Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

11 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

No programme, no cover, no toilets (unless you leave the ground) and no way it should host a final.

Not good AFJ. I still have the programme template from last year it would have been an easy job but it was the South’s final. 

15 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Did you see any trouble my mate was there said it was very intimidating  especially around the ground and train station  ?

No, I didn't. But it was obviously very busy, so I can easily have missed that. The atmosphere was intimidating, but that's what you expect for a game as big as that.

Here's a tale of a random match I never went to...

...was planning to attend Clapton CFC v Ealing Town today then realised it was a a 14:00 KO time so would miss the first fifteen and it was pissing it down anyway.

Ealing Town turnt up without their kit, somehow, and referee awarded Clapton a 3-0 win. Clapton weren't happy with this so pleaded with the ref to let Ealing get a kit sorted so the game would go ahead. Ref agreed but, with no floodlights at the ground, it was only gonna be 30 minutes each. 

Clapton got skelped 4-1 in the pissing rain. 

But it was a moral victory. I guess.

15 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Here's a tale of a random match I never went to...

...was planning to attend Clapton CFC v Ealing Town today then realised it was a a 14:00 KO time so would miss the first fifteen and it was pissing it down anyway.

Ealing Town turnt up without their kit, somehow, and referee awarded Clapton a 3-0 win. Clapton weren't happy with this so pleaded with the ref to let Ealing get a kit sorted so the game would go ahead. Ref agreed but, with no floodlights at the ground, it was only gonna be 30 minutes each. 

Clapton got skelped 4-1 in the pissing rain. 

But it was a moral victory. I guess.

What a carry on ! Are they still at the The Spotted Dog Stadium ? Went there a couple of seasons ago walked it after an early kick off at the Boleyn. 

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

Just now, Rab B Nesbit said:

What a carry on ! Are they still at the The Spotted Dog Stadium ? Went there a couple of seasons ago walked it after an early kick off at the Boleyn. 

That's Clapton FC. Clapton CFC are a breakaway team that only started this season... Here's the story

Short version is Clapton FC's owner has wanted to sell the Old Spotted Dog for a while but, for various reasons, can't. Whenever the fans tried to buy the club from the owner they were dicked around and, eventually, the owner banned loads of the fans from the stadium and kept bad mouthing them in the press/programme. Fans got sick of it and started their own club who play at one of the astro turf pitches at Wadham Lodge, Walthamstow. They've nicknamed their current ground the "Stray Dog" but it's basically Walthamstow FC's reserve pitch. 

On 12/14/2018 at 13:54, DiegoDiego said:

...more stadiums should have moats.

hey DiegoDiego - hope you're enjoying your Italian football odyssey (jealous as f**k here, btw...)

have you done Padova yet - seriously thinking of a post-christmas jaunt for the HV game when things start up after the winter break (18.01); udinese v parma and pordenone, sudtirol and triestina all at home that same weekend....

hey DiegoDiego - hope you're enjoying your Italian football odyssey (jealous as f**k here, btw...)

have you done Padova yet - seriously thinking of a post-christmas jaunt for the HV game when things start up after the winter break (18.01); udinese v parma and pordenone, sudtirol and triestina all at home that same weekend....

Nope, Italian public transport + out of town stadiums = a problem for me. I work on Saturday mornings and the usual Saturday pm Serie B kick offs don't really give me enough time to get out to Padova. Cittadella is prefect though.

I'm sat in Ferrara at the moment, awaiting tomorrow's SPAL vs Chievo match.

I have no idea what this nonsense DAZN have on during half time is.

Pordenone is quite easy for me to get to, Udinese has the out of town issue but I might make a weekend of Triestina some time.

If you do head over in January give us a shout.

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

That's Clapton FC. Clapton CFC are a breakaway team that only started this season... Here's the story

Short version is Clapton FC's owner has wanted to sell the Old Spotted Dog for a while but, for various reasons, can't. Whenever the fans tried to buy the club from the owner they were dicked around and, eventually, the owner banned loads of the fans from the stadium and kept bad mouthing them in the press/programme. Fans got sick of it and started their own club who play at one of the astro turf pitches at Wadham Lodge, Walthamstow. They've nicknamed their current ground the "Stray Dog" but it's basically Walthamstow FC's reserve pitch. 

Thanks Asim I didn’t know any of that. I think I saw their programme cover for today during the week with a female supporter on the cover. 

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 16:27, Rab B Nesbit said:

Really strange one and no programme either. At least it’s up here next year. Mind you it was it at the Oriam 3G last time! 

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 16:34, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

No programme, no cover, no toilets (unless you leave the ground) and no way it should host a final.

Suppose it could have been worse: as if Mid Annandale had beaten Bonnyton it would still have been there, giving them home advantage, and if Bo'ness had reached the final the crowd would have been much larger. I don't think the idea of hosting it close to one of the participants was a bad idea, but that's now impossible to guarantee with Bonnyton and all the new East teams - can't bank on a team from around Dumfries meeting someone from around Edinburgh and each having a few dozen fans.

Previous editions were Lochar v LTHV at Lockerbie on a Saturday afternoon in April 2017, and Tynecastle v Mids at Riccarton on a Sunday afternoon in November. Given the crowds and times of year those maybe weren't unreasonable, although there were grumbles about the lack of terracing at Riccarton (there are 3 stands now).

However when you've a Kilmarnock v Falkirk final playing in Dumfriesshire isn't great; when a good crowd a venue without terracing isn't; when a December date is chosen a ground without cover isn't. Saturday afternoon doesn't encourage neutrals either.

Ultimately there isn't an overall governing body, so responsibility for arrangements alternates between the South and East leagues. Disappointing if there was no programme.

Edited by HibeeJibee

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Suppose it could have been worse: as if Mid Annandale had beaten Bonnyton it would still have been there, giving them home advantage, and if Bo'ness had reached the final the crowd would have been much larger. I don't think the idea of hosting it close to one of the participants was a bad idea, but that's now impossible to guarantee with Bonnyton and all the new East teams - can't bank on a team from around Dumfries meeting someone from around Edinburgh and each having a few dozen fans.

Previous editions were Lochar v LTHV at Lockerbie on a Saturday afternoon in April 2017, and Tynecastle v Mids at Riccarton on a Sunday afternoon in November. Given the crowds and times of year those maybe weren't unreasonable, although there were grumbles about the lack of terracing at Riccarton (there are 3 stands now).

However when you've a Kilmarnock v Falkirk final playing in Dumfriesshire isn't great; when a good crowd a venue without terracing isn't; when a December date is chosen a ground without cover isn't. Saturday afternoon doesn't encourage neutrals either.

Ultimately there isn't an overall governing body, so responsibility for arrangements alternates between the South and East leagues. Disappointing if there was no programme.

See what next year throws up Hibee. Spoke to someone who was at the game yesterday and it sounds like Mids did a good job of hosting it with their new pie hut etc open. 

11 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

See what next year throws up Hibee. Spoke to someone who was at the game yesterday and it sounds like Mids did a good job of hosting it with their new pie hut etc open. 

.....and a twenty minute wait for the pies, all twenty of them :thumsup2

I have nothing against the club whatsoever, I am just questioning the use of their ground for a final with admission to the Scottish Cup at stake. The people were more than pleasant.

4 hours ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

.....and a twenty minute wait for the pies, all twenty of them :thumsup2

I have nothing against the club whatsoever, I am just questioning the use of their ground for a final with admission to the Scottish Cup at stake. The people were more than pleasant.

Oh man ! I know there’s probably a lack of options down there but surely they could have secured Galabank or Palmerston on the Sunday ? 

Looks a great old fashioned stadium.
It's easily the best stadium I've been to in Italy. It's the perfect size for the club and situated between the train station and centre of town. It's four perfectly balanced stands reminded me how many Scottish stadia were ruined by hastily erected oversized stands to meet the SPL criteria.