Quick Question Thread

My gf has been offered a post in the usa, she worked there for 3 years or so but has been back in scotland for the past 5 years. She's keen to go, in makes great sense financially for her but I'm unsure about going with her. I'm a chef so work opportunities for me are excellent over there, just unsure about making such a big move. Anyone gone abroad to work and wants to share there experiences?

My gf has been offered a post in the usa, she worked there for 3 years or so but has been back in scotland for the past 5 years. She's keen to go, in makes great sense financially for her but I'm unsure about going with her. I'm a chef so work opportunities for me are excellent over there, just unsure about making such a big move. Anyone gone abroad to work and wants to share there experiences?

The only way I can make any kind of judgement here is by seeing a pic of your girlfriend.

Where in the US?

Would say working abroad is a great experience but depends 100% where.

USA is so big it's not easy to generalise but my experience is it tends to be soulless. Had the chance to go but stayed in Hong Kong for various reasons. Now in the Philippines but not working.

Much depends on your plans with gf also.

On balance, why not give it a go...you can always come back. Unless they shoot you but that's unlikely!

Would you get a work permit? As a chef you could get work without one but you'd get ripped off and risk getting deported and not allowed to return. If you can get a work permit I'd definitely give it a go, you could always come home if you don't like it. Or just go for a holiday first and see what you think.

Edited by welshbairn

My toe is black and blue. Has been for a wee while now. Do I go see the doc or just bide my time and let it heel some how? The nail is not falling off. Not sore at all

Och, you'll be fine, I'm sure. You'd know if it was serious.

Winston-Ingram.jpeg

As RN alluded to, don't enter the country without a work visa of some sort. They'll just make you leave and re-enter with the proper one. Pain in the arse. Good luck getting one without being married to a citizen however as, unless things have changed, they're like hens' teeth and aren't cheap.

Definitely go if you can. If things don't work out with the girlfriend, you'll be reeking of the fanny by the time you get back. The accent goes down an absolute storm, and I'm not remotely joking.

Och, you'll be fine, I'm sure. You'd know if it was serious.

Winston-Ingram.jpeg

As RN alluded to, don't enter the country without a work visa of some sort. They'll just make you leave and re-enter with the proper one. Pain in the arse. Good luck getting one without being married to a citizen however as, unless things have changed, they're like hens' teeth and aren't cheap.

Definitely go if you can. If things don't work out with the girlfriend, you'll be reeking of the fanny by the time you get back. The accent goes down an absolute storm, and I'm not remotely joking.

3 or 4 years ago they couldn't give green cards away, 'qualified' applications well below the number available.Ex- Wife got one no problem (She's Scottish) and If i'd decided to go would have been no problem.

Could be different now with the economy picking up. Pissed off I didn't go now after reading last para!