Quick Question Thread

6 hours ago, Delicate Flower said:

Geographically, there is no distinction between Europe and Asia, it's the same landmass. It's always been rather a cultural separation. And culturally, Cyprus is more European. So although it lies near the Levantine coast, I'd say it's fair to consider it Europe.

Culturally Cyprus is a south-east European country closely aligned with Greece (Northern Cyprus is officially part of the same nation but in practice is run by Turkey), but it is one of a number of countries that lies entirely or partially in Asia will being culturally European.

Cyprus, Armenia and Israel are entirely within Asia.

Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Russia and Kazakhstan all have territory in both Eastern Europe and Western Asia. 

30 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Culturally Cyprus is a south-east European country closely aligned with Greece (Northern Cyprus is officially part of the same nation but in practice is run by Turkey), but it is one of a number of countries that lies entirely or partially in Asia will being culturally European.

Cyprus, Armenia and Israel are entirely within Asia.

Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Russia and Kazakhstan all have territory in both Eastern Europe and Western Asia. 

Yeah, but wherever that's lifted from doesn't address my point that you can't say, geographically, that it lies in Asia. Asia is only a cultural construct. In terms of physical landmasses, Cyprus, together with Israel, Azerbaijan, Georgia, France, Germany, Poland and everywhere else mentioned or not mentioned in that article all lie within Eurasia.

12 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

This raises an interesting discussion. How long do you have to spend somewhere to be able to say you've "been there"?

For example, technically I've been to Asia several times, but only been in the transit lounges at Dubai and Singapore, so I don't really count it

I'd say you've been to Asia because it's a geographical area, but not to those states, because you've not legally crossed the border. 

I went on a school trip to Strasbourg and we walked across a dam on a river (Rh-something- Rhine, Rhone, Rhur, unsure) into Germany for about a minute. I'm counting that as having been to Germany. 

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

I'd say you've been to Asia because it's a geographical area, but not to those states, because you've not legally crossed the border. 

I went on a school trip to Strasbourg and we walked across a dam on a river (Rh-something- Rhine, Rhone, Rhur, unsure) into Germany for about a minute. I'm counting that as having been to Germany. 

In which case my hour stopover at Ljubljana Airport will count as me having been in Slovenia. 

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

How far in advance do Easyjet release flights? I was looking for July next year but on their website it goes to May or June then says "end of flight only schedule". I assume that just means there will be more out next month and so on?

They usually release them in 3 or 4 month blocks, I'd have thought next summer's flights would be out soon. It varies from destination to destination though, I'd keep checking. I booked flights to Germany for the Euros with Ryanair a couple of months ago when most destinations weren't on sale yet.

6 hours ago, coprolite said:

There is actually a geophysical reason for Cyprus being in Asia, it’s located on the Asian continental shelf and a part of an Asian tectonic plate.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

There is actually a geophysical reason for Cyprus being in Asia, it’s located on the Asian continental shelf and a part of an Asian tectonic plate.

Asia isn’t a plate. Eurasia is. Asia is a generally understood* geographical area. If you’re referring to the Anatolian plate then that’s mostly in Asia but also includes bits of Greece, which isn’t.  Tectonics doesn’t map perfectly to how we understand and classify the continents culturally. See Zealand, New; Gascar, Mada; India et al. 

*subject to arguments about which sides of rivers or mountains in the Urals and Caucuses form the boundary. 

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Asia isn’t a plate. Eurasia is. Asia is a generally understood* geographical area. If you’re referring to the Anatolian plate then that’s mostly in Asia but also includes bits of Greece, which isn’t.  Tectonics doesn’t map perfectly to how we understand and classify the continents culturally. See Zealand, New; Gascar, Mada; India et al. 

*subject to arguments about which sides of rivers or mountains in the Urals and Caucuses form the boundary. 

Good god man, don't argue with it!

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Speaking of planes, anybody been on the seaplane thing that goes from the Clyde up the west coast? 

I havent.

Neither have I but it looks the dugs danglies.

Was on holiday on Loch Fyne last month and it was flying over us daily. Reckon he does a fair trade in day trips to Islay for the *ladz to go get pissed up in the distilleries and he then goes back to collect them. 
Can you book it and report back please?

16 hours ago, TxRover said:

Fun Fact: The Scottish Highlands are an extension of the Appalachians.

14 hours ago, philpy said:

Is anyone been coughing like f**k or been really wheezy since this "sahara dust" has hut??

I've had a stinking cold* the last few days. Coughing, sneezing, sore head and throat. 

Woke up this morning feeling great. I have successfully passed it on to my wife and kids who are suffering this morning. 

* might be the new covid strain. A couple of folk at work tested themselves and were positive.