P&B Ranks: The Top 42 Video Games of All-Time

Miguel Sanchez

I didn't enjoy the last of us 2. Fully expected Joel to die but the way it was done was shit. It was like Alien 3 all over again they must have known it would alienate a lot of the fans.

If they were going to go down that route then would have been better to introduce Abby as a character and let you get to know her before she kills Joel. Instead the first time you meet her as when she is battering Joel to death. Would have been much more conflicting for the player if you had built up an infinity with Abby before she killed him.

It was more fun playing as Abby but the gameplay hadn't really improved at all. I thought the game dragged on.

It was just a huge disappointment considering how well done the first game was.

IN 26TH PLACE, WITH 18 POINTS FROM 3 VOTES

CivIVboxshot.jpg

Game: Civilization IV
Platform: PC
Release date: 2005
Gameplay:

User comments: 

"As a history nerd, this was the best Civ as you could really build a scary ass army "

"could be any version of civ tbh but I probably played this the most"

I only ever played Civilisation 1 and could never figure out how everyone was so much more technologically advanced than me.

Played it again last year and still couldn't figure it out. I thought I was hot shit with chariots only to be bombed by a jet.

47 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I've got a 4 save going on right now, such a great game. If you've got the time to invest, it's worth it.

I was one of the folks who voted for 4.  Only complaint was those scary ass armies took forever to resolve turns.  Near the end of a game you needed infinity billion tanks or else someone else with infinity billion plus one tanks would come and destroy you lol

I voted for this. Civ has always been fucking excellent. For a while we got into LANning up and playing for hours and hours and hours in early 00s. Glorious stuff. 

Played them all the way from the first, and this and the championship manager games heavily influenced the fact that I've always been pc master race over consoles. 

IV was probably the last one I invested a huge amount of time in. The more recent iterations seem to have something missing that I just can't quite put my finger on. Also, special mention to Colonization (sic) which was basically civ in the new world. Many missing hours from my life due to that fucker too. 

I have Humankind Pre-ordered which is looking like a serious contender. It was due for release on the 22nd, but has been b*****ding put back till August. 

A semi-decent article on Civ on the US PCGamer site I stumbled on the other day:

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-civilization-7-could-reinvigorate-the-series/

Edited by madwullie

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

I've got a 4 save going on right now, such a great game. If you've got the time to invest, it's worth it.

I've always wanted to play one, but every review seems to say 5 is the best one?

I always preferred the Paradox games because they were more historically situated but Civ is class. Proper good pick up and play stuff. It's great they've managed to make VI work on the Switch and iPads with little issues as it's an ideal game to play on the go. 

1 minute ago, dysartrovers said:

I would say if you were trying for the first time then go 5

I've literally just bought 4 based on this thread, under £10 so worth a go.

I could never get into the original Civilization. However, Mega-Lo-Mania was excellent, and I still dig that out now and then.

I'd definitely be interested in a similar humorous Civ-lite style game made for modern machines.

My embarrassing gaming secret is that I've never gotten into Civ. I bought VI a few months back but never really found the time to play it.

Think I might redouble my efforts so my embarrassing gaming secret can be "I bought and played Cricket 19" instead.

Civ 4, beyond the sword is what I'm playing just now, as Romans.

~1250AD and I've just been pumping research into military stuff, so already done gunpowder and on the verge of modern air bombers etc., not had a single war yet so no idea how everyone else is doing.

It's got me hooked after just an hour or so last night, so aye, great game.

Edited by RandomGuy.

The Civ games are indeed brilliant but require a tremendous amount of time to properly play.

For a simpler version I'd really recommend both the Civilisation Revolution games.

Mass Effect 2 was my number 2 game.

It's just tremendous. The scale, the story, the interweaving and fleshed out character arcs throughout. Many games have tried to do this since (Outer Worlds being the most recent I've played) but no game has hooked me quite as much as ME2 to the point where I cared about the fate of everyone on the crew.

This game, for me is how you build a Universe and lore.