Scots Independence Referendum

Guest RTB

Scots Independence  

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yip, I want independence for more than just economic issues. However, I don't think we will get the change that we both agree is needed within the Union. As I said earlier though, I wouldn't be so opposed to remaining in the Union if the unionists had more forward looking folk like yourself who were actually willing to engage in a bit of forward planning and positive action!

Sadly, the 'unionists' who get air time are in fact brain dead simpletons who belive in the Monarchy, removal from Europe and kicking the pakis out. <_<

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again, you fail at basic literacy. Perhaps I should give you the help you so desperately need.

Please do.

Tell me whether Arbroath will contribute the same amount per capita to the Scottish economy as Edinburgh after Independence.

Are you seriously suggesting there is an economic program possible which will equate the generated income from Abroath with Edinburgh?

If not, then clearly the Arbroathians will be suckling from the Edinburgh teat.

I'm not getting into your argument :angel . The man's always seemed reasonable (although pedantic) to me.

Strangely enough, I am not pedantic. Merely incredibly stubborn and utterly convinced I am always right :D

I agree. I want to see barriers come down, not new ones created. This is an argument we have rehashed a number of times though. Ultimately I don't agree with an increase in borders globally unless it is to protect an indigenous population, or to provide with secession rights a people being marginalised within a larger whole.

I don't think an independent Scotland would create a barrier. We would still be members of the wider European Community and travelling from Scotland to England would be no different to going between Belgium and Holland.

I think emerging micro-nations are a good thing. I would rather we retained individual elements of culture and tradition then edge towards some sort of globalised super-state.

Those voting FOR, need to put their kilts away and get their brains out.

Dear, oh dear.

Are you advocating those for independence should become brain donors like yourself?

How many kilts do you see on the streets of Thornton?

Actually, by the time you reach advanced higher, there's a lot of independent reading. For instance, we are advised that Barrow, Bingham, Watson and Penman have good chapters on a relevent subject, but there's a wealth of books available from many other authors should we wish to read their views.

It's great.

thats good stuff!!!

also try and read the earl of guinsburgh(english) personal dairies about various battles

I'm still intrigued as to how Arbroath is going to contribute as much to the Scottish economy as Edinburgh does per capita.

Whereas I find it utterly predictable that you have selective blindness when it comes to reading certain posts.

Whereas I find it utterly predictable that you have selective blindness when it comes to reading certain posts.

Mmm,

So in this new country, how are you going to ensure that some parts do not contribute more to the economy than other parts?

It's a simple question you are avoiding.

The reason you are avoiding it is because the answer is that there will always be certain areas of every coiuntry that are economically stronger than others by virtue of their population concentration, geographical location and type of employment.

Therefore in "New Scotland" Edinburgh will subsidise Arbroath, in the same way that some areas of the UK currently subsidise others. This is fact, and it isn't a problem. It is the same situation in Italy, France, Germany etc.

Answered it already.

No you haven't.

You blethered about trying to increase investment in less attractive areas. This already happens at both a UK and EU level. It makes little to no difference. No matter what you do, large investment will never be made by companies in small population rural areas. Makes zero economic sense.

It will still leave the situation where the financial centre of the country will support the rural hinterlands.

What are you going to do about Arbroath suckling on the Edinburgher tit?

Answered it already, see post #314.

Erm, what you have said is "while I accept that people will always have to subsidise each other to an extent, I believe that we should be doing our best to stop this being the case".

Which basically means "Arbroathians will be suckling on the Edinburgher tit, but we will feel bad about it".

As I said, wishing something wasn't a fact doesn't stop it being a fact. And it is a fact that not all areas are created equal and never will be. As I said, no matter how much investment you make into fishing villages and sheep land, multinational companies simply won't locate themselves there in number.

In Canada for example Quebec contains a lot of the country's wealth, which was a huge concern for the country as a whole during their secession vote, which ultimately failed.

What you are saying in essence is that it isn't acceptable for a region of the UK to contribute less than anotehr region of the UK to the pot as a whole, but it will be acceptable (though you will feel bad about it) for a region of Scotland to contribute less to the Scottish economy than another region of Scotland.

Brilliant logic.

You asked (and then claimed I never answered):

Are you seriously suggesting there is an economic program possible which will equate the generated income from Abroath with Edinburgh?

Eventually, after much prompting, you managed to read the answer, and responded with:

Erm, what you have said is "while I accept that people will always have to subsidise each other to an extent, I believe that we should be doing our best to stop this being the case".

So yes, I consider your leading question answered, and answered some time ago.

What you are saying in essence is that it isn't acceptable for a region of the UK to contribute less than anotehr region of the UK to the pot as a whole, but it will be acceptable (though you will feel bad about it) for a region of Scotland to contribute less to the Scottish economy than another region of Scotland.

Brilliant logic.

However, given your predictable post (although I did estimate you might give me slightly more than a minute and a half before you waded in again, so well done there), I shall help you out once more.

To repeat myself (again), sometimes we can't always be self sufficient, however we should never be happy with dependence and should always make an effort to improve ourselves. Do you disagree with this?

Archived