Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

What's the point of Ayr? Does anyone know? I was there about 6 months ago and there is literally nothing there. Literally.

I often think that about a lot of places. They just seem to have always existed for the sake of existing and if the place fell into the ground overnight then it wouldn't make the slightest difference to the world. Might affect a grieving auntie living somewhere else mind.

At least the shitey mining hellholes once existed to produce the coal which in turn drove the age of heavy industry etc etc.

Oh dear,

East Kilbride - soulless.

Greenock - Hopeless and soapless.

Incidentally, Greenock is also home to the largest Celtic suporters club in the world as well as an Orange Lodge. East Kilbride contain neither, making a mockery of your Old Firm fans claim.

Hard one for you to take, mate.

Every town in Scotland is rammed with bigots and gloryhunting OF fans: this doesn't prevent Morton from being a major presence in the Inverclyde community, as well as having a substantial presence in schools, the local media, local pubs where Morton colours are allowed while bigot colours are barred, etc. The fact that there are many of life's loser slithering up the road to watch either club only makes pumping the scum on their own midden, ala Celtic last season, all the more sweeter.

On the other hand, absolutely no-one cares about any of the diddy teams in East Kilbride: apart from the handful of fans following each of them. If you think that EK has neither an orange lodge or Celtic supporters' clubs then you;re seriously deluded. It is, after all, a staunch outpost for the Glasgow's old scheme goblins: and they are the only two clubs of significance in your town.

Doubt getting either EK FC or an even more tragic outfit in Clyde as a senior league team will actually change this tbh. New towns are just crap in all honesty.

What's the point of Ayr? Does anyone know? I was there about 6 months ago and there is literally nothing there. Literally.

It's far from the worst town in Scotland, not even close.There aren't many towns that have an obvious economic or industrial link any more though.

Every town in Scotland is rammed with bigots and gloryhunting OF fans: this doesn't prevent Morton from being a major presence in the Inverclyde community, as well as having a substantial presence in schools, the local media, local pubs where Morton colours are allowed while bigot colours are barred, etc. The fact that there are many of life's loser slithering up the road to watch either club only makes pumping the scum on their own midden, ala Celtic last season, all the more sweeter.

On the other hand, absolutely no-one cares about any of the diddy teams in East Kilbride: apart from the handful of fans following each of them. If you think that EK has neither an orange lodge or Celtic supporters' clubs then you;re seriously deluded. It is, after all, a staunch outpost for the Glasgow's old scheme goblins: and they are the only two clubs of significance in your town.

Doubt getting either EK FC or an even more tragic outfit in Clyde as a senior league team will actually change this tbh. New towns are just crap in all honesty.

It's far from the worst town in Scotland, not even close.There aren't many towns that have an obvious economic or industrial link any more though.

Fair enough.

On the other hand, absolutely no-one cares about any of the diddy teams in East Kilbride: apart from the handful of fans following each of them. If you think that EK has neither an orange lodge or Celtic supporters' clubs then you;re seriously deluded.

Wrong. There's a Motherwell, Hearts, Thistle and don't laugh - Clyde bus that all leave from the town. I'm not seriously deluded. There is no Orange Lodge in East Kilbride. That is a fact. There are two measly Celtic supporters buses which is remarkable given we're only around 7 miles from their cesspit of a ground and we have a population of 70 odd thousand.

There is no Orange Lodge in East Kilbride. That is a fact.

I guess this Guardian piece on Orange bigots going to the failed statelet must have simply misheard their location:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/jul/12/northernireland.audreygillan

Some are in flute or accordion bands, some in the Orange Order, and others are just there for the ride, watching from the sidelines and sometimes causing trouble.
On the train, the worthy master of a small lodge from the East Kilbride area of Glasgow says: "It is just like a wee holiday for us, it's like going to Mecca". He parades in Ulster because of his religious beliefs, and because when he hears that band strike up he gets an adrenalin rush right through him.

Even were that report mistaken, which seems unlikely, an extremely brief trawl through the sewer muck that just rose to the top of a Google search includes Youtube footage of the 'East Kilbride Covenanters Flute Band', and a rather interesting public procession granted permission and presumably held in East Kilbride, by the, err, 'Apprentice Boys of Derry East Kilbride No Surrender Branch Club'* in May of this year:

https://www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk/directory_record/106061/apprentice_boys_of_derry_east_kilbride_no_surrender_branch_club_0212014

Tl;Dr - I'm not saying that East Kilbride or the likes are in any way unique in having bigots stinking out their town, but the idea that the LOL is the benchmark of knuckle-dragging sectarianism in an area is simply wrong. All of the new towns have the exact same problems as any other Central Belt provincial town, but without the natural superiority that comes with having a local team, or anywhere near the same level of non-bigoted community engagement that comes with this.

Wrong. There's a Motherwell, Hearts, Thistle and don't laugh - Clyde bus that all leave from the town. I'm not seriously deluded.

A bus leaving a town of 70,000 people each week reads as 'handful'. On the other hand there will be thousands of bigots seeping out from the town to watch either of life's losers, and tens of thousands of armchair bigots who don't bother at all.

*Also known as the 'Word Salad Branch'.

Edited by vikingTON

I was brought up in Old Drumchapel, and it's a strange wee place - it used to be a village in the countryside until it was built all around in the 40s and 50s, and it still retains a lot of village characteristics. Lot of curtain twitching goes on there, and a lot of the punters blithely carry on in splendid isolation trying to ignore he fact there's some pretty mental places spitting distance away.

That's exactly how my Papa describes it. He moved up from Bristol during the war and lived in Old Drumchapel until the 70s when he moved to Bearsden and Milngavie. Then once my aunties and Dad had left home he moved back to just around the corner from where he used to live in Old Drumchapel. He still complains about the bad reputation that the deserts wi' windaes of the 70s gave the village that he loved which is a bit of shame, and he always answers "Old Drumchapel" if he's asked where he lives!

Curtain twitching would describe exactly how he and his neighbours seem to spend their time!

That's exactly how my Papa describes it. He moved up from Bristol during the war and lived in Old Drumchapel until the 70s when he moved to Bearsden and Milngavie. Then once my aunties and Dad had left home he moved back to just around the corner from where he used to live in Old Drumchapel. He still complains about the bad reputation that the deserts wi' windaes of the 70s gave the village that he loved which is a bit of shame, and he always answers "Old Drumchapel" if he's asked where he lives!

Curtain twitching would describe exactly how he and his neighbours seem to spend their time!

I moved away about 1994, but I probably knew him. It's that kind of place - about seven streets trying to pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist.

Anyone ever been to Slamannan, just south of Falkirk?

Oh my! :unsure:

Let's get this thread back on track. Keep heading towards Airdrie and you reach Greengairs. Getting a wee nit gentrified these days but the big "1690" as you drove into the village from the Airdrie end used to be a hint of what lay ahead and that it was definitely not part of the tourist trail.

MOTHERWELL-The ghost town of Lanarkshire.Maggie Thatcher shut down the Ravenscraig Plant and the town has been in decline ever since.It's a complete dive with probably the worst shopping centre in Scotland.

What a dump!!!

even though I live in the place I have to agree with you our town is an absolute disgrace . In particular North Motherwell is one of the worst areas in the whole of Lanarkshire and some of the people on here would tell you that as well its basically bandit country