Quick Question Thread

I used this to do up my CV. www.enhancv.com .... at every interview I went to, they complimented me on it, saying it stood out amd looked great.

Unfortunately, I accepted one of the jobs, and they foolishly assumed I'm some sort of design whizz, rather than someone who can pay £10 to use a template. 

CVs are the biggest pain in the hole. As a contractor for the last 7 years I've had 8 different jobs and that number is probably lower than most, so I'm struggling to keep the CV under 2 pages. Tried summarising all the experience and "this is why I'm good" in one block and putting dates and clients of different contracts at the end, but recruiters still want to know what you did on each specific job so I've gone back to the old way.

On 06/04/2017 at 13:51, ScottR96 said:

Is anybody got any tips for CV writing? Desperately trying to find a new job but seem to be getting nowhere. Most of the jobs I'm applying for have been a case of sending my CV away so I'm assuming it's shite. 

Theres a lot of good information in the link below re job search and CV preparation, including a "CV Builder" that allows you to build your CV online

https://www.myworldofwork.co.uk/getting-a-job

your CV must always be customised to match the spec off the job that you are applying for.  If you have not updated your CV for awhile or are unsure about how to prpare one, then have a look at the above link and if still unsure arange to meet with a Skills devleopment scotland Careers Adviser by calling 0800 718 8000 and thewy will put you through to the nearest Careers Centre and arrange a meet

19 minutes ago, PRS said:

Theres a lot of good information in the link below re job search and CV preparation, including a "CV Builder" that allows you to build your CV online

https://www.myworldofwork.co.uk/getting-a-job

your CV must always be customised to match the spec off the job that you are applying for.  If you have not updated your CV for awhile or are unsure about how to prpare one, then have a look at the above link and if still unsure arange to meet with a Skills devleopment scotland Careers Adviser by calling 0800 718 8000 and thewy will put you through to the nearest Careers Centre and arrange a meet

Try not to make too many typos is my advice.

Where's the best place online to purchase tickets for an AC Milan game? I'd preferably like to have the tickets in advance rather than waiting until I'm in Italy.

On 07/04/2017 at 08:35, Fuctifano said:

CVs are the biggest pain in the hole. As a contractor for the last 7 years I've had 8 different jobs and that number is probably lower than most, so I'm struggling to keep the CV under 2 pages. Tried summarising all the experience and "this is why I'm good" in one block and putting dates and clients of different contracts at the end, but recruiters still want to know what you did on each specific job so I've gone back to the old way.

Have the most important sections at the top off the CV. After your profile, consider having a "Key Achievements" section with 5 or 6 bullet points - where you exceeded targets, examples of size of contracts that you have managed, where you saved money etc - these will create a very strong initial impression.  Then rather than list all you did under each job, make a "Key Skills" section that summarises the key skills you have for the job that you are applying for.  This will mean your employment record will take up less space as you will have listed the relevant skills from these job in the "Key Skills"section and not repeating them under each off your jobs.

Edited by PRS

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Where's the best place online to purchase tickets for an AC Milan game? I'd preferably like to have the tickets in advance rather than waiting until I'm in Italy.

Haven't tried it but it looks straightforward.

https://www.acmilan.com/en/landing-tickets

Would ask in the Serie A thread Ludo. Think there's some folk that will have been to Milan and might be able to help. (Apologies if you've done this already)

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Cheers. Had a look at that. They're not selling tickets for the Roma game at the start of May but seen that lots of other places are already.

I picked up tickets at the stadium without any fuss.  There's a ticket window specifically for tourists, although you had to take your passport with you.

edit:  It was a smaller game against Torino, don't know how easy it is for the bigger games.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

How do people who are deaf wake themselves up early in the morning?

Trained dogs who nudge them when the alarm goes off, was on some ch5 show a few years ago.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Does anyone own a sound bar and would you recommend me buying one for £100? I like watching movies on my amazon stick so i think a sound bar would make things more enjoyable. 

Not sure what you would get for a hundred quid. I've got one of these

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-entertainment/home-cinema-systems/sc-hte80eb.html

Got it at Richer Sounds at the end of 2015, when it cost me £150 and I'm very happy with it. TV speakers are in the main, crap, so if you watch a lot of films as you say you do you will certainly notice a difference. Especially if the films have a lot of explosions...

Trained dogs who nudge them when the alarm goes off, was on some ch5 show a few years ago.

Aye I know there are deaf-aid dogs (amazing creatures btw, nae deaf-aid cats I see!) but surely like guide dogs, not every deaf person will have one. Vibrate setting on the phone would help nowadays but we've only had mobile's for a couple of decades.

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 14:41, GordonD said:

No, but tell her Wool and Worth were cousins.

B and Q were twins.  After setting up the company, one of them went on to work with James Bond but I can't remember which one.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye I know there are deaf-aid dogs (amazing creatures btw, nae deaf-aid cats I see!) but surely like guide dogs, not every deaf person will have one. Vibrate setting on the phone would help nowadays but we've only had mobile's for a couple of decades.

Unless I've stayed up most of the night and got wrecked I wake up about the same time every morning, almost always before the alarm. Deaf people probably develop more confidence in that innate ability. There's vibrating and flashing clocks that have been around for ages though.