Quick Question Thread

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:
Did they call and speak to you or did you receive a letter via post? 

Its not me its the wife but it was a letter

Well provided it’s not recorded delivery I’d tear it up and if there’s any afters claim to have received nothing. 

Well provided it’s not recorded delivery I’d tear it up and if there’s any afters claim to have received nothing. 
Seems like kicking the can down the road somewhat.... I was more hoping to be able to tell them to bolt. Googling seems to suggest that they can take it to the courts. Whether they would or not is anyones guess. I had hoped to have my previous suspicions confirmed that you are within your rights to refuse to pay it back

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
5 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Seems like kicking the can down the road somewhat.... I was more hoping to be able to tell them to bolt. Googling seems to suggest that they can take it to the courts. Whether they would or not is anyones guess. I had hoped to have my previous suspicions confirmed that you are within your rights to refuse to pay it back

How much was it? You'd get away with a few hundred claiming you thought it was holiday pay, lie time etc. But if she was expecting £1000.00 in her last pay and got £50k, you can't really plead ignorance.

Would it be worth their while taking it court, if not, I'd ignore it and see if they follow up.

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
14 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I’ve just googled the issue and it would seem that provided your missus worked her notice period prior to leaving, she’d be well within her rights to demand a breakdown of her former employers claim prior to handing any cash back. If it’s only a couple of hundred pound or a relatively small amount, it’s maybe even worth letting it run and see if her old employer even bother to try pursue it any further as it might not be worth their while going down the court route.

Edited by 8MileBU

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah, I'd dingy it and see if they follow up. Is there any chance of them causing her career problems in the future?

Maybe make an offer to pay it back at £5 a month due to "the current financial climate".

Seems fairly sensible then to go with the ignore and see if it goes away approach. The old employer is the NHS and she was considering remaining on the staff bank. That now becomes problematic as they would then have a mechanism to get the money back. It's really up to her if she thinks that's worth the 500 notes they claim to have overpaid. I shall advise the ignore approach. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Seems fairly sensible then to go with the ignore and see if it goes away approach. The old employer is the NHS and she was considering remaining on the staff bank. That now becomes problematic as they would then have a mechanism to get the money back. It's really up to her if she thinks that's worth the 500 notes they claim to have overpaid. I shall advise the ignore approach. 

If she goes back she can make a reasonable offer to repay. £1.00 a shift.

Make them prove it, at least, if she isn't sure.

Presumably this is a small overpayment over time, rather than a random £500 on a single wage slip!

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Make them prove it, at least, if she isn't sure.

Presumably this is a small overpayment over time, rather than a random £500 on a single wage slip!

It sounds like they fucked up her departure date so her final wage contained X number of days that she wasnt due. Whilst I am aware that it generally doesnt matter whose f**k up it is, I am more keen to patch them based on this. They made a right c**t of it basically

It sounds like they fucked up her departure date so her final wage contained X number of days that she wasnt due. Whilst I am aware that it generally doesnt matter whose f**k up it is, I am more keen to patch them based on this. They made a right c**t of it basically
We've had all these heroes out clapping for the NHS whilst you're out robbing them you scoundrel.

1 minute ago, Empty It said:

We've had all these heroes out clapping for the NHS whilst you're out robbing them you scoundrel.

That could pay their entire wage rise on it's own!  :o

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I'd probably be paying it back just for further down the line if she needs back into work sharpish one day, the NHS is always screaming out for nurses (I'm guessing that's what she is, here) . Usually, I'd 100% be being the "go fuk yirsel" person. 

3 hours ago, supermik said:

Who decided that porridge should change its name to Porage?

ADFB86C0-E102-42DA-9121-A4D751A41153.jpeg

What do you mean, change? They've always spelt it like that. It's a trademark, like Irn Bru - see the little 'R' symbol?

The Scott's Porage Oats shotputter logo was designed by Tom Curr, a commercial artist from Edinburgh.

Curr was also known for doing cartoon sketches of football matches for the Evening News.

The Edinburgh City Social Club has his original cartoon of when the team beat Hibs 3-2 in the Scottish Cup in the 1930s.

13 hours ago, BFTD said:

Is it normal to have that much of an ice build-up on fridges? I've only ever had a small film at the back, which is normally an indicator that I need to turn it down a tad.

For the fridge and freezer, I tend to just run the contents down for a couple of weeks, then turn it off for a day before the big shop and let it all melt. Stick a bit of tarpaulin in the bottom and let it drain into a container, and empty as necessary. Could do with giving it a go now, actually, but I'm waiting for the warmer weather.

God, I even bored myself with that.

It had been a very, very bad fridge.

Presumably the ice was so thick that he was stabbing away at it and didn't realise he'd pierced through. Which, again, I've never had a fridge that accumulated that much ice.

I've had that a couple of times only.  Ice had gotten so thick that letting it defrost would have taken a fair while hence the knife attack.  Both times it happened because we hadn't used the freezer section for a while so forgot to defrost.  The last time  we (Royal We) actually broke the hinged door of the freezer section trying to open it!

Edit: this was in the days before frost free freezers.

Edited by hk blues