Rugby Union

kiwififer

Guest Bob Mahelp

As exhilarating as the second half was on Saturday,  nothing should get away from the fact that our defence in the first half was schoolboy like. Embarrassing.

We've looked porous in every game this 6 Nations, and it should be something the coaches are making their number one priority.

We have a decent chance in Japan against an Ireland team that look one-dimensional and short of confidence. If we can get the defence sorted out together with a few players back from injury, then there's no reason why we can't beat them.

To be fair to the Scottish defence in the first half, England did to us the exact same as they did 2 years ago. We expect them to crash up close to the rucks and mauls, and our defensive patterns are set up to defend against this (hence no one out wide) but instead England spin it wide and have numbers, and the line out for the 2nd was excellently worked. I think in terms of the tactics in the first half, you could see we were trying to play a more methodical game, but that just doesn't suit us.

Not having read through the last 30 odd pages post match, but the one big plus for me was the scrum. We were giving away a fair bit of weight to England, yet the scrums were solid all game, infact I dont remember any of them moving at all on our ball which gave us a platform to attack. In years gone past we would have been going backwards in hte scrum giving us no ball to attack with.

I think Townsend will have learned a lot about the players over the last few weeks, and hopefully we can get a settled game plan in place over hte warm up games before the world cup. We have some real depth to the squad now, but we are still painfully short in others. If we lose Finn we have no back up. I think Hastings has played brialiiantly the last 2 games at fullback, and I think he is head and shoulders above Kinghorn their but at standoff he tries to do too much himself. I think there could be a few people who have played a part in the this 6N's not going to make the plane to Japan

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The stupidity of giving away a midfield penalty with seconds left on the clock and England going nowhere will long be burned into the recesses of my mind.

I might need professional help to stop myself waking up in the morning and my very first thought being ' all you had to do was not give away a penalty. All you had to do. All you had to do...'

:(

Jonathan Davies analysed the game on the BBC highlights and just convinced me that glorious failure is embedded in our national psyche.  Obviously not failure to lift the cup, but the years since a win there would have been a bigger monkey off the back.

In that last minute - there was Finn Russell kicking it, when others would kill the game.  Russell needlessly  breaking out of the defensive line from the lineout.  A failed tackle on the nearside that should have got man and ball out of the park - the penalty award, despite the warning from the ref it was coming - and even at that, the chance to concede the inevitable try in the corner and make it a pressure conversion.

I added the last one myself, and it likely proves I know little about rugby and how anyone would think in such a situation.

Edited by tarapoa

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Jonathan Davies analysed the game on the BBC highlights and just convinced me that glorious failure is embedded in our national psyche.  Obviously not failure to lift the cup, but the years since a win there would have been a bigger monkey off the back.

In that last minute - there was Finn Russell kicking it, when others would kill the game.  Russell needlessly  breaking out of the defensive line from the lineout.  A failed tackle on the nearside that should have got man and ball out of the park - the penalty award, despite the warning from the ref it was coming - and even at that, the chance to concede the inevitable try in the corner and make it a pressure conversion.

I added the last one myself, and it likely proves I know little about rugby and how anyone would think in such a situation.

Hindsight is a dangerous thing. 

Finn Russel kicking is is no more crazy than Dan Biggar at 16-13 up against England with 3 minutes to go attempting an audacious cross field kick to the corner that was inches away from being intercepted but instead led to the try that sealed the game

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Two and a half minutes is a long time to see out doing pick and goes. As Glasgow found out in Munster when you try that tactic the ref is going to look for any reason to penalise and given how England were able disrupt our previous rucks (with a clearly different interpretation than the ref used for Brown) kicking was a good option. 

I also don't think we collapsed the maul as Dan Cole was on the ground first.

Guest Bob Mahelp
10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Two and a half minutes is a long time to see out doing pick and goes. As Glasgow found out in Munster when you try that tactic the ref is going to look for any reason to penalise and given how England were able disrupt our previous rucks (with a clearly different interpretation than the ref used for Brown) kicking was a good option. 

I also don't think we collapsed the maul as Dan Cole was on the ground first.

I tend to agree with this.

It's a huge amount of time to try and run the clock down, especially when referee's often have a heightened sense of wanting to penalise the team trying to hold on to the ball. Russell's option was the right one......kick for territory and make England try to run it back.

I just watched it again. England were in their own half with 30 seconds left on the clock....30 fucking seconds. They then drove just over the halfway line, and the penalty was given because Fraser Brown had two grabs at the ball in a ruck, when he was off his feet.

Not the referee's fault, it was just utter madness and stupidity from Brown. If he'd just had the sense to do nothing, then England would still have had to try and score from halfway up the field.

F*cking idiot. I just screamed out loud watching it again.

And I really hope it's true that Ryan Wilson booed every time an England player came on the screen at the World Rugby awards.

I have seen that mentioned elsewhere online and he also wanted to call his son Wilson (must be a Utopia fan)

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

And I really hope it's true that Ryan Wilson booed every time an England player came on the screen at the World Rugby awards.

Last week's BBC rugby podcast with Wilson on is fantastic. Danny Care was absolutely seething. He seems to have almost single handedly broken English rugby. I believe he's on it again this week as well.

15 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The stupidity of giving away a midfield penalty with seconds left on the clock and England going nowhere will long be burned into the recesses of my mind.

I might need professional help to stop myself waking up in the morning and my very first thought being ' all you had to do was not give away a penalty. All you had to do. All you had to do...'

:(

This is one of these rare occasions when a post is both right and wrong.

At a quarter past 5 on Sat when we were 21 points down we were all ready to ditch it and looking for a  towel to throw in.

By half 6 we were all gutted that we didn't win.

As a bit of a half arsed rugby fan I may be missing something here. But is the way the 6 nations fixtures set out not a disadvantage to Scotland in terms of us having a chance at winning the thing (not that that's really a worry for now.. I know)? What I mean by that is that every time we have 3 home fixtures, Italy are one of them, which means we have two tough away games which we're likely to lose. If you were going to win the thing then you would beat Italy regardless, so the ideal fixtures are 3 home games, plus Italy and another away.

If the fixtures for us every two years were Ireland (H), Italy (A), Wales (H), France (H), England (A) I have no doubt that our placing every 2 years would be much better, and it wouldn't take a major improvement to be close to winning the thing (all those are fixtures that we have won in the last 3 years, apart from England which we drew). It seems we are stuck with those fixture rotations forever more.

Is this ever something that is mentioned or raised as an issue? Not saying it's just Scotland either, might be other nations who have a similar issue.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

As a bit of a half arsed rugby fan I may be missing something here. But is the way the 6 nations fixtures set out not a disadvantage to Scotland in terms of us having a chance at winning the thing (not that that's really a worry for now.. I know)? What I mean by that is that every time we have 3 home fixtures, Italy are one of them, which means we have two tough away games which we're likely to lose. If you were going to win the thing then you would beat Italy regardless, so the ideal fixtures are 3 home games, plus Italy and another away.

The Italy games were added into the previous (2 home, 2 away) rotation so Italy is either a 3rd home game or 3rd away game for everyone else, not just Scotland

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

Apart from McInally and Gilchrist thats pretty much full strength from Edinburgh

No Jamie Ritchie, who has been arguably Edinburgh and Scotland's most effective player this season.

There is genuine depth now at both pro teams, and at international level, which is great to see.