Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

In particular North Motherwell is one of the worst areas in the whole of Lanarkshire and some of the people on here would tell you that as well its basically bandit country

Correct. I worked in it about a decade ago. A truly horrific area. Some of the things I witnessed had to be seen to be believed. I'm guessing it hasn't improved much since I was there.

close the thread now -answer found

Methil and buckhaven the black hole of scotland- nothing escapes, nothing I tells ye !!

It gets a bad rap I think. There's not been a street fight killing since, well... earlier this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-30297591

Let's get this thread back on track. Keep heading towards Airdrie and you reach Greengairs. Getting a wee nit gentrified these days but the big "1690" as you drove into the village from the Airdrie end used to be a hint of what lay ahead and that it was definitely not part of the tourist trail.

It is in July.

Campbeltown is truly horrific. A quick wander through Tesco tells you all you need to know about the place. Not one single person in there even remotely resembles a human being.

The housing throughout the village resembles Castlemilk and the I'm sure the locals converse in some variation of biblical Hebrew. Pretty certain they also thrown pitchforks and spears at the sun when it rises in the morning.

Some beautiful houses on the right as you drive into the town, but it's physically and metaphorically all downhill from there on in. Avoid the place at all costs, and give the Tesco a wide berth.

Edited by Geronimo

Drongan, South Ayrshire.... especially during the 'walking' season...scary place. And they speak funny.

Ooft right on the money with this one. There's an atrocious yet hilarious thread in the amateur football sub forum which is basically devoted to games away at Drongan. The young team turn up and sing "We are the people" and a month ago the goalkeeper sprinted out his goals and leathered a fan.

I'd add Tarbolton which is my least favourite place on the planet. Whenever I've played a match there, the crowd at the sidelines spit on the visiting players.

I don't think you've been to Campbeltown.

Its a decent place, the local dialect is perfectly legible, its absolutely glorius down there in the summer, there is a car garage and industrial estate on the right as you drive into town and the Tesco is the same as any other.

They don't talk to each other, they just write wee notes?

It gets a bad rap I think. There's not been a street fight killing since, well... earlier this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-30297591

About time my hometown got a mention. I'm from Buckhaven, still not a patch on deepest darkest Methilhill. Still shit, nonetheless.

Gladly, I'm on the other side of the world and don't have to venture into complete dives such as 'Tam's Bar' anymore.

I don't think you've been to Campbeltown.

Its a decent place, the local dialect is perfectly legible, its absolutely glorius down there in the summer, there is a car garage and industrial estate on the right as you drive into town and the Tesco is the same as any other.

Our ship's crew were banned from going ashore there, the locals don't like the Navy

About time my hometown got a mention. I'm from Buckhaven, still not a patch on deepest darkest Methilhill. Still shit, nonetheless.

Folk claiming that the next suburb / estate along is a completely different village / town in an attempt to disown them is quite often the sign of a shitehole right enough. :P

post-13234-0-49683100-1418066663_thumb.j

FWIW, I once saw a family on holiday where the kid answered the shop owner's question "where are you from?" with "Abbeyview!". Not 'Scotland', not 'Dunfermline', but very clearly Abbeyview in a way which suggested that anyone who disagreed with him had a life expectancy of a few seconds. Folk from Lochee etc perhaps do something similar.

Heard lines like that loads.

In Caribbean a guy on the mic asked a 20 something girl (not bad btw) where she was from and she screamed Donny as if the whole resort would understand. Having spent time in Leeds I had a chuckle in between sips of the local paintstripper.

Broughty Ferry is brutal for this pish. It's a DD5 postcode :lol:

In East Lothian the Longniddry natives really think theyve made it in life because theyre 2 miles along the road from Port Seton which they think is horrible.

Edited by Billy Dynamite

In Caribbean a guy on the mic asked a 20 something girl (not bad btw) where she was from and she screamed Donny as if the whole resort would understand. Having spent time in Leeds I had a chuckle in between sips of the local paintstripper.

In East Lothian the Longniddry natives really think theyve made it in life because theyre 2 miles along the road from Port Seton which they think is horrible.

The West End in Glasgow used to just be classed as the areas more or less immediately adjacent to Byres Road (Hyndland/Dowanhill/Partickhill/Hillhead/Kelvinside) but it seems to have grown exponentially thanks to the efforts of optimistic estate agents and it has to be said some wish-fulfilment by punters living nowhere near those areas to the point where it seems to encompass the whole western half of the city.

I remember being in one of the boozers in Ashton Lane with a mate a few years ago when I lived around there when we ran into a guy he knew who had some pals in tow, one of whom was an utter up-himself bawsack who'd obviously thought he'd made it in life as he'd recently moved into what he thought was the West End and couldn't finish a sentence without reminding everyone of the fact.

Eventually, my mate asked him where it was he lived.

"Oh, you'd never have heard of it..."

"Bet I will have"

"It's very exclusive, but it's right in the heart of the West End - five minutes from Byres Rd"

"Aye, but what's it called?"

"Academy Park"

"That's in fuckin' KNIGHTSWOOD! Five minutes from here in what, an F-15?"

Our ship's crew were banned from going ashore there, the locals don't like the Navy

Slight tangent, but one of the most bizarre things I've seen was a random beach invasion up in Durness with a bunch of troops landing in their boats below the pub. Turns out it was the Dutch guys from the NATO lot (up there practicing bombing the shit of little islands) who had managed to get permission to come onshore for their big World Cup match.

Really good atmosphere for a change which sadly can't be said about the the British Bomb Disposal lot who turn up and think they own the place as if we should be incredibly grateful for their existence.

Edited by Hedgecutter

The West End in Glasgow used to just be classed as the areas more or less immediately adjacent to Byres Road (Hyndland/Dowanhill/Partickhill/Hillhead/Kelvinside) but it seems to have grown exponentially thanks to the efforts of optimistic estate agents and it has to be said some wish-fulfilment by punters living nowhere near those areas to the point where it seems to encompass the whole western half of the city.

I remember being in one of the boozers in Ashton Lane with a mate a few years ago when I lived around there when we ran into a guy he knew who had some pals in tow, one of whom was an utter up-himself bawsack who'd obviously thought he'd made it in life as he'd recently moved into what he thought was the West End and couldn't finish a sentence without reminding everyone of the fact.

Eventually, my mate asked him where it was he lived.

"Oh, you'd never have heard of it..."

"Bet I will have"

"It's very exclusive, but it's right in the heart of the West End - five minutes from Byres Rd"

"Aye, but what's it called?"

"Academy Park"

"That's in fuckin' KNIGHTSWOOD! Five minutes from here in what, an F-15?"

A girl at my work was exactly the same "oh I'm from the west end"

"Really where about ?"

"Drumchapel" !!!

:lol:

Similar to this, my dad frequently tells the story of being on some generic Spanish holiday many years ago where a wee laddie gets up on the stage to tell a joke, and upon being asked where he's from, replies "The Whifflet". Poor Spanish guy probably didn't have a clue what language he was speaking.

Kirkmuirhill, South Lanarkshire will trump all, a sh*thole of mammoth proportions. Like Drongan in walking season, add a huge ned/dangerous idiot count per head of population, only a village,

And this little tale;

Did some work for a lady who was adamant her address was Blackwood, which is next door to Khill, unfortunately for her, she was directly across the road from Kirkmuirhill Church.

Forth, Muirkirk, Rigside and Tarbolton all deserve a mention though,

Folk claiming that the next suburb / estate along is a completely different village / town in an attempt to disown them is quite often the sign of a shitehole right enough. :P

attachicon.gif1.jpg

FWIW, I once saw a family on holiday where the kid answered the shop owner's question "where are you from?" with "Abbeyview!". Not 'Scotland', not 'Dunfermline', but very clearly Abbeyview in a way which suggested that anyone who disagreed with him had a life expectancy of a few seconds. Folk from Lochee etc perhaps do something similar.

I'm technically from East Wemyss, so I'm really a snob.

Forth, Muirkirk, Rigside and Tarbolton all deserve a mention though,

Rigside is still my #1 vote despite never going there. A virtual Streetview trip is enough.

I'm technically from East Wemyss, so I'm really a snob.

^^^ cave dweller imo. The posh sheltered one beneath the castle if I had to guess.

Edited by Hedgecutter