Quick Question Thread

19 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Has anyone else started to put the central heating on? That's 5 days in a row now I've had to put it on a bit as the house was feeling cold.

Yep - windows shut, heating up full blast*.

I remember the days when I didn't start feeling the cold until November. The shorts are getting packed away for another eight months this weekend  :(

* (clicking on at 18°c)

27 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Yep - windows shut, heating up full blast*.

I remember the days when I didn't start feeling the cold until November. The shorts are getting packed away for another eight months this weekend  :(

* (clicking on at 18°c)

I've not got to the stage of setting the thermostat and leaving it, I'm still just putting it on for half an hour when I feel cold.

I used to think I was tough like @tamthebam but these days are far behind me now.

53 minutes ago, Empty It said:

6sXh (1).gif

Having been through the past couple of winters with minimal heat for financial reasons, with the expected impact on my health, f**k it. Not happening this year. It'll be nice and toasty in debtor's prison, I'm sure.

Apparently it's about 12°C outside the noo, and having the heating click on to 18°C has cost about £7 in the past week. I can live with that.

We could probably use an Oaksoft Memorial Thermostat Watcher thread.

54 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Ah yes. The classics. 

"Looking forward to sitting in a freezing house wearing gloves and thermals all day and night. It'll be just like old times!"

"I won't boil vegetables on the hob. I'll just stick a pan of water in the oven with my other stuff and use that heat to cook my spuds. And I don't care that the excess steam will destroy whatever else I am cooking. I like eating watery mush. It'll be just like old times!"

"I'll sit in my cold, dark house with my wife chained to the radiator. I'll look out across the road at the lunatics using up their money on luxuries like a lightbulb or a hot water bottle. And I'll laugh, knowing I am winning at this."

Currently I go from feeling cold and shivering to hot and sweaty all throughout the day. I suspect it’s nothing to do with temperature but most likely the meds I’m on and the fact I still have a 26cm long wound in my stomach/abdomen 

1 minute ago, Raidernation said:

Currently I go from feeling cold and shivering to hot and sweaty all throughout the day. I suspect it’s nothing to do with temperature but most likely the meds I’m on and the fact I still have a 26cm long wound in my stomach/abdomen 

Probably menopause.

I understand chocolate helps, you lucky thing.

1 hour ago, BTFD said:

Having been through the past couple of winters with minimal heat for financial reasons, with the expected impact on my health, f**k it. Not happening this year. It'll be nice and toasty in debtor's prison, I'm sure.

Apparently it's about 12°C outside the noo, and having the heating click on to 18°C has cost about £7 in the past week. I can live with that.

I'm with you the comfort of being warm is worth the price I pay.

5 hours ago, BTFD said:

Lucky b*****d, it dropped down to 19°C last night for the first time since May…the Air Conditioning just clicked on, and the meter revved up…it’s 32.5°C outside right now.

22 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Lucky b*****d, it dropped down to 19°C last night for the first time since May…the Air Conditioning just clicked on, and the meter revved up…it’s 32.5°C outside right now.

Yeah, I've lived in 40+°C. I've no idea how the people who couldn't afford aircon survived. You'd never get proper sleep, if nothing else.

On the upside, you get to shoot random brown people if they approach you so long as you scream, "it was coming right for us"! That's how that works, right?

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Got the wood burner on tonight for the first time this season.  Feels extra cosy knowing it's from trees taken out by Storm Arwen that I've had drying out in the log store for yonks.

Hide contents

Still_game_tam.jpg.ae632c20e1e62963dd85482359834c5d.jpg

:lol:

I work with a boy who is a fabricator but is sent out to site with us if somebody is off. He spends 95% of his time searching the building for wood he can store for the "wid birnir".

The other 5% of his time is spent telling us "thits nae hoo ahd dae it like, bit ehm jisa metul wurker".

ETA : he's a "keen" downhill biker. Most of his stories the following week are about how much wid he found.*

*If he's not off because he fell off his bike.

Edited by Derry Alli

44 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Yeah, I've lived in 40+°C. I've no idea how the people who couldn't afford aircon survived. You'd never get proper sleep, if nothing else.

On the upside, you get to shoot random brown people if they approach you so long as you scream, "it was coming right for us"! That's how that works, right?

Pretty much this.

14 hours ago, BTFD said:

I don't have aircon, just fans in the house.

Hate aircon, all the places I've worked over here they have aircon, but I sit outside, folk think I'm mental.

Was at a meeting yesterday, It took 2 hrs in 24 degree aircon.  I had to walk out the office  3 times to heat up, during the meeting I was thinking,  there is no way I could live in Scotland again, it would kill me.

6pm just now 33 degree, I'll stick a jumper on about 8pm when in drops below 30.

Sleep like a baby with my duvet.

Edited by SlipperyP