Pregnancy And Parenting

You ideas and attitudes evolve once you actually have your baby.

They certainly do! I've said with all three of mine that I'd not used dummies, and guess what? :lol:

I love seeing new parents saying what they will do and what they will never do. :D

Robert and Ashley both had dummies but they also both, at around two months old, just stopped using them of their own accord. They just decided to spit them out and go to sleep on their own, which was brilliant, but is also why I'm not sure what to do now. I think it will be a case of just toughing it out. Charlie's still got his newborn size dummies and they're getting far too small for him now and I'm refusing to buy him bigger ones, so I'm sure it will soon come to me just having to leave him and turn up the television or something :ph34r:

Speaking of dummies,I saw this woman at the bus stop take her babies dummy out of it's mouth and putting it right into her own mouth. I know she was struggling to get herself and the baby on the bus,but she could have asked for some help from others that where there. :yucky

Speaking of dummies,I saw this woman at the bus stop take her babies dummy out of it's mouth and putting it right into her own mouth. I know she was struggling to get herself and the baby on the bus,but she could have asked for some help from others that where there. :yucky

Even worse than that is the mothers who pick up a dummy that baby has dropped, put it in their mouth to "clean" it and then back in the baby's mouth. Clatty b*****ds!

I actually hate dummies, but I've ending up using them for the sake of my sanity. Charlie will be rid of his before much longer. There's no chance I'm going to be one of those mothers who has a toddler walking around with a dummy.

Even worse than that is the mothers who pick up a dummy that baby has dropped, put it in their mouth to "clean" it and then back in the baby's mouth. Clatty b*****ds!

I actually hate dummies, but I've ending up using them for the sake of my sanity. Charlie will be rid of his before much longer. There's no chance I'm going to be one of those mothers who has a toddler walking around with a dummy.

Yeah that's another disgusting thing that I hate. I don't like dummies either,with mine I gave her one,but she was having none of it and kept spitting it out. I also hate seeing mothers holding the dummies into the babies mouths until the fall asleep.

Yeah that's another disgusting thing that I hate. I don't like dummies either,with mine I gave her one,but she was having none of it and kept spitting it out. I also hate seeing mothers holding the dummies into the babies mouths until the fall asleep.

I can't settle when he's got a dummy in his mouth at all. Thankfully he doesn't have one at night anymore, but if I know he's got a dummy, I have to keep going and checking he's spat it out because I have this fear that the teat's going to break off and choke him. I also have to get up every 10 minutes or so and make sure he's still breathing. I expected to be a more relaxed parent this time around, but I'm more paranoid than ever!

I love seeing new parents saying what they will do and what they will never do. :D

Oh how true that is. The pre-birth theory is fantastic but, when junior pops out and your world turns upside down, that all goes oot the windae! :rolleyes: I remember when our first, Callum, came along, I'd cook our tea and Mrs Kilt would eat hers first and when she'd finished I'd have mine. Purely because if we tried to sit down to tea together it would be a certainty Kilt junior would wake up and want some attention - as if he knew exactly what we were up to and wanted be a part of it! :rolleyes:

Incidentally, he's 16 now, 6' 3'' and should be at the fives to kick lumps out of you all. He's big enough to look after himself - feel free to kick him right back! :D:lol:

And after 8 months they grow like mushrooms from a 4lb8 at smallest to a 19lb12oz monster!

sittingbigsmile.jpg

I'd like to note that Mummy ate the chocolate rasins not Ruairidh!

Edited by C.J

And after 8 months they grow like mushrooms from a 4lb8 at smallest to a 19lb12oz monster!

sittingbigsmile.jpg

He is beautiful!

Charlie's not far behind your wee man. Born 6lb 9oz, went down to 6lb at his smallest and now, 2 weeks away from being 6 months, he's just about 18lb. The little porker. :lol:

He is beautiful!

Charlie's not far behind your wee man. Born 6lb 9oz, went down to 6lb at his smallest and now, 2 weeks away from being 6 months, he's just about 18lb. The little porker. :lol:

Is he on solids now? Tonight I made Ruairidh poached trout which was caught by the little boy his Gran nanny's with a tomato, pepper, onion and a stack of other veg thrown in. Whirred it all up and he ate a huge bowl of it!

I waited until 6 months to wean and since I introduced solids he's really taken to them!

Is he on solids now? Tonight I made Ruairidh poached trout which was caught by the little boy his Gran nanny's with a tomato, pepper, onion and a stack of other veg thrown in. Whirred it all up and he ate a huge bowl of it!

I waited until 6 months to wean and since I introduced solids he's really taken to them!

He is, yeah. I was going to see how long I could hold him off for, but when he got to about 18 or 19 weeks, he suddenly got really unsettled, was wanting fed every 2 hours, waking in the night or before 6 in the morning, which was really unlike him. So, I decided to give it a go and he absolutely loves his solid food. He giggles while he's eating it and everything. He's not fussy about it either - there's nothing he's had so far that he hasn't liked! I mentioned to the health visitor that he was on them before 6 months, and as she said, he's a big boy, so he was more likely to want solids before 6 months anyway. I remember when it used to be 4 months that you started them on solids. In the 6 years since my second was born, everything seems to have changed!

He is, yeah. I was going to see how long I could hold him off for, but when he got to about 18 or 19 weeks, he suddenly got really unsettled, was wanting fed every 2 hours, waking in the night or before 6 in the morning, which was really unlike him. So, I decided to give it a go and he absolutely loves his solid food. He giggles while he's eating it and everything. He's not fussy about it either - there's nothing he's had so far that he hasn't liked! I mentioned to the health visitor that he was on them before 6 months, and as she said, he's a big boy, so he was more likely to want solids before 6 months anyway. I remember when it used to be 4 months that you started them on solids. In the 6 years since my second was born, everything seems to have changed!

And it'll all change again. Every baby is different though and their mum (sorry dads) know them better than anyone so I've come to realise that my instinct is the best guide.

And it'll all change again. Every baby is different though and their mum (sorry dads) know them better than anyone so I've come to realise that my instinct is the best guide.

Exactly. I've always said that since trying to listen to everyone else giving me conflicting advice with my first, and most health professionals will tell you the same thing. No one knows your baby like you do.

sittingbigsmile.jpg

He's a wee smasher C.J.! :) Takes after his mum - and I believe the chocolate raisins bit too! ;)

Oh and expectant parents, don't waste money on toys, ruairidh's current favorite, an empty pringles tin and empty rasins wraper!

We bought Callum a quite expensive sit-in toy car as a toddler. It had a beepy horn, a musical starting key, flashing lights and a wee juice bottle holder. He played with the BOX it came in! <_<:(:rolleyes:

Thanks for that. I've done my fair share of pacing up and down with a grisly, sleepless baby over my shoulder, nappy changing, bottle feeding, cuddling and burping duties! ;) Some of us men are more use than just being the rutting beast that starts the whole process off.

Simple tip - there's only four things that a screaming baby is complaining about:-

1. They're hungry and/or thirsty - get bottle and warm it or ope the Heinz baby food tin & find a spoon

2. They're dirty - nappy change required

3. They have wind - over the shoulder, towel first so any regurgitated milk doesn't soak into you

4. They're tired, bored and need a nap - lights down, not off, soothing incense and a murmered song or two, lots of warm cuddles, kisses and stroking, then tuck up tight in warm covers on their side.

Simples - post-1053-1243720231.jpg :)

Kilt - available for babysitting in the Paisley/Glasgow area (overnihts elsewhere by negotiation - cheap rates! ;)

Just re. the whole 'when to wean' debate, part of our second year uni course was embryology/obs and bits/paeds.

As part of this, we had a lecture where after being told about the benefits of breastfeeding by some important midwifery person, various breastfeeding maws were supposed to chat with us. This was cut short after one of the burds' weans (aged almost four) wandered over to his maw, pulled repeatedly at the hem of her top, and shouted 'TIT!'

:huh:

Just re. the whole 'when to wean' debate, part of our second year uni course was embryology/obs and bits/paeds.

As part of this, we had a lecture where after being told about the benefits of breastfeeding by some important midwifery person, various breastfeeding maws were supposed to chat with us. This was cut short after one of the burds' weans (aged almost four) wandered over to his maw, pulled repeatedly at the hem of her top, and shouted 'TIT!'

:huh:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I tried that at a nightclub once - never again! :o:(:(

SD, is that a baby sleeping bag your little lad's in there? How do you find it? We got given one for Charlie, but he's never used it because I wasn't sure about them (I had visions of him sliding inside it, despite the fact I know it would have been nigh on impossible for him to do it). He'll never fit in it now, even though it's still sat in the cupboard.

In fact, if anyone wants it, drop me a PM and I'll send it on. Likewise, a baby sling to carry them around in. Charlie's been out in it twice and hates it!

SD, is that a baby sleeping bag your little lad's in there? How do you find it? We got given one for Charlie, but he's never used it because I wasn't sure about them (I had visions of him sliding inside it, despite the fact I know it would have been nigh on impossible for him to do it). He'll never fit in it now, even though it's still sat in the cupboard.

In fact, if anyone wants it, drop me a PM and I'll send it on. Likewise, a baby sling to carry them around in. Charlie's been out in it twice and hates it!

Yes it's a "grow bag". He has three of them. One he's too big for already, that one, and one for over 6 months. we find them great and Thomas seems to like it fine. Much less hassle, no having to make sure bed covers are ok, less washing, etc. When he first came home he was swaddled like they did in hospital but he didn't like that. He likes his arms free and never really went to sleep until he worked them out and had them up either side of his face. The grow bag is ideal for that. I don't see how you could possibly slide inside it? Far less chance than of him sliding under the covers if we just used blankets.

I wouldn't go past them.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Yes it's a "grow bag". He has three of them. One he's too big for already, that one, and one for over 6 months. we find them great and Thomas seems to like it fine. Much less hassle, no having to make sure bed covers are ok, less washing, etc. When he first came home he was swaddled like they did in hospital but he didn't like that. He likes his arms free and never really went to sleep until he worked them out and had them up either side of his face. The grow bag is ideal for that. I don't see how you could possibly slide inside it? Far less chance than of him sliding under the covers if we just used blankets.

I wouldn't go past them.

Charlie is the exact same. I know it's impossible for him to slide inside, it's a completely irrational fear I have! I also got told once that babies should be covered with cellular blankets to stop them overheating, although I can't remember the source. I think it was one of the "Emma's Diary" type books the midwife gives you. We've always just put Charlie in the feet to foot position so he can't wriggle downwards.