Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Road to Hampden part 3: 

Edinburgh to Wick is 257 miles. I made a weekend of it. 

Jeanfield Swifts were too strong for the Highland League opponents. Harmsworth Park has some slope on it and nice pies (I was in the queue for one when Swifts scored their second- it's some goal, check it out on the Scottish Cup highlights.

At least Jeanfield got a home tie in the next round and have a reasonable chance of surprising Elgin City. 

wk1.thumb.jpg.132aa5b7143ff22829b2bd48670f5bd5.jpg

wk2.thumb.jpg.e274265bd6ac1932589999885f863bf4.jpg

The first Jeanfield goal- an o.g. 

wk3.thumb.jpg.dedba98b876ad66315a6ce29565e9c8e.jpg

Wick have a decent keeper anyway, pulled off some good stops. 

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Road to Hampden part 3: 

Edinburgh to Wick is 257 miles. I made a weekend of it. 

Jeanfield Swifts were too strong for the Highland League opponents. Harmsworth Park has some slope on it and nice pies (I was in the queue for one when Swifts scored their second- it's some goal, check it out on the Scottish Cup highlights.

At least Jeanfield got a home tie in the next round and have a reasonable chance of surprising Elgin City. 

wk1.thumb.jpg.132aa5b7143ff22829b2bd48670f5bd5.jpg

wk2.thumb.jpg.e274265bd6ac1932589999885f863bf4.jpg

The first Jeanfield goal- an o.g. 

wk3.thumb.jpg.dedba98b876ad66315a6ce29565e9c8e.jpg

Wick have a decent keeper anyway, pulled off some good stops. 

Been there a couple of times, the last being 2-2 v WW in 2015. The spread they put on at half time put Edinburgh Uni to shame. Wick went 2-1 up in 92 minutes and a disgusted Sir Peter went for a pish. When he came out we were all dancing about as it was now 2-2.

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Been there a couple of times, the last being 2-2 v WW in 2015. The spread they put on at half time put Edinburgh Uni to shame. Wick went 2-1 up in 92 minutes and a disgusted Sir Peter went for a pish. When he came out we were all dancing about as it was now 2-2.

It's not like Whitehill to score last gasp goals too...or was that only against City? 

Same thing happened to my mate on Saturday- went for a pish at Peffermill and missed a Dunbar goal! 

Popped down to Easter Road tonight for the Hibernian v St Mirren league cup QF. This one was a slow burner, but birst into life later on. Not much happened for 30 minutes, until St Mirren almost scored Olusanya (I think) chipped Marshall. But his shot went narrowly wide. Hibs responded quickly but nothing came of it. Then just before Half time Hibs failed to clear their lines and Greg Tanser fired a left foot volley home to give Saints a half time lead. 

Hibs responded at the start of the second half. Hibs equaliser came from a corner when Youan glanced a header home on 51 minutes. Then 3 minutes later Hibs took the lead. A cross from the right from Miller (I think) was met by Vente, who turned and shot past Hemmings. 

The match had turned into a cracker. Saints though were never out of the game. They came storming back and equalised after 75 minutes when Hibs defence fell asleep. Keanu Baccus picked the ball up on the right outside the Box and fired his shot into the far corner of the goal to make it 2-2. 

At this point. The game could have gone either way. But it was Hibs who took the lead again 4 minutes later. Substitute Rory Whittaker passed the ball to Martin Boyle in the 6 yard box. He turned and shot past Hemmings to make it 3-2. 

St Mirren though kept going, looking for the equaliser to take it to Penalties. And nearly scored a couple of times. But Hibs were now playing on the Counter. Boyle almost scored again. But Hemmings saved. But on 94 minutes he wasn't to be denied his brace. He ran through on goal and slotted his shot past Hemmings to sent the Hibs fans home happy. If not a rad breathless. What a fantastic second half. St Mirren though will be gutted after putting so much hard work and effort into the game. 

Ticket £20, Programme £2. Crowd. 9982. Including about 1000 Saints 

20230927_184900.jpg

20230927_194428.jpg

20230927_210308.jpg

Cork City versus St Patrick's x2.IMG_20230929_164314238_MFNR.thumb.jpg.a96827181fd4df82832af45a81bb594d.jpg

Walked into the club shop, which is on my way from one of my sites, Carrigaline, to Cobh, where I live.

"One adult ticket for the St Patrick's game."

Walked out, it's the league match, tonight, not the  cup semi final on October 8th....

My busy September continues with a short trip down to Ainslie Park to see Hutchison Vale V Crossgates Primrose in the East of Scotland Premier Division. 

A very even first half between two midtable teams, though the hosts had a better start to the season. 

First chance fell to Crossgates early on with Vale creating a couple after that. But the game burst into life just before half time when they broke down the right and number 11 stabbed the ball home at the second attempt. Vale soon had a second in first half injury time when they won a free kick, which hit the wall. But centre half number 4 took a shot which fell to number 6 who tapped home. 

The second half started with Crossgates attempting to get back in the game, but truth be told the attempts weren't great. Hutchison Vale were in total control and won a penalty on the hour mark, which number 10 finished of to make it 3-0. Vale had several chances to score more goals. But poor finishing and good goalkeeping kept it at three. A well deserved win for Vale. Crossgates will be very disappointed at how they fell apart so easily after an even first half. Final score 3-0. Crowd. Approx 150.

£8 entry, £2 for a programme. 

20230929_185925.jpg

20230929_194547.jpg

20230929_195311.jpg

Headline from last night is that St Patrick's took their chance, and Cork City just didn't.

The good news is they've/we've(*) nothing to fear for the big cup match in eight days time.....

Their goal was a header from a set piece, which none of us like to see going in against us.

Cork had three or four decent chances to reply, without substantively challenging their keeper so much.

(*) torn loyalties a bit. I loved my trip to Sligo last summer, despite Motherwell getting pumped. I work in both Little Island, and Carrigaline, so Cork literally is my city. I also live in Cobh, where Roy Keane started.....

Atmosphere last night better than any I've witnessed in the SPFL recently, not that I've been going so much. Probably will adopt Cork city as my ROI team.

Finally, both number 4s massive upgrades on Rikki fucking Lamie.....

To Pilton for Spartans v Bonnyrigg Rose. 

Bonnyrigg took a two goal lead - firstly from a goalkeeping blunder; second was a typically stunning free kick from Lee Currie - and Bonnyrigg should really have had enough sense to see the game out from that lead. 

Highlight of the game, other than the free kick, and an ultra greeting for his mammy when the stewards were huckling him out for his pyro, was a gentleman on the grassy knoll going for a flying header to return the ball to the pitch. A good laugh was had by all as he missed it and then plummeted down the banking!

IMG_8642.jpeg

IMG_8639.jpeg

8th and Final game of a busy September, You'll all be glad to know.. A first visit to K Park for Lowland League pacesetters East Kilbride for the match against Civil Service Strollers. Ticket £8, programme £2.50. 

The match was pretty much controlled by EK from the start. But CSS looked dangerous on the break. I was impressed with the good football played by the hosts for most of the match. But the visitors with 5 at the back were determined not to give much away. It took the normally free scoring hosts 35 minutes to break the deadlock when a quick 4 pass move sent Nathan Flanagan through where he shot past Owens for 1-0 at half time. A well deserved lead. 

The second half was a very good EK performance where they created numerous chances, but Owens in the CSS goal was having a superb game, making save after save. He though didn't have much chance on 76 minutes when Marc Kelly was fouled in the box. He stepped up to send Owens the wrong way to make it 2-0. EK really should have scored a cou0le more in a one sided second half. But excellent defending and good goalkeeping kept the score respectable. 

A good crowd of about 400 I think. Mostly families and a nice club. East Kilbride look a good team too. And should win the Lowland League with something to spare. 

My last game now for a couple of weeks, as I now have to work so.e weekends 🙁

20230930_145936.jpg

20230930_145407.jpg

20230930_160715.jpg

1 hour ago, atfccfc said:

8th and Final game of a busy September, You'll all be glad to know.. A first visit to K Park for Lowland League pacesetters East Kilbride for the match against Civil Service Strollers. Ticket £8, programme £2.50. 

The match was pretty much controlled by EK from the start. But CSS looked dangerous on the break. I was impressed with the good football played by the hosts for most of the match. But the visitors with 5 at the back were determined not to give much away. It took the normally free scoring hosts 35 minutes to break the deadlock when a quick 4 pass move sent Nathan Flanagan through where he shot past Owens for 1-0 at half time. A well deserved lead. 

The second half was a very good EK performance where they created numerous chances, but Owens in the CSS goal was having a superb game, making save after save. He though didn't have much chance on 76 minutes when Marc Kelly was fouled in the box. He stepped up to send Owens the wrong way to make it 2-0. EK really should have scored a cou0le more in a one sided second half. But excellent defending and good goalkeeping kept the score respectable. 

A good crowd of about 400 I think. Mostly families and a nice club. East Kilbride look a good team too. And should win the Lowland League with something to spare. 

My last game now for a couple of weeks, as I now have to work so.e weekends 🙁

20230930_145407.jpg

The oystercatcher was known as the little helper of St Bride. East Kilbride's name is derived from the Gaelic Ceill Bride or "The Cell of Bride". That's why it is on the EK badge. 

Oystercatchers are also noisy f*ckers who used to keep the student TTB awake in Aberdeen. 

I must get round to publishing my book on Scottish football badges sometime.. 

Arlington SA 2-3 Yinz United Att: ~40

Second qualifying round of the US Open Cup about 100 yards from the Pentagon in Arlington, VA.  Arlington SA are a local academy and have had players go on to play for the US national team. Yinz United are from Maryland though their name and colours betray links to Pittsburgh/Western Pennsylvania.

Decent enough game on an awful plastic pitch covered in Boeing branding - the company’s new HQ is next door. The pictures I took were awful even by my standards but it was quite a nice setting for a game, with the Potomac River, railway and airport on one side and the Pentagon on the other.

IMG_6122.thumb.jpeg.ec9a38a800b27f82ea70fbd4b8608cd0.jpeg

On 30/09/2023 at 22:54, tamthebam said:

The oystercatcher was known as the little helper of St Bride.

Aye, Gille Bride ( St Bride’s gillie) is the Gaelic for the Oystercatcher, or Shalder as they call it in Shetland, or Tjaldur in Iceland. 

On 29/09/2023 at 22:09, atfccfc said:

My busy September continues with a short trip down to Ainslie Park to see Hutchison Vale V Crossgates Primrose in the East of Scotland Premier Division. 

A very even first half between two midtable teams, though the hosts had a better start to the season. 

First chance fell to Crossgates early on with Vale creating a couple after that. But the game burst into life just before half time when they broke down the right and number 11 stabbed the ball home at the second attempt. Vale soon had a second in first half injury time when they won a free kick, which hit the wall. But centre half number 4 took a shot which fell to number 6 who tapped home. 

The second half started with Crossgates attempting to get back in the game, but truth be told the attempts weren't great. Hutchison Vale were in total control and won a penalty on the hour mark, which number 10 finished of to make it 3-0. Vale had several chances to score more goals. But poor finishing and good goalkeeping kept it at three. A well deserved win for Vale. Crossgates will be very disappointed at how they fell apart so easily after an even first half. Final score 3-0. Crowd. Approx 150.

£8 entry, £2 for a programme. 

20230929_185925.jpg

20230929_194547.jpg

20230929_195311.jpg

I think that's steven Anderson, ex St Johnstone player on the left in blue??

Only one place to be today: the Wee Yins Disco. 

But until then this Junior Cup tie between Cumnock (holders) and relegation threatened Talbot will have to tide me over.

In the club before the game, six Americans walked in. “What kind of accent is that?” “Excuse me, I can’t make you out, I’m American.”

After much hilarity at the mutual barrier, the locals established the party was here from the Bronx and touring Scotland to visit family, this was recommended to them as a day out.

As they parted, the local said “enjoy the game, don’t get lifted”.

IMG_8678.jpeg

IMG_8679.jpeg

IMG_8681.jpeg