Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran/Lebanon)

xbl

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Here is an article which explains why intervention by Arab/Muslim states is unlikely but also goes on to explain that the only short-term solution is pressure from Washington et al. Quite a surprising analysis considering CSIS's reputation as a pro-war think-tank.

https://www.csis.org/analysis/war-gaza-and-death-two-state-solution

Analysis of Arab states that doesn't take into account their acute vulnerability to public opinion is inherently flawed. A regime like Jordan may not have any political will to fight right now, but can quickly be backed into a corner by its own populace to do something. Egypt is always a powderkeg waiting to go off. There's also no guarantee that the Arab states' monopoly of force will hold. 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I'm surprised some Arab nations haven't declared war on Israel yet tbh.  My money's on Iran.

Yeah, I suspect that's unlikely.

Iran and Israel are effectively at war anyway via proxies. Israel is about the only country in the world which can attack Iran with impunity. The reason? The Ayatollah wants Israel erased from the face of the earth anyway. There isn't really anywhere else to escalate to.

33 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Persians? I've perhaps made a QI esque howler there.

They certainly used to unless they're Kurdish, Azeri or another ethnic minority. Not sure if anything's changed since the Islamic Revolution but they certainly don't call themselves Arabs.

Edited by welshbairn

I think they just call themselves Persians or Iranians. The latter is associated with the state that has emerged since the revolution so ex-pats hostile to said regime are more likely to call themselves Persian, I believe.

I think Iranian can also be used to describe anyone in the country regardless of ethnicity so you could have Iranian Kurds, Iranian Jews, Iranian Arabs, etc, but you couldn't have Persian Kurds, for instance.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Good to see Biden is keeping an open mind.

Joe Biden said that the hospital explosion in Gaza appears to have been caused “by the other team” as he spoke alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/10/18/joe-biden-lands-israel-visit-netanyahu-hamas-gaza-hospital/

Guest DannyBlue
2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Good to see Biden is keeping an open mind.

Joe Biden said that the hospital explosion in Gaza appears to have been caused “by the other team” as he spoke alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/10/18/joe-biden-lands-israel-visit-netanyahu-hamas-gaza-hospital/

"Other team" dear oh dear. It really is just a spectator sport to some isn't it?

I fucking hate “the west” it’s unreal how sycophantic they are to the Israeli government. 

For sure what Hamas did a week past Saturday was disgraceful, but the most militarised country on the globe indiscriminately bombing civilians with no urging of restraint from western powers is an absolute disgrace. 

Just now, Brother Blades said:

I fucking hate “the west” it’s unreal how sycophantic they are to the Israeli government. 

For sure what Hamas did a week past Saturday was disgraceful, but the most militarised country on the globe indiscriminately bombing civilians with no urging of restraint from western powers is an absolute disgrace. 

I was just thinking before I read your post, is there a single liberal western democracy where voters are offered a real choice of politicians who want to make changes for the better?  Maybe one of the Scandinavian countries?  I honestly don’t know.

Of course in Scotland we are denied that opportunity.

I know it's a lot of shite but, hearing the name Mahmoud Abbas always makes me think of what Nostradamus wrote about Mabas. 

Mabus will soon die, then will come,
A horrible undoing of people and animals,
At once one will see vengeance,
One hundred powers, thirst, famine, when the comet will pass.

The antichrist very soon annihilates the three,

twenty-seven years his war will last.
The unbelievers are dead, captive, exiled;
with blood, human bodies, water and red hail covering the earth.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

I know it's a lot of shite but, hearing the name Mahmoud Abbas always makes me think of what Nostradamus wrote about Mabas. 

Mabus will soon die, then will come,
A horrible undoing of people and animals,
At once one will see vengeance,
One hundred powers, thirst, famine, when the comet will pass.

The antichrist very soon annihilates the three,

twenty-seven years his war will last.
The unbelievers are dead, captive, exiled;
with blood, human bodies, water and red hail covering the earth.

I don’t think your attempt to lighten the mood will work.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

I don’t think your attempt to lighten the mood will work.

I'm not trying to lighten any mood, not at all. I find it abhorrent what is happening in Israel/Gaza. I was just saying what springs to mind when I hear his name. No witty quips at all. 

16 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Israel is a truly vile nation.

Maybe.

If it turns out they bombed that hospital then ...

I read somewhere that back in the forties ( maybe thirties ) their agents went to Arab villages and took their hospitality while gaining information about the population , etc for when they were to be driven out.

And if they were invited back the Palestinians were sometimes murdered

Not all Israelis are moderates

Just now, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Maybe.

If it turns out they bombed that hospital then ...

I read somewhere that back in the forties ( maybe thirties ) their agents went to Arab villages and took their hospitality while gaining information about the population , etc for when they were to be driven out.

And if they were invited back the Palestinians were sometimes murdered

Not all Israelis are moderates

Sounds very Massacre of Glen Coe.