Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

On 27/07/2024 at 19:42, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I once assisted a woman and child to safely exit a burning vehicle there (she was a bit in shock and somehow needed told to get as far away from the scene as possible!).

Maybe your powers of persuasion leave a bit to be desired, if she'd rather stay in a burning car than go with you!

First time at The Walks this season. 

Friendly v Northampton Town. 

£12.

Big player turn around and lot of new faces in. Also the return of former striker Gold Omotayo. 

ivVDLwg.jpeg

Lovely night for it :)

Edited by Trackdaybob

Lynn 2-2 Northampton Town. 

Att circa 600 I'd guess. 

Just about a fair result I'd say. Northampton impressive though. Lots of movement and short, sharp, intricate passing and two well worked goals. Lynn better in the second half. Particularly after Northampton made a few changes. Deserved a draw in the end I'd say. 

Next is a Luton Town XI at The Walks on Saturday before the league starts proper the following week v Warrington Town. 

Edited by Trackdaybob

Whitehill Welfare 1 Leith Athletic 0.

See where @The Mantis said that Ferguson Park was looking majestic at the weekend, he’s absolutely right!

That pitch is magnificent. Not as good as Beith or Talbot probably, their stripes are much stripier, their goal lines are much whiter, and their corner flags are so much flappier in the breeze, but still good for a team from outside Ayrshire.

The stadium has had a wee lick of paint this summer, and it just looked fabulous.

IMG_2006.jpeg

New Elgin 0-4 Nairn St Ninian, Grill League Cup group stage. Entry £6. Attendance about 20 inside the fence, 15 outside the fence with a much better view from the top of the embankment.

A lovely night for a game at a basic wee ground, with an amateur game on the pitch behind. St Ninian dominated throughout and well deserved their win, though to say the home side's keeper could have done better with a couple of the goals would be a considerable understatement.

That completes the grounds of the North Region Juniors for me, most of which I'll fondly remember and a few I'd love to visit again.

20240730_192827~2.jpg

20240730_193114~2.jpg

10 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Whitehill Welfare 1 Leith Athletic 0.

See where @The Mantis said that Ferguson Park was looking majestic at the weekend, he’s absolutely right!

That pitch is magnificent. Not as good as Beith or Talbot probably, their stripes are much stripier, their goal lines are much whiter, and their corner flags are so much flappier in the breeze, but still good for a team from outside Ayrshire.

The stadium has had a wee lick of paint this summer, and it just looked fabulous.

A decent game decided by a scrappy goal. I thought The Welfare could have made it more comfortable but in the end they were glad to hear the whistle. I think the guys got a donation of claret and blue paint which has spruced up the barriers no end. They were white before, and from personal experience it's a lot of work.

Spoiler

I gathered from Futbology that you were there as you seem to use that avatar a lot... hopefully I'm not 'outing' you as I think you had to be at the game to see who else was there 😇

IMG_9324.jpeg

Edited by The Mantis

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

New Elgin 0-4 Nairn St Ninian, Grill League Cup group stage. Entry £6. Attendance about 20 inside the fence, 15 outside the fence with a much better view from the top of the embankment.

A lovely night for a game at a basic wee ground, with an amateur game on the pitch behind. St Ninian dominated throughout and well deserved their win, though to say the home side's keeper could have done better with a couple of the goals would be a considerable understatement.

That completes the grounds of the North Region Juniors for me, most of which I'll fondly remember and a few I'd love to visit again.

Fair do's 👏 , some achievement. Maybe you relocated to Aiberdeen or whatever. Can't see me ever going beyond the Midlands League. Been to St Ninian and Cromdale though.
I suppose my claim to fame is the Lewis & Harris League as I'm up there a lot. Hoping to be at Point next Monday, just in case any Midlothian burglars are reading this.

BBS Stadium for the hosts 1st home game in the Western Lge following promotion from the Somerset. Mendip Broadwalk 2 Cribbs Reserves 1 a late pen seals the win for the 'Dip, who are settling into the higher standard well. A decent game, and an ever improving ground. Clubhouse upstairs, covered area and base for a stand on opposite side. Lack of photos due to phone battery dying.chrome_screenshot_1722420264885.thumb.png.81a929424969b40ceee8ec29e2810b8a.png

3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

A decent game decided by a scrappy goal. I thought The Welfare could have made it more comfortable but in the end they were glad to hear the whistle. I think the guys got a donation of claret and blue paint which has spruced up the barriers no end. They were white before, and from personal experience it's a lot of work.

Hide contents

I gathered from Futbology that you were there as you seem to use that avatar a lot... hopefully I'm not 'outing' you as I think you had to be at the game to see who else was there 😇

IMG_9324.jpeg

Not to worry about outing me. My assassins haven’t been able to track me down so far! If they hang about Kennacraig or Port Ellen, they’ll get me eventually.

I’ll likely be at Whitehill a bit more this season. My wee boy seems to favour them (or Hibs) currently, and as I’m not an oligarch I won’t be taking him to Easter Road very often. Nor would I want to really, even if I didn’t mind burning bank notes, the proper games at the top table don’t really hold much appeal and haven’t done for 25 years now.

He’s went right off Bongo Rose and I can’t really blame him, don’t think I’ve really enjoyed a game there for a season or more! He still likes an occasional Dalkeith or Nitten game, although I think his main determining factor is the quality of the grub. And he feels very important at Whitehill, as he was asked to help take the corner flags in once and I think that’s him feeling like he’s on the committee now.

So to decode my random patterns: when in Midlothian for a game it will tend to be with him in tow; when going somewhere more exciting, that’s when I’m left to my own devices!

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Hide contents

IMG_9324.jpeg

A mesage comes in via Ouija board:

"Stripey pitch? Naw.. it's no been f*cking rolled enough. Disgraceful. Wouldn't have happened in ma day"

Just now, tamthebam said:

A mesage comes in via Ouija board:

"Stripey pitch? Naw.. it's no been f*cking rolled enough. Disgraceful. Wouldn't have happened in ma day"

🤣
I think you should pay a visit to see how his grandson is filling his shoes...

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 1-0 Blantyre Victoria

Kirky have a team playing in the town again! Here for the second ever Rob Roy game at the Kirkintilloch Community Sports Complex. 

Haddington on Saturday was the perfect example of what a non league ground built several decades ago can be. This is the perfect example of how to make a ground built in 2024 work. Seated stand, pavilion, plenty standing all the way round the park and excellent looking floodlights. Only issue was the very religious catering staff we reading their bible. Specifically Matthew "many were Cauld and two were frozen". I'm told the pies were heated up later though. 

As Sam North and others have said Saturday's game was nervy and so was this. Roy had the better of the game and did win it with a goal just before half time. A looping header clinching it. Roy huffed and puffed but could never fully put the game to bed. However, two games, two wins and no goals conceded. Easy this new ground stuff. 

Like any good ground it's in a flight path. Not quite Clydebank on that front but still see planes taking off from Glasgow Airport, splendid stuff. 

I'm delighted Rob Roy are home. Having grown up close by I do remember them in Adamslie and was there once. Most of the time though has been spent clinging on by their fingernails at Cumbernauld. Great club, all the best to them.

20240731_194031.jpg

20240731_201603.jpg

20240731_203710.jpg

Hutchinson Vale 1-0 Lochore Welfare in  East of Scotland Qualifying Cup. First game since the euros due to various reasons. Hutchie were the better side but never really looked like scoring more than the 1 goal they did. Some very poor set pieces didn’t help them. Lovely night for watching a game. Crowd of about 70. 

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0015.jpeg

13 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Fair do's 👏 , some achievement. Maybe you relocated to Aiberdeen or whatever. Can't see me ever going beyond the Midlands League. Been to St Ninian and Cromdale though.
I suppose my claim to fame is the Lewis & Harris League as I'm up there a lot. Hoping to be at Point next Monday, just in case any Midlothian burglars are reading this.

I did them all from Linlithgow. I've stayed in a few B&Bs - in Peterhead they're suspiciously cheap but still fine - and had a few trips with my wife, including yesterday. I stayed with a friend a couple of times too. A lot of long drives, especially as I prioritise these games in midweek so I can go to Linlithgow Rose games on Saturdays, but almost all of it enjoyable.

I'd love to go to the grounds in the Lewis & Harris League - any chance you can persuade them to stagger kick-offs across a week?

Another for Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 1-0 Blantyre Vics.

I was a victim of those cold pies, as referenced by @Groundhopping Adventures above. At £3 a pie and not having had anything to eat since lunchtime I took them back. The replacements were hot but, well, see pic below. You can't buy a cold drink from the same place as the pies, you have to queue separately at the van nearby that doesn't open until 10 minutes before kick-off. And it's £2 a can. Their generator made a hell of a racket through the whole game too. A lot of room for improvement.

But that's all trivial - Rob Roy are back home where the belong. Ignore those who call this a 3G cage, it's a proper enclosed football ground. I've nothing to add to their review above. Lang may Rob Roy's lum reek.

20240731_193007.jpg

20240731_211409.jpg

20240731_193839.jpg

Cumnock 1 Largs Thistle 3.

It’s a weird trick to take almost a whole team (Broomhill), take their manager, move them all to Cumnock, add a couple of decent signings from elsewhere, lay a new pitch for them, and end up with a team that look like complete strangers. Largs absolutely annihilated Cumnock tonight, you don’t see many games as one-sided like this in the super-dooper-west-is-best-premier-league.

At least I got an onion pie for my tea, that’s basically validated a 2.5 hour round trip on a school night.

IMG_2013.jpeg

IMG_2020.jpeg

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

I'd love to go to the grounds in the Lewis & Harris League - any chance you can persuade them to stagger kick-offs across a week?

If you get the luck of the draw you can often get Mon-Wed-Fri but the fixtures don't come out till April. In fact this year it seemed to be a secret as the website didn't publish them at first, and I was there from 12/4 this year but didn't know till later. Last year they started on 14/4 and I was in luck. Although some years the pitches are too soggy or the weather is just awful in April.

We normally travel Fri-Fri which cuts down what I can see as Friday is a popular night for fixtures. It's just wonderful on a summer's night though, say a drive up to Ness or Carloway, and there's nothing else on in the village so there's a decent turnout. If you've not already seen my blog it's worth a look.
This year I've been trying to visit the Forth & Endrick League but due to various circumstances I've only been at 4 out of the 10. 

On 15/07/2024 at 21:00, Grangemouth Bairn said:

8 of us away to Dusseldorf in August for our 50th birthdays.

24th going to Mainz vs Union Berlin then 25th over to the Netherlands for VVV Venlo vs Roda.

Looking forward to it.

Been in touch with some Venlo fans and they’ve given us seats on the ‘Party Bus’ from the Take Five Bar to the stadium and back 😂.

bokd4.thumb.jpg.fdbfdd0f649a6c1b6505ac498cfb55fd.jpg

The East of Scotland League kicked off with Bo'ness Ath v Kirkcaldy and Dysart and Athletic started the new season with a 4-1 win. Will they continue their progress? We'll see.. It was surprisingly feisty though, a few meaty tackles going in.

hagj5.thumb.jpg.5067d353eb69bb42993b1a7ae9e4f027.jpg

Lots of other P&Bers at Haddington last Saturday so here's a dug sulking because he didn't get any of my pie

babu2.thumb.jpg.dc7fb178b045cb88f0359811716edeef.jpg

Broxburn's first goal in a 5-0 win against Blackburn United on Tuesday

sba17.thumb.jpg.296f9d043c48cb0015fd2b3d1540a982.jpg

Shotts 1 Clydebank 2 on Wednesday. Clydebank might rue not winning by more at the end of the season if it goes down to goal difference. 

Greenock Juniors 1 Thorn Athletic 1 HT. A first trip to Ravenscraig Stadium for this local derby (ish).

Had a lovely morning wandering around Greenock in the sunshine:

Big cruise ship ✅

Waverley paddle steamer ✅

Wyllieum museum ✅

Lyle Hill ✅

Successfully constructed, launched and put into service Calmac ferries ❌❌

The game started at a fair lick. Thorn scored after about 30 seconds. Greenock equalised late on but sadly I was looking away from the scene of what was described as a “keystone cops goal”. 

Met some nice men in the tearoom at half time who told me about the time they went to Hampden to see Greenock in the cup final. The next teams to grace the Hampden pitch? Real Madrid and Eintracht Frankfurt.

Crowd is pushing 50 now, roughly doubling since kick off.

IMG_2053.jpeg

IMG_2042.jpeg

IMG_2061.jpeg

IMG_2062.jpeg