Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

Size matters, on that basis the average favella is better than EK?

And when you bring up something I had not mentioned a blind man galloping by on a fast horse knows you're losing the debate.

Aye because there's no junkies or shit housing in EK.

We don't have any proper shitholes in East Kilbride, that's the point.

I made the point about the roundabouts as it's one of the first (only) things people tend to criticise EK for. What makes it so laughable that somone from EK can slate Greenock?

For a town with a population of 70k or so, there is a remarkable lack of them compared to the surrounding towns like Hamilton and Paisley. Shit housing doesn't really exist either I'm afraid.

Having worked in East Kilbride for longer than I would like - and having been to Irvine, Glenrothes, Livingston and most of all, Cumbernauld... I can safely say that while East Kilbride is no utopia, it's a lot better than a lot of the Scottish hellholes.

Arbroath's okay. The town centre has some very 'special' people in it though.

Like everywhere else, Gnasher is my favourite, big skinny boy that goes about Taps aff with a banjo.

The town centres a shitehole but there's not much they can do, Dundees to easy/quick to get to and has far to much choice. Aberdeen only 40 minutes on the train too.

I like Arbroath but I'll be moving to Dundee while I'm young and then into the Ferry/Monifieth afterwards. Not enough here for a town of 25k.

Not ONE mention for bonnie Arbroath... What a place eh.. ;) ( first chance I've had to post the photos I've collected of the place :lol: )

Good snaps, Lichtie, Arbroath is a bonnie place and its declaration of 1320 is right up there with Magna Carta.

Nae pics of The Grassy Knoll though?

Basically went on a pub crawl last time I was up in Arbroath last season, watched ten minutes of the game and fucked off to continue the pub crawl lol

don't know if it's been mentioned yet but drumchapel town centre. total dive of a place.

I spent most of my childhood at my Granny & Papas in Old Drumchapel (he always reminds anyone he meets that it's Old, the nice bit)

Anyone one day a few years ago (maybe about 2002/03) we ventured to the shopping centre for something to do. We got out the car and walked up towards it. As we approached a guy who was out his face starting shouting at us. We took one look ahead of us: Somerfield, a job centre, a bookies and a chippy. Was it really worth risking our lives for? We got back in the car.

As he pulled away however someone had stuck a milk bottle under the wheel (we had been parked for under 5 minutes) and so there was a massive explosion of milk all over the side of his car.

He's lived lived in the Drum for 24 years and that remains his only visit to the shopping centre.

Absolutely, I'm sure it's no consolation if you're living in a dreadful area, while of course some of most deprived parts of Greenock are those with no view. Still though, taking the town as a whole it is a plus point that similar West of Scotland post-industrial wastelands don't have. Doesn't mean parts of Greenock aren't in a terrible state, but it's still a good thing.

Agreed on the large towns. Obviously some areas of larger towns can be among the worst in the country, but if they're big enough to have nice areas too as Stirling, Paisley and the likes do, they can't be worse than towns that are completely fucking awful and have no redeeming features.

Edit: Cracking picture Slenderman. The thing I really miss about living in Gourock is the view at sunset.

Missing having a nice pint outside the Spinnaker in summer?

The best bit about Arbroath is the caves. Not just the walk in ones, but the 'swim in at low tide & look at all the crazy shit' ones.

post-13234-0-73444000-1416867255_thumb.j

Some really weird flowstone / stalactite formations and stuff in there... (stuck in spoiler to save space)

post-13234-0-33127000-1416866696_thumb.j

post-13234-0-31718600-1416866721_thumb.j

post-13234-0-42456000-1416866741_thumb.j

Eta: Where else can you wander through a field and almost fall down this in the middle of it? (me in blue for scale)

post-13234-0-76876700-1416867091_thumb.j

Edited by Hedgecutter

I spent most of my childhood at my Granny & Papas in Old Drumchapel (he always reminds anyone he meets that it's Old, the nice bit)

Anyone one day a few years ago (maybe about 2002/03) we ventured to the shopping centre for something to do. We got out the car and walked up towards it. As we approached a guy who was out his face starting shouting at us. We took one look ahead of us: Somerfield, a job centre, a bookies and a chippy. Was it really worth risking our lives for? We got back in the car.

As he pulled away however someone had stuck a milk bottle under the wheel (we had been parked for under 5 minutes) and so there was a massive explosion of milk all over the side of his car.

He's lived lived in the Drum for 24 years and that remains his only visit to the shopping centre.

I was brought up in Old Drumchapel, and it's a strange wee place - it used to be a village in the countryside until it was built all around in the 40s and 50s, and it still retains a lot of village characteristics. Lot of curtain twitching goes on there, and a lot of the punters blithely carry on in splendid isolation trying to ignore he fact there's some pretty mental places spitting distance away.

Just avoid most of Fife apart from the East Neuk, Falkland and maybe the odd Abbey or walk like the Lomond hills or Tentsmuir Forrest.

The main towns aren't that bad really, just that there's not much to see apart from Dunfermline Abbey if you're into historical stuff.

The coastal path from Elie right up to Crail in the summer is well worth doing too.

The best bit about Arbroath is the caves. Not just the walk in ones, but the 'swim in at low tide & look at all the crazy shit' ones.

attachicon.gifIMG_5879.JPG

Some really weird flowstone / stalactite formations and stuff in there... (stuck in spoiler to save space)

Eta: Where else can you wander through a field and almost fall down this in the middle of it? (me in blue for scale)

attachicon.gifP1080025.JPG

Photos are belters. Some crazy b*****ds on youtube had a video of them jumping off cliffs that height...

The Cliffs really are superb.

Basically went on a pub crawl last time I was up in Arbroath last season, watched ten minutes of the game and fucked off to continue the pub crawl lol

Would've came across a few dodgy ones I imagine! :lol:

St Tams is where I'd usually head personally. Newgates decent and Fishermans is rough as guts but full of characters... :lol: They'd be my top 3.

Spoons/Coast/Townhose etc all far too restaraunty and no proper pubs. ;)

Glasgow is an utter toilet, the only people who dont think so are those who have never broadened their horizons and actually bothered to get off their obese weegie arse and go and live elsewhere.

I was born in Glasgow and lived there for the first 21 years of my life but I moved away nearly 3 years ago. I still think it's a brilliant place and there's no chance I'd ever choose to live anywhere else in Scotland.

All of the new towns are horrid, grim, soulless commuter hovels. I couldn't imagine actually choosing to live in such a town, regardless of how many people choose to live in a bin like EK.

It goes without saying of course that any town that doesn't have its own senior football team (either Junior roasters or a cyst of Old Firm bigots) falls straight to the bottom of the pack.