys took a helluva beating!

Tom Jones, Max Boyce, Shirley Bassey, Hew Edwards, Michael Sheen, Ian Rush, Bonnie Tyler, Jonathan Davies, can you hear me? Jonathan Davies? Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!

Worth remembering that Dan Biggar went out and did a big shitey interview about how Scotland were fucking crap, then went and played absolutely shite and publicly blamed a 23 year old playing his 4th international for his own terrible play on more than one occasion before going off with the Welsh limp when the humiliation was on the cards, after being completely outplayed by his opposite number, who he has also slagged off several times in public.

What a c**t.

2 hours ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

To add to this, how fucking lucky are we to have had Finn Russell and Stuart Hogg (arguably the best 15 in the world at one point) playing for us at the same time? Also for us Glasgow fans, in the same team.

Glasgow on 2015 odd was great.  Hogg, Russell, Nakarawa, Jonny Gray were top talents. 

Anyway terrific fun seeing us do that to Wales and Gatland. Felt they were only in it when we were down to 14. 

I know I should wax lyrical about Scotland and it is fantastic to win today, but the bitter football fan part of me enjoyed it more seeing West England look pathetic at their number one sport. Biggar and Gatland in particular, magic. Get it right fucking up you.

The Irish should win it from here but if Scotland can pull a rabbit out the hat in Paris...

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I am about to type words that I would never usually consider...

Reveal hidden contents

Kinghorn has been excellent

just back from the game and he was good but it does help that he was in his  natural position 

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Missed it at the time, what happened to Hogg with the HIA? Didn’t even see him take a hit and ran off looking fine so was surprised when he didn’t come back.

From what I have managed to catch back, looked like a Tuipulotu clearance caught Hogg slightly rather than anything sinister 

9 hours ago, AngusTheBull said:

I think he lost to us in 99 as Ireland boss too (clutching at straws here)

I honestly have no recollection of him being Ireland coach at all.    He did mention it in his surprisingly (and perhaps begrudgingly) good natured post game interview.  

Edited by Savage Henry

9 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

Am I the only one that thinks Biggers pass to Dyer for the butchered try just before half-time, was forward?  Nobodies mentioned it but I'm convinced it was.

I wondered too, but have a read of this article from Friday's Guardian which addresses this exact point.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/feb/10/when-is-a-forward-pass-not-a-forward-pass-its-all-about-relative-velocity

Interesting info from Wikipedia :-

Personal life

Van der Merwe is the younger brother of Akker van der Merwe, also a professional rugby union player who plays at hooker.[63]

Responding to unverified claims, Duhan confirmed that he was not named after Irish folk musician Johnny Duhan and his brother Akker was not named after clarinetist Acker Bilk.[64]

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

57 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I wondered too, but have a read of this article from Friday's Guardian which addresses this exact point.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/feb/10/when-is-a-forward-pass-not-a-forward-pass-its-all-about-relative-velocity

That is a good article on it, but my problem was that Biggar was standing relatively still.  It was probably muddied by the fact it was a reverse pass, so the ball comes out of the back of his hand, but his hands are moving forwards.

Highlight for me was probably watching Duhan tear-up, about what Scotland means to him.  I almost blubbed! 🥲

Edited by aDONisSheep

I'm delighted that Russell and Toonie seemed to have made up. Russell, if he was a footballer, would be Prosinecki. Able to create beautiful art on the field, but don't ask him to train or eat like Cristiano Ronaldo. 

Anyway, he was unplayable from about the 20th minute yesterday, and his pass to Steyn gets better every time I see it. Ireland were different class yesterday and should win this championship. I can't wait for the France game though, it should be an absolute classic. Their scrum half is the best I've seen since Van Der Westhuizen, and although Ntamack jr didn't have his best game yesterday he's a class act. The half back battle will be utterly absorbing.

I never thought I'd say it, but I'm enjoying Rugby more than football right now. Rugby used to be the more complicated sport, but since VAR football has become much more opaque in its rules. I didn't feel clueless as to what was going on yesterday at all. 

2 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

That is a good article on it, but my problem was that Biggar was standing relatively still.  It was probably muddied by the fact it was a reverse pass, so the ball comes out of the back of his hand, but his hands are moving forwards.

I watched the link below that explains it nicely. It really highlight the optical illusion on how the ball travels forward from point of pass. So Finn to Fagerson yesterday and Fagerson to VDM last week were like that.

The game against France is really huge now. Not sure how much chance we really have, but if we can pull something out the hat over there then we've always got a punchers chance at home against anyone, even Ireland. Gutted we now have to wait two weeks though, most I've enjoyed the 6 nations in years, not just the Scotland games either.