Pregnancy And Parenting

Wee chunk will be 3 weeks old on Sunday and she's feeding and farting for Scotland. She was back to her birth weight within a couple of days and has since put a pound on over that birth weight.

Her farts are fucking brilliant. I was in the kitchen the other night sterilising and heard this racket and I genuinely thought she had either wretched up or the moses basket had collapsed. I ran into the living room and say her with her cheeks puffed up and she let another one rip, which not only relaxed me but made me swell with pride. I only wish I could fart as loud and as long as her. She obviously takes after her mother.

She's an absolute stunner. So proud.

We weren't fussed either way, always had a feeling it was gonna be a boy, it's pretty much all boys in my family.

I was in the same boat with my last one, all boys and naturally expected another one. When the midwife at the scan said it was a girl I asked her to check again and got a second opinion from the student.

I'm not ashamed to say I shed a tear.

That's the terrible twos really kicked in. He'll be three in five months, but the tantrums have only started in earnest recently. Tears and snotters everywhere at bedtime last night. The joys. He's as good natured as they come most of the time, but when he doesn't fancy listening to you he becomes totally single minded and then kicks off if you insist he does what he's told. On the bright side, we took his dummies off him recently and he hasn't looked back since, no hassle at all. Potty training on-going, showing some progress. Just need to get him off the bottles of milk now, getting him to switch to a cup for his milk has been a fight, though he's happy with juice from a cup. He only gets a bottle of milk at bedtime, but his bedtime bottle is precious to him, so think we'll just need to do what we did with the dummies and insist they're gone and just ride through it as I know he'll not be chuffed at losing his pre-sleep bottle, even though he gave up the dummies without so much as a whimper.

Terrible twos have nothing on threenagers. Good luck with that!

Was about to post something similar. Both my nephews and my niece were great aged 2. But when they hit 3 that's when every minor thing seemed to turn into a tantrum.

Had the jags last week. She's been basically fine but really clingy.

I've also discovered nobody down here knows what jags are. Weird country.

They don't know that " jags" means teams with "Thistle" in their name? Some people!

Not really given an update on our wee one for a while yet. He's 4 and a half now and such a wee character. On March this year he was diagnosed with high functioning autism. It didn't come as a surprise as my wife and I had our suspicions from a very early age. Took about 2 years of assessments, meetings, referrals etc before getting the diagnosis. Not actually as stressful as some families have it during that process and overall it was a relatively straight forward diagnosis. He's well ahead in some areas and behind in others. Surprisingly the social side of things (which is normally a big issue for people with autism) is coming on really well since he started going to state nursery. His school are certain he'll cope fine in mainstream school and he already has a group of friends that he'll actively play and engage with and seem to like him. His main issue is his gross motor skills. Whilst kids his age can run, jump and fly up and down stairs without any issues our little guy is a bit lacking in confidence in that respect. He's very stiff with his movements and this was put down to ligament laxity. In the past he'd freak if we were going to the shops and if we deviated from any routine it would really unsettle him. These days though he's beginning to cope more and more with random change but there's still a few things that have to be a certain way to keep him reassured and calm (night time routine and giving him plenty notice of what we're going to do etc). Because we've parented him in a way where we felt he was autistic it's become second nature to us to the point where he's a piece of cake to parent. We've studied our arses off on autism and the various techniques needed which I think helped us enormously. I've no doubt the older he gets it might pose some difficulties but having the diagnosis certainly opens the doors to support networks as and when we need it. At the moment we don't really need any additional help and any health professionals involvement is on a 'as and when' we need it basis. I think having the diagnosis was a huge relief and weight off our shoulders. For a while we felt we were over analysing him to prepare us when going into the assessment meetings and having to naturally educate everyone on who he is and what his needs are whereas now we feel we can enjoy him for who he is. His main area of expertise is numbers and letters. He's working at the mental age of a 7 year old according to his Paediatrician and he blows our minds at times with what he can do. He's great fun, doesn't really like to play on his own (again being on their own is a fairly common autistic thing) so it's great to be able to play him all the time and see his imagination come on. He had literally zero imaginative play up until going to nursery, now he loves nothing more than letting his imagination run wild. He's now starting to play with toys properly rather than just sit and study how they work so getting wired into playing with figures has been great fun.