Rugby Union

kiwififer

I'm struggling to see any benefit that Scotland would get out of it.

I see the article already states that the England coach would be in charge, even though the Scotland coach's achievements are far more impressive given the difference in finances and numbers of available players.

I'm struggling to see any benefit that Scotland would get out of it.

I see the article already states that the England coach would be in charge, even though the Scotland coach's achievements are far more impressive given the difference in finances and numbers of available players.

The Scotland coach is moving to Edinburgh for the start of next season

I cold see the logic if the UK team had bombed at the olympics but we finished 2nd last time, why change the system. The issue last time was we picked the bulk of the England team who although good players were massively out of form in the 2nd half of the season compared to Scotland (who hit form) and Wales. 

A better idea would be to keep things as they are but have an independent coach and selectors, maybe Ben Ryan (ex England and ex Fiji) who wouldn't be involved with the individal teams so doesn't have a bias. This would be a huge blow to Scottish rugby if it goes, although the SRU do have previous on this.

As I understand it it  is more the other nations pushing the idea as the number of core teams could be reduced by 4. With the other nations trying to encourage the home nations to merge all 3 will be core side at the moment.

How about we just merge Fiji, Tonga and Samoa into one Pacific Islands team then? Why stop there, Australia and NZ can form ANZ, Canada & USA become North America, and France and Italy can join together too because they both play in blue.

11 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

The issue with 7s is the fact we compete as GB at the Olympics. Same reason why GB don't enter a football team. 

In hockey, we compete as distinct nations but join up for the Olympics. How it works in practice is that we play as GB for the entire season leading up to the Olympic Games, then as individual nations in the other 3 years, with the occasional GB game outwith the major events in those 3 years.

I wouldn't have a problem if that was the approach here, but I'd object to it being permanent.

Plain crazy, even more since on current form we are probably the best home nation. The 7s is vital for development of young players eg Hoyland Lee Jones George Horne. Scottish players would not get a look in and our young players would have more difficulty in stepping up to full international rugby. This would not only not benefit us but actively harm our player development. The Olympics wasn't an issue last time so no way it should be now. This is more like the sru being servile as per usual and too tight fisted. Properly seething that they would even consider this.

Iirc did they not have 2 GB squads play in the last couple of 7s events prior to naming the final Rio squad? Seemed to work well enough then so why change it?

Yeah it did. That's why I think this is more about English being huffy at poor results in last cpl years n sru being to servile n tight fisted to stand up for our 7s team.

I think the issue was last time GB had 3 chances to qualify (ie the ranking of either 3 countries was in the top 4) plus the other qualification routes. We only played as a GB squad in the European 7's at the end of the season - and this is pretty much 2nd tier stuff as the winner gets to enter the World 7's series qualifier in Hong Kong - we usually enter a development 7's each year rather than the full team.

If it was once every 4 years and we enter a GB team in 2 or 3 events in the lead up to the Olympics then I could handle that. A full season every 4 years would be pushing it for me, and full time no chance

There isn't really any need for all three to be able to provide a qualifying place for GB.

In curling, for instance, the performance of the Scotland team at various World events decides Great Britain's qualification for, and seeding at, the Winter Olympics.

Similarly only the FA is recognised as the "British" football association by the IOC, so if GB were to attempt to qualify, only the performance of England* would be factored in deciding their presence.

* based on the performance of the under-21 team in the men's event and the full team in the woman's competition, I believe.