Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

Anywhere large enough to support an SPFL team is unlikely to be homogenous enough to fit simplistic definitions of "good" or "bad" - Paisley contains both Ralston and Feegie for example, Greenock has Fort Matilda and Larkfield.

For the same reason, it's also pointless naming cities as being the worst as they're a patchwork of wildly different areas - try telling the punters in the £1.5m houses in Hyndland and Jordanhill they're living in a dump...

The real worst places for my money are the villages and towns which have been drained of all resource and ambition - a lot of the former heavy industrial areas for example, where hopeless unemployment is the norm. There's nothing more depressing than one of those wee main streets where the only things not boarded up are a Spar, a bookies' and a couple of jakey-looking pubs.

Would've came across a few dodgy ones I imagine! :lol:

St Tams is where I'd usually head personally. Newgates decent and Fishermans is rough as guts but full of characters... :lol: They'd be my top 3.

Spoons/Coast/Townhose etc all far too restaraunty and no proper pubs. ;)

1320Lichtie: can you answer a question for me?

I used to drive through Arbroath every day and went past a place called 'Pie Boabs'. Is it as amazing as the rumours I've heard? I always wanted to go but never did for some reason.

We don't have any proper shitholes in East Kilbride, that's the point.

I made the point about the roundabouts as it's one of the first (only) things people tend to criticise EK for. What makes it so laughable that somone from EK can slate Greenock?

For a town with a population of 70k or so, there is a remarkable lack of them compared to the surrounding towns like Hamilton and Paisley. Shit housing doesn't really exist either I'm afraid.

Have a wee walk round the bus station any time of day in EK. FFS, a bigger collection of lost souls and downright half wits would be pretty hard to beat.

Would've came across a few dodgy ones I imagine! :lol:

St Tams is where I'd usually head personally. Newgates decent and Fishermans is rough as guts but full of characters... :lol: They'd be my top 3.

Spoons/Coast/Townhose etc all far too restaraunty and no proper pubs. ;)

started off at one in the high street with a pool table and loads of pictures of the punters obviously on various different Scotland trips, then a wee quiet one like an old mans pub right down next to the shore and then the one across from the ground. there might have been another one although a cant quite remember, anyway got into game watched rangers hopelessley punt the ball up the pitch for ten minutes and decided to do the same route backwards :lol:

1320Lichtie: can you answer a question for me?

I used to drive through Arbroath every day and went past a place called 'Pie Boabs'. Is it as amazing as the rumours I've heard? I always wanted to go but never did for some reason.

On Montrose Road, and I dunno really, it's not thatttttt good, open 24 hours and gets most of it's business on the Friday and Saturday nights after the dancing shuts, so maybe people's views are a bit influenced by being blootered :lol:

It's aryt like, but Clarkes in Dundee is better IMO.

If you want to get grub in Arbroath you've gotta go for a chippy. Some belters. ;)

started off at one in the high street with a pool table and loads of pictures of the punters obviously on various different Scotland trips, then a wee quiet one like an old mans pub right down next to the shore and then the one across from the ground. there might have been another one although a cant quite remember, anyway got into game watched rangers hopelessley punt the ball up the pitch for ten minutes and decided to do the same route backwards :lol:

Sounds like the first one was the Fishys, the one I said, dodgy as f**k but lot of good lads drink in there. Pool table up the back aye? Second one is the Foundry, it's the kind of pub your great granny or grandad would drink in I've been in it twice, right funny wee place it's like a care homes livingroom :lol:

Last one is obviously Tutties, packed on match days but during the week it's more of a restaraunt, does great meals and the owners superb.

Next time you're in Arbroath mix it up a bit haha what game was that you were here for? The 4-0 in the cup a few year back or the 3-0/2-1 in the league last season?

Sounds like the first one was the Fishys, the one I said, dodgy as f**k but lot of good lads drink in there. Pool table up the back aye? Second one is the Foundry, it's the kind of pub your great granny or grandad would drink in I've been in it twice, right funny wee place it's like a care homes livingroom :lol:

Last one is obviously Tutties, packed on match days but during the week it's more of a restaraunt, does great meals and the owners superb.

Next time you're in Arbroath mix it up a bit haha what game was that you were here for? The 4-0 in the cup a few year back or the 3-0/2-1 in the league last season?

was there for all 3 mate , first two however the bus just parked in the car park before the game and we just went to the one across from the stadium you were talking about, last trip the 2-1 game we ended up making more a day of it and arriving a few hours before kick off and trawling the pubs .

infact just had a look at Arbroath on google maps and tried to recollect my steps from that day :lol: , I did miss out one just down form the fisherman one you were talking off, it was a right wee tiny red one called the commercial according to google maps ,was tiny and the barman told us he was a celtic man :lol:

The real worst places for my money are the villages and towns which have been drained of all resource and ambition - a lot of the former heavy industrial areas for example, where hopeless unemployment is the norm. There's nothing more depressing than one of those wee main streets where the only things not boarded up are a Spar, a bookies' and a couple of jakey-looking pubs.

You've just described Salsburgh....except I dont even think they have a bookie up there.

Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, West Lothian and Fife are absolutely riddled with these type of hell-holes

Carnwath, Forth, Rigside, Kirkmuirhill, Douglas Water, Muirkirk, Glespin, New Cumnock, Fauldhouse, Harthill, addiewell, Blackburn, Kelty to name just a few.

Anybody that has mentioned the likes of Greenock, EK, Motherwell, Bellshill, Irvine, Livingston, Kirkcaldy, or even Cumbernauld (for all their faults), has never passed through (because there is next to no reason to stop) any of these soul-less places. Grim doesnt cover it....

You've just described Salsburgh....except I dont even think they have a bookie up there.

Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, West Lothian and Fife are absolutely riddled with these type of hell-holes

Carnwath, Forth, Rigside, Kirkmuirhill, Douglas Water, Muirkirk, Glespin, New Cumnock, Fauldhouse, Harthill, addiewell, Blackburn, Kelty to name just a few.

Anybody that has mentioned the likes of Greenock, EK, Motherwell, Bellshill, Irvine, Livingston, Kirkcaldy, or even Cumbernauld (for all their faults), has never passed through (because there is next to no reason to stop) any of these soul-less places. Grim doesnt cover it....

Have a wee walk round the bus station any time of day in EK. FFS, a bigger collection of lost souls and downright half wits would be pretty hard to beat.

Of course the bus station is a dive. Train stations and bus stations tend to attract all sorts deadbeats and that's a theme that's repeated throughout the world. Hardly representative of the whole town.

All of the new towns are horrid, grim, soulless commuter hovels. I couldn't imagine actually choosing to live in such a town, regardless of how many people choose to live in a bin like EK.

It goes without saying of course that any town that doesn't have its own senior football team (either Junior roasters or a cyst of Old Firm bigots) falls straight to the bottom of the pack.

Oh dear,

East Kilbride - soulless.

Greenock - Hopeless and soapless.

Incidentally, Greenock is also home to the largest Celtic suporters club in the world as well as an Orange Lodge. East Kilbride contain neither, making a mockery of your Old Firm fans claim.

Hard one for you to take, mate.

Forth has to be the pick of the bunch in the villages you mention. Aside from it being deprived, cut off from civilisation and freezing, there's something really eerie about the place,

Of course the bus station is a dive. Train stations and bus stations tend to attract all sorts deadbeats and that's a theme that's repeated throughout the world. Hardly representative of the whole town.

Oh dear,

East Kilbride - soulless.

Greenock - Hopeless and soapless.

Incidentally, Greenock is also home to the largest Celtic suporters club in the world as well as an Orange Lodge. East Kilbride contain neither, making a mockery of your Old Firm fans claim.

Hard one for you to take, mate.

What's a suporter?

I have chums in EK, they get supporters' (sic) buses to the Estadio de Patatas and drink and dine before the game in a local restaurant.

There are in fact two Celtic supporters' clubs in EK, Numbers 37, East Kilbride village and 400 East Kilbride Paul Abrams CSC.

The DOB's seem to have a presence too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/furious_andrew/5065784086/

Two swings and two misses.

Oops.

Having worked in East Kilbride for longer than I would like - and having been to Irvine, Glenrothes, Livingston and most of all, Cumbernauld... I can safely say that while East Kilbride is no utopia, it's a lot better than a lot of the Scottish hellholes.

Would not argue with that.