Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Cupar Hearts 3-4 Kirriemuir Thistle

You may recall a few weeks ago me saying that was Fife complete. In terms of the pyramid it is but we still have the two in a row Amateur Cup winners to visit. 

Cupar is bigger than Annan, Stenhousemuir and Dingwall yet has no team in the pyramid. What it does have is the best Amateur team in the country. Their test this evening is the team that finished sixth in last year's Midlands League, Kirrie Thistle.

A set up a bit like Peebles an open football ground next to the larger Howe of Fife rugby stadium. Part of the reason Cupar aren't in the pyramid is the lack of enclosure here. I believe options are being explored but I could be talking mince.

Kick off delayed by ten minutes as the ref hadn't turned up. Slight concern about his lack of warm up but as he didn't leave the centre circle all game he was fine.

Over the piece a draw is probably the fair result of a fiesty game. However the League team pinch it late on. A defensive mix up that will make Lee Ashcroft feel a bit better about himself equalised for Kirrie and Yordan Letchkov upfront for Cupar will be disappointed not to have scored.

Duffus Park isn't bad. Miles better than every cage that infects the leagues. Hearts are a good team that for long stages matched their tier six opponents. Genuinely hope to see them in the pyramid some day.

20240724_194045.jpg

20240724_192011.jpg

20240724_190520.jpg

20240724_200044.jpg

Edited by Groundhopping Adventures

No game for Lochee United tonight but I saw this game was on. As I haven't been to Cupar Hearts before and I was interested how they would look against a team from our league, I decided to go along. Cupar Hearts won the Scottish Amateur Cup for the second time in succession last season, while the visitors finished 6th in the Midlands League.

The ground, Duffus Park, is definitely a good ground for their level. There is standing room all around the pitch with a few benches for spectators. They have some good facilities, showing club colours and honours. The ground can't be properly enclosed though, because of that Cupar Hearts can't get into the pyramid.

The game was brilliant for a neutral. The hosts took the lead early on Kirrie had the most chances but didn't convert many. Late on in the first half they did manage to turn the deficit around to lead 1-2 at HT. Cupar Hearts didn't give up though and started attacking after the break. They equalised and managed to take the lead again. Late on in the game the visitors got more chances and scored twice to win the game. The game got a bit fiesty near the end but over the whole game, the better team won.

May be an image of 9 people, people playing football, people playing American football and grass

May be an image of turnstile, launderette and text

May be an image of 1 person, playing football and grass

May be an image of 8 people, people playing American football, people playing football and grass

May be an image of 5 people, people playing American football, people playing football and grass

May be an image of 5 people, people playing American football, people playing football and grass

May be an image of 9 people, people playing football, people playing American football and grass

1 hour ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

You may recall a few weeks ago me saying that was Fife complete. In terms of the pyramid it is but we still have the two in a row Amateur Cup winners to visit. 

Cupar is bigger than Annan, Stenhousemuir and Dingwall yet has no team in the pyramid. What it does have is the best Amateur team in the country. Their test this evening is the team that finished sixth in last year's Midlands League, Kirrie Thistle.

A set up a bit like Peebles an open football ground next to the larger Howe of Fife rugby stadium. Part of the reason Cupar aren't in the pyramid is the lack of enclosure here. I believe options are being explored but I could be talking mince.

From speaking to people tonight, I've heard that there is no chance to enclose their current ground, they are not allowed to do that. Other options in Cupar are limited and understandable they don't want to play out of town just to join the pyramid. A new ground in Cupar would be hard to achieve. Not saying they won't try, but it will definitely not be happening in the short term.

3 minutes ago, Marten said:

From speaking to people tonight, I've heard that there is no chance to enclose their current ground, they are not allowed to do that. Other options in Cupar are limited and understandable they don't want to play out of town just to join the pyramid. A new ground in Cupar would be hard to achieve. Not saying they won't try, but it will definitely not be happening in the short term.

Did wonder if, like Peebles, they were exploring sharing the rugby club but apparently not. Howe of Fife not enclosed either tbf

Just now, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Did wonder if, like Peebles, they were exploring sharing the rugby club but apparently not. Howe of Fife not enclosed either tbf

Because it's not enclosed either like you say (and also can't be), it would not help them getting into the pyramid anyway. So it's not really an option for them. 

1 hour ago, Marten said:

It's good that the park is well used and able to cram in three games played on pitches next to each (seen that when at a Howe game) but unfortunately that means none of them can be permanently enclosed without affecting another one. Plus there's the highland games area which would be affected if pitches were moved/rotated (though it didn't take place this year).

I was going to say there's the other bit of Duffus Park to the south or the playing fields south of the high school but they don't look the flattest...

Edited by Ginaro

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 1 Renfrew 0 HT.

First Rob Roy game at their long awaited new stadium, so bringing to a close their 10-year sojourn in Cumbernauld. Renfrew marked the occasion by arriving in the contemporary Olympic way (by barge, along the canal whilst spraying themselves copiously with water and dancing jauntily to Europop hits, sporting the flag of Ikea).

The ground has been discussed elsewhere on P&B. I really like it, accepting it has some limitations but will be improved in time, others less so (“a soulless plastic cage, marking the death of football and not as good as the Talbot”). We’ll leave it there. Everyone is a critic.

Game is settling into a pattern, Renfrew seem to be the stronger team as the half ended but still trail to an early Rob Roy goal.

EDIT - finished 1-0. A very entertaining second half, plenty of chances at both ends. Rob Roy definitely shaded it overall but Renfrew played well. Crowd announced as 833.

IMG_1993.jpeg

IMG_1990.jpeg

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC
Pools panel

Haddington Athletic 5-2 Glenrothes

Decided to forgo the opening game at Rob Roy and tick off one of the few remaining East of Scotland grounds we've still to visit. The bonus of the visitors being Fifers set this up perfectly.

A word of warning that Google Maps sends you all weird ways once you get to Haddington. Mill Wynd is what you're looking for. Once you arrive you will find one of the best grounds in Scotland. This is objectively superb. 

Lovely folk, very tidy, views of the old mill, nice enclosure, good patter from the PA manny, a Programme! Fantastic stuff. Helped that the opening game of the East of Scotland Premier League for season 24/25 was a cracker. 

Picked the right spot behind the pavilion goal with six of the seven goals being scored into this net. Two of which had the visitors ahead at half time but the hosts come roaring back with four second half goals to overturn the deficit after taking the lead early on themselves. The quality of goals today was fantastic. Both of Glens were genuine quality as Jock Brown used to say.

Get to Millfield. All of you. Surprised to learn that Haddington have one recently been a top flight team. This ground is befitting of a team consistently at this level. We'll be back along this coast later in the year to see the mortal enemy at New Countess Park.

20240727_143024.jpg

20240727_145923.jpg

20240727_142734.jpg

Western League kicks off at Winterfield Road : Paulton Rovers, relegated from the Southern Lge, v Nailsea & Twickenham. At 20 the newly put together hosts looked good for the win.However a lucky pen and a shot from edge of box makes it 22, before injury time drama as an effort rebounds off the bar to be nodded home for 32. Att around 150+ and £8 with20240727_164829.thumb.jpg.c6fc5d0f653121d9dc22e9b9cfb4512a.jpg prog £2.

3 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Haddington Athletic 5-2 Glenrothes

Decided to forgo the opening game at Rob Roy and tick off one of the few remaining East of Scotland grounds we've still to visit. The bonus of the visitors being Fifers set this up perfectly.

A word of warning that Google Maps sends you all weird ways once you get to Haddington. Mill Wynd is what you're looking for. Once you arrive you will find one of the best grounds in Scotland. This is objectively superb. 

Lovely folk, very tidy, views of the old mill, nice enclosure, good patter from the PA manny, a Programme! Fantastic stuff. Helped that the opening game of the East of Scotland Premier League for season 24/25 was a cracker. 

Picked the right spot behind the pavilion goal with six of the seven goals being scored into this net. Two of which had the visitors ahead at half time but the hosts come roaring back with four second half goals to overturn the deficit after taking the lead early on themselves. The quality of goals today was fantastic. Both of Glens were genuine quality as Jock Brown used to say.

Get to Millfield. All of you. Surprised to learn that Haddington have one recently been a top flight team. This ground is befitting of a team consistently at this level. We'll be back along this coast later in the year to see the mortal enemy at New Countess Park.

20240727_143024.jpg

20240727_145923.jpg

20240727_142734.jpg

Big chimney beside big care home. Exceptionally poor juxtaposition.

That besides, I always enjoy a trip to Haddington (the town), although strangely I’ve seen the Proclaimers play in Haddington as many times as I’ve been to their football ground (once). I’ve had one office Xmas party there as well (that was unbelievably painful to get home from, I barely made it home before the bells), and I once assisted a woman and child to safely exit a burning vehicle there (she was a bit in shock and somehow needed told to get as far away from the scene as possible!). A town of one-offs clearly.

I had an in-law from there, who was called Uncle Tom (his actual title; as opposed to the perjorative title used in America). He taught me that if you find the conversation at a polite family get together absolutely tedious, it was quite alright just to fall asleep on the sofa. Some of the best naps I ever had were in his company. He’s away to the big comfy sofa in the sky now. A good guy, much missed by us.

I think I have digressed.

10 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Big chimney beside big care home. Exceptionally poor juxtaposition.

That besides, I always enjoy a trip to Haddington (the town), although strangely I’ve seen the Proclaimers play in Haddington as many times as I’ve been to their football ground (once). I’ve had one office Xmas party there as well (that was unbelievably painful to get home from, I barely made it home before the bells), and I once assisted a woman and child to safely exit a burning vehicle there (she was a bit in shock and somehow needed told to get as far away from the scene as possible!). A town of one-offs clearly.

I had an in-law from there, who was called Uncle Tom (his actual title; as opposed to the perjorative title used in America). He taught me that if you find the conversation at a polite family get together absolutely tedious, it was quite alright just to fall asleep on the sofa. Some of the best naps I ever had were in his company. He’s away to the big comfy sofa in the sky now. A good guy, much missed by us.

All you needed to round off the full Haddington experience was devilled whitebait at the Riverside. The best starter I've ever had in Scotland!

6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

All you needed to round off the full Haddington experience was devilled whitebait at the Riverside. The best starter I've ever had in Scotland!

That’s where the Xmas party was! I’ve no idea what I ate. It had recently reopened from a big flood, which will narrow the year down to about 20 of the last 25 years I’d imagine.

Never ever, ever, ever, ever, go to "Haddington wines and whiskys" on the high street. The place stinks of stale farts 🤢🤢. Get yourself to the winton brewery tap room.

Another picturesque ground in the NW Sutherland league as lairg rovers take on brora wanderers,brora taking a 2-4 away win.lovely&hot but breezy enough to keep off the midges.entertaining game&the early KO meant I could catch the 2nd half of brora rangers-turiff;which was a shame because it was dull,dull,dullIMG_20240727_135845.thumb.jpg.36a3bb3dc98cea85369fb4f863df6514.jpg

IMG_20240727_132225.jpg

14 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I'd like to digress too...

Spoiler

Back in the day I worked for a firm that supplied all sorts of stuff to the motor trade. The biggest garage in Haddington was owned by a man who liked a drink and apparently had a flat above the garage where he could sleep it off. So anonymity required but the garage employed Willie Wood who represented Scotland at bowls and was quite famous at the time.
One week I popped in and the owner intercepted me and I showed him my monthly offers (normally I dealt with the foreman). He immediately ordered a fairly expensive space heater, which was a minor shock as usually a sale would be hard work and probably at a discount.
The next week, the heater was happily firing away in the workshop and all the men were happy. The owner asked me who had ordered the heater and I told him he had. He just looked a bit confused but let it pass.
P.s. the correct pronunciation is Hedditon and you should address people by saying 'hymen'...
But yes, seen many decent games involving the Hi-Hi at Millfield, not been for a few years.

Edited by The Mantis

Whitehill Welfare 3 Blackburn Utd 3.
EOSL Div 1.
Ferguson Park looking majestic for the new season. Welfare conceded after only 3 minutes, but a strong first half saw them come back to lead 3-1 at half time, having missed a hatload of chances. However Blackburn came back strongly and dominated the second half for a well-earned point.

R5__6504.thumb.JPG.9060ec1ac2b78a8b8b32d60218d98459.JPG

R5__6313.thumb.JPG.41aa9c74c3c0df72339d07a38849bf91.JPG

R5__6345.thumb.JPG.375afb8a0ec97eb1c184f00b8d6c3e5f.JPG

R5__6362.thumb.JPG.2bca7a0209ac46a30d126be61d119634.JPG

R5__6430.thumb.JPG.1e143c3766a97f66d896fed714cc3a02.JPG

R5__6393.thumb.JPG.6fd954a7247cbed7d17a5fbc435e1fdb.JPG

R5__6532.thumb.JPG.70bc6ea3741950ba3d1953eea0dff0e6.JPG