Quick Question Thread

42 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
6 hours ago, Deontay WildPar said:
Does anyone like Coke Zero? I have about 4 slabs of the stuff (little cans) I can't give away. 

Leave some out for me. Il left them when I leave tomorrow if I remember.

You could use one as a chair

09928B6C-EC15-463A-82E0-19D05B6F7E1B.jpeg

Q: When I try looking up National Insurance contributions and how much you need for a pension in future life, the answer always comes back as "X years worth of contributions". 

This isn't what I want, so how much do you need to contribute, as in you can't earn just £10 a year and expect the NI from that (if any) to be counted as part of your 35 years?  I'm guessing there's no exact figure, but there's surely a line that needs to get drawn somewhere? 

Edited by Hedgecutter

Q: When I try looking up National Insurance contributions and how much you need for a pension in future life, the answer always comes back as "X years worth of contributions". 
This isn't what I want, so how much do you need to contribute, as in you can't earn just £10 a year and expect the NI from that (if any) to be counted as part of your 35 years?  I'm guessing there's no exact figure, but there's surely a line that needs to get drawn somewhere? 

My understanding is that it’s a bit like income tax - the more you earn the more you pay. Once you trip the threshold to pay NI you’re then contributing to your retirement.

I’m self employed through my own limited company and pay myself a modest salary so I’m on HMRC radar for PAYE and NI but take the bulk of my money as dividend that, up until last year (thanks Philip Hammond) was essentially tax free.

I’m contributing but at much less a rate than if I was a conventional employee taking all my income that is subject to PAYE and NI on the full amount.

Theres no cap to what you can contribute but you need to contribute for x years to get the full benefit.

I think....

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

My understanding is that it’s a bit like income tax - the more you earn the more you pay. Once you trip the threshold to pay NI you’re then contributing to your retirement.

I’m self employed through my own limited company and pay myself a modest salary so I’m on HMRC radar for PAYE and NI but take the bulk of my money as dividend that, up until last year (thanks Philip Hammond) was essentially tax free.

I’m contributing but at much less a rate than if I was a conventional employee taking all my income that is subject to PAYE and NI on the full amount.

Theres no cap to what you can contribute but you need to contribute for x years to get the full benefit.

I think....

I'll be in a very similar situation to yourself too, hence why I'm asking, thanks.  

So say in an extreme example that your small basic salary is below the taxable threshold, as is a small dividend.  It's feasible in this situation that you could be paying nothing towards NI, so despite you working, you wouldn't be running down your 35 year requirement?  If so, would you need to pay yourself enough to break the threshold, even if it's by a tenner and your contributions are tiny compared to others in employment?  

29 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

In short, yes. I pay myself £15k pa salary so I’m a wee bit over the threshold ( £11k pa I think) and not self evidently taking the piss. But you’re right I think, £1pa a year over and you’re in.

Nice.  Avoiding less tax than you could avoid, a dilemma for whoever's on the Pearly Gates that day.  

Eta:  On a different topic, is this a cool as f*** or terrible flower arrangement for the 30th anniversary of a plane getting blown out of the sky? I'm undecided.

_104912224_hi051282021.jpg

Really good webpage from the BBC fwiw

1.JPG.3f1cce95add14405be858f763533ef4b.JPG

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 hours ago, alta-pete said:

In short, yes. I pay myself £15k pa salary so I’m a wee bit over the threshold ( £11k pa I think) and not self evidently taking the piss. But you’re right I think, £1pa a year over and you’re in.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/your-new-state-pension-explained/your-state-pension-explained

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

13 minutes ago, Daydream said:

What is the best, most complete Sunday paper when it comes to SPFL coverage? 

Pretty much no Sunday will cover the Championship, League one or League two in any kind of detail you would be much better going on the clubs websites for their match reports, sadly.

Edited by Adam101

9 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Pretty much no Sunday will cover the Championship, League one or League two in any kind of detail you would be much better going on the clubs websites for their match reports, sadly.

Some local papers do a decent job, the Press and Journal and Inverness Courier up here, but not till Monday and Tuesday respectively.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Some local papers do a decent job, the Press and Journal and Inverness Courier up here, but not till Monday and Tuesday respectively.

Which is such a shame if the small papers can do it then surely the big papers can, most papers do a Scottish edition of the paper and yet it will be rammed with content from England which I (and I assume many others) have absolutely no interest in and would much prefer to have an in-depth review of the title races in league one and two which look fascinating, however are being ignored by all the media including print.