Snooker

RedWeb

The most irritating commentator is Dennis Taylor when Ding is playing. Its sickening at times how much Taylor gets turned on. :barf However im getting fed up with the amount of times they say "absolutely perfect". Get a thesaurus and come up with new phrases for the matches.

As for the semi-finals its been really scrappy snooker so far with no player breaking free and compiling a few big breaks in a row. Every player has struggled, not sure if its just down to the new cloths on the table but the balls have run awkward at times.

Disappointing to see Carter has went down the 'take no risks whatsoever' route and plays safe at every opportunity, far better player when he is going for his shots. Its one thing having good match play but not to the extent of waiting for the ball to be over the pocket before even considering a pot. No surprise tho when you learn that Ebdon has been added to his corner. Soon his shot rate will be at 30 seconds, each frame will last 80 minutes, and Carter will keep playing on even when he needs 18 snookers to tie.

I don't like Carter. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about him which irritates me. "The Captain" is a really wanky nickname too. You could see the Ebdon influence in his shitfest snooker earlier, but it worked to some extent because Maguire started losing the rag and smashing into them. If he keeps playing that way, I expect Maguire to beat him though.

The Captain has to be the worst possible nickname for any sports player ever. You can tell whoever was to think of a suitable name for him couldnt be arsed to spend any time over it, remembered he has a pilots license, scribbled it down, then went off for a drink, probably laughing with his mates over such a pish name.

Interestingly the bbc commentators are also getting annoyed at his tactics, "he's playing safe" becoming the new "absolutely perfect". It takes a lot for John Virgo and Willie Thorn to start throwing in narky comments, normally they commend everyone for everything. No idea how many pots Carter has turned down which most professional snooker players would have went for. Even Fergal O'Brien, who is slower than Ebdon and very cautious, would have taken on some of the pots. If Maguire can keep his patience then he should go on to win, however if possible Carter is going to ensure each and every frame is down to the colours.dry.gif

5-5 and we will probably be here till Christmas.-_-

Carter leads 14-10 against Maguire ahead of the final session this afternoon. If O'Sullivan clicks this morning the way he did yesterday then he could wrap it up against Stevens with a session to spare.

I far prefer Maguire's style of play so disappointed it didn't happen for him today. I'm unsure about Carter, but I hope he can keep it close enough for us to get a meaningful fourth session on Monday night. The way O'Sullivan's been playing it could be a roasting.

I hope Ronnie thrashes Carter 18-0 for having become a boring git. The shot where he came of the back cushion and rested into the back of the reds instead of the normal safety shot, coming off the side and back to baulk, sums up his style of play.

Ronnie has, once again, stated he might retire after this tournament due to being in a more settled place and the amount of time he is away from his kids due to the larger snooker season (he missed 11 tournaments this year).. Another route might be a 2 year break. He would be heavily missed but he needs to decide to either commit for another 2/3 years or go, its getting boring.

I don't agree Ali's boring. Ebdon is, yes. Carter has always been an attacking player, if he wants to improve his safety play a bit I don't see the harm. I saw Ronnie turn down one or two pots he would definitely have gone for years ago.

I'm not sure about "the Captain" nickname but I don't reckon they get much say over the nicknames anyway. Have heard Ronnie before moaning (just for a change) that he hates his nickname.

The shittest nickname is Anthony "the Robin Hood of snooker" Hamilton.

Does he rob from the rich and give to the poor? No.

Is he a master of the bow and arrow? No, he's quite good with a snooker cue though. Especially in and around the black spot.

Does he lead a band of Merry Men? No.

Is he always performing daring raids against the local sheriff and a tyrant monarch? No again.

Is he an outlaw on the run from the powers that be? Still no, I'm afraid.

Is he engaged in an affair with Maid Marion? No, sorry.

Is he from Nottingham? YES! And... that's it.

Let's all hear it for Stephen "the Rob Roy of snooker" Maguire, Neil "the Ned Kelly of snooker" Robertson and Ali "the Steve Davis of snooker" Carter.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

No problem with players improving their safety - an integral part of the game, if you have a poor safety game then you wont win anything.

No problem with match play snooker - its how you will compete with the big guns, progress thru competitions and win.

However becoming a boring player and turning down very makeable shots and playing negatively is bollocks. When the bbc commentators step away from the love-in they have going on with every player and start having a moan then you know there is a problem.

If Carter wins then he will be rightly lauded for his success yet remembered alongside Ebdon (who has joined his camp) as being excruciating to watch.

I don't like Ally Carter, so I stuck the last £9.37 in my Betfair account on him to win.

I'm set to win a tasty £38.38 if he wins, so COME ON CAPTAIN!

Re: nicknames. I always thought that Anthony Hamilton's nickname was the Sheriff of Pottingham.

I hope Ronnie ruins that boring twat Ali Carter.

Same here. I don't like either of them but now that Carter is channelling the spirit of Ebdon to turn his games into shitfests I hope Ronnie shows him how to annihilate someone in a couple of hours.

Another problem Carter may have is that Ronnie picked Ebdon off in the first round; playing good safety, waiting for opportunities, taking his chances, and happy to play the game as it progressed. Obviously Carter is a better player than Edbon and wont break down on 15 but that keep it tight approach may not work as well as it did against Maguire. At his best O'Sullivans safety play is as good as Higgins who is seen as being one of the best and is far better than Carter's.

2-0 O'Sullivan.

O'Sullivan in threatening to quit shocker, if you're going to quit then do it like Hendry - no fuss or dramas or endless attention seeking threats, just go.

I can't really take to Carter, I'm not really sure why but he's hard to like. The players were saying on some video thing about him the other day that he's a bit of a recluse (not that there's anything wrong with that) but you can kind of see that I think, he seems a bit distant and hard to take to.