Pregnancy And Parenting

Just re. the whole 'when to wean' debate, part of our second year uni course was embryology/obs and bits/paeds.

As part of this, we had a lecture where after being told about the benefits of breastfeeding by some important midwifery person, various breastfeeding maws were supposed to chat with us. This was cut short after one of the burds' weans (aged almost four) wandered over to his maw, pulled repeatedly at the hem of her top, and shouted 'TIT!'

:huh:

I'm sure HGG will be along soon but the average age of weaning from the breast worldwide is 4.

The wife was determined before he was born that Thomas wouldn't be using a dummy. Ha! That idea lasted about a day after he got home. :lol:

He doesn't use it that often but still sometimes to get to sleep at night.

That's a brilliant photo there SD mate! He looks so world weary, a bit like me a Phoenix, in a kind of 'What the hell have you dressed me like this for' way the wee hand under the chin and the resigned look on the face! :D

post-1053-1243772266.jpg

'A BLUE teddy, are you serious?!' is probably coming next! :lol: He's a wee smasher - you must be very proud. ;)

NOTE: See SD, C.J. and LM all having new weans hasn't half made me feel broody. My own two are 14 and 16 and I am beginning to miss them being little ones, pushing them about in their prams, carrying them in the baby sling, changing nappies, feeding them those wee tins of Heinz baby foods (Chocolate pudding was Callum's favourite and vegetable stew Roisin's), bathtimes and that comforting, clean, wholesome 'baby smell' they had about them.

'Drifts off into reverie of times past and thinks about rummaging through the old photo's from 1993 and 1995...

:(

Just a thought, are we going to be introduced to all these newcomers at the Fives then? They'll get spoilt rotton if mums and dads bring them along! :D

Edited: Due to spelling mistakes caused by misty-eyes.....

Edited by Kilt

Just a thought, are we going to be introduced to all these newcomers at the Fives then? They'll get spoilt rotton if mums and dads bring them along! :D

Might do. We'll see! If he's having a good day I might bring him along to watch some football and say hello to some folk and then drop him off at his Gran's before coming out for drinkies. He is the first P&B baby after all, and he's been on the radio. He's famous! :D

Aye, I'd imagine loads of folk will be planning to bring their babies to a piss up in the middle of Glasgow......

The Powerleague afternoon lounge and terrace event, not the abandoned, drunken, embarrassing orgy that is Walkabout, you oaf! :rolleyes::lol:;)

Actually, I just remembered the state some folk were in two years ago when they arrived at Walkabout from Powerleagues (remember young Akritoi?). Maybe it's not the best idea. :lol:

:lol::lol: Oh yes - the pint juggler extraordinaire and the Bear Grylls adventurer stylee - I'm going back to Dumfries Aye, son, but this train is in York! :lol::lol:

I hate dummies personally, but I've been reading up a lot on breast feeding and a pal of mine recommended a dummy to give them something to suck on so that they're not just latching onto you for the sake of having something to suck. (If that makes sense?)

That's exactly what Cal did with me. However he would not take a dummy for love nor money. I would be pacing the floor holding the bloody thing in his mouth and as soon as you let go he would spit it out. I went from "my child's not having a dummy" to "please, please keep this dummy in your mouth" very very quickly.

I hate seeing, as I did yesterday, kids who are about 3 or 4 walking around with dummies in their mouth.

Another thing I wasn't going to do was co-sleep, but when the choice is co sleep or walk the floor for hours with a screaming baby I feel that it's better for baby and me to sleep.

I absolutely detest seeing that as well Rowan. When my neice turned aged one my mum who was looking after her flung her dummy in the bin and told her that another baby needed it.

Co-sleeping was also something I said I would never do having watched my sister still doing it when my niece was 5 years old. However as you say any sleep is good sleep. One night we were determined that Cal would sleep in his cot (he never once slept in it) that we did as suggested and left him to cry, going in and putting him back down, etc. After listening to it for 9 hours at 4am I gave up and took him back into bed with us. When we moved house when he was 16 months he went from our bed into his own single bed. Granted I fell asleep with him every night until he was 4 :ph34r: I'd take Cal to bed and then come back downstairs at 10pm saying "sorry, sorry, I fell asleep"

I think it will be a case of just toughing it out. Charlie's still got his newborn size dummies and they're getting far too small for him now and I'm refusing to buy him bigger ones, so I'm sure it will soon come to me just having to leave him and turn up the television or something :ph34r:

Throw it in the bucket then head off out for the night leaving Adam to look after him ;)

Edited by Ayrgirl

That's exactly what Cal did with me. However he would not take a dummy for love nor money. I would be pacing the floor holding the bloody thing in his mouth and as soon as you let go he would spit it out. I went from "my child's not having a dummy" to "please, please keep this dummy in your mouth" very very quickly.

I absolutely detest seeing that as well Rowan. When my neice turned aged one my mum who was looking after her flung her dummy in the bin and told her that another baby needed it.

Co-sleeping was also something I said I would never do having watched my sister still doing it when my niece was 5 years old. However as you say any sleep is good sleep. One night we were determined that Cal would sleep in his cot (he never once slept in it) that we did as suggested and left him to cry, going in and putting him back down, etc. After listening to it for 9 hours at 4am I gave up and took him back into bed with us. When we moved house when he was 16 months he went from our bed into his own single bed. Granted I fell asleep with him every night until he was 4 :ph34r: I'd take Cal to bed and then come back downstairs at 10pm saying "sorry, sorry, I fell asleep"

Throw it in the bucket then head off out for the night leaving Adam to look after him ;)

I think my wee one hates his cot as he'll sleep anywhere else really soundly. He'll sleep in his cot, just not nearly as well.

He's currently asleep here on my bed!

Just re. the whole 'when to wean' debate, part of our second year uni course was embryology/obs and bits/paeds.

As part of this, we had a lecture where after being told about the benefits of breastfeeding by some important midwifery person, various breastfeeding maws were supposed to chat with us. This was cut short after one of the burds' weans (aged almost four) wandered over to his maw, pulled repeatedly at the hem of her top, and shouted 'TIT!'

:huh:

There was a programme on channel four a while back about mothers who breast feed their kids until they where five years+! Also that reminded me of little Britain...Bitty. :lol:

Actually, I just remembered the state some folk were in two years ago when they arrived at Walkabout from Powerleagues (remember young Akritoi?). Maybe it's not the best idea. :lol:

I think Div should consider having a Creche at the Fives!

My wee one had his/her foot stuck under my ribs for most of yesterday afternoon. I was NOT amused... Movements have definitely started slowing down now. 8 weeks to go... hopefully! Had my mat leave confirmed by letter this morning. Only 4 weeks and 4 days left of work. (Mat leave starts in 8 weeks officially! Annual leave first.) :D

I think Div should consider having a Creche at the Fives!

Great idea! That's you, Lyn-Marie, f_c_Dundee, G_Man's missus and Reina either with child or waiting to pop one out. :D Have I missed anyone? :unsure:

Great idea! That's you, Lyn-Marie, f_c_Dundee, G_Man's missus and Reina either with child or waiting to pop one out. :D Have I missed anyone? :unsure:

Reading Saintee? :unsure:

And if you are including fathers me, Stewarty Mac, Pollymac and Napolean Dynamite off the top of my head without even checking back a few pages.

However, can't speak for the rest but I'm not going to the Fives.

EDIT - Quick check adds Half a Person to the recent dads list and Haitch and MB to the coming soon list.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Reading Saintee? :unsure:

And if you are including fathers me, Stewarty Mac, Pollymac and Napolean Dynamite off the top of my head without even checking back a few pages.

However, can't speak for the rest but I'm not going to the Fives.

EDIT - Quick check adds Half a Person to the recent dads list and Haitch and MB to the coming soon list.

Lyn-Marie, f_c_Dundee, G_Man's missus, Reina, Reading Saintee, Stewarty Mac, PollyMac, Napolean Dynamite, Skyline Drifter, Haitch, MB and Half-a-Person.

Crikey, what a fecund lot we have on here! :D

Edit: Due to my crap 'cut and paste' skills - or lack of, to be precise! :rolleyes:

Edited by Kilt

Lyn-Marie, f_c_Dundee, G_Man's missus, Reina, Reading Saintee, Stewarty Mac, PollyMac, Napolean Dynamite, Skyline Drifter, Haitch, MB and Half-a-Person.

Crikey, what a fecund lot we have on here! :D

Edit: Due to my crap 'cut and paste' skills - or lack of, to be precise! :rolleyes:

:lol: