Quick Question Thread

Why do people in Scotland (and all over the world) celebrate St.Patrick's Day? People continually asking me last night why I wasn't wearing green was quite annoying. Maybe it's because I'm not Irish and have no connection to Ireland whatsoever? I'd want to celebrate St.David's Day but no one seems up for that for some reason.

Pubs will be sent novelty Guinness hats and drunk people wearing them will be the only indication that it's St Patrick's day in the north east, it's the west coast Irish settler thing that you are referring to.

It's Guinness day now anyway where 5th generation Irish talk loudly about the "old country" that they've never seen and drink lots of stout.

..It's Guinness day now anyway ..

This. The Guinness marketing department should be congratulated for making sure the World celebrates St Patrick's Day whether they are Irish or not.

Edited by Swarley

Guest The Phoenix

This. The Guinness marketing department should congratulated for making sure the World celebrates St Patricks Day whether they are Irish or not.

I take it Guinness is also to be congratulated for your post?

Anyone know where in edinburgh, leith preferably, I can buy one of those Heniken 5L kegs? The lads bought one through for a night out last week and only about 1L was tanned before we headed out. The connector tap has been thrown out by accident so there is plenty of lager in there, just no way of getting it out (short of bursting the thing which i'm not after). Asda at Ocean Terminal didnt have any and the Sainsbury's local at the shore also drew a blank.

Help appreciated.

This. The Guinness marketing department should be congratulated for making sure the World celebrates St Patricks Day whether they are Irish or not.

Recognition to the Johnny Walker team as well who have managed to convince most of the world that Johnny Walker is the best 'Scotch' available when it's a load of blended rubbish... imo. They're both Diageo anyway to the best of my knowledge so probably have the same kind of marketing dept. if not the same one.

I have a couple of questions regarding travel advice. Don't want to annoy everyone with yet another travel advice thread so I'll ask here:

1) Does anyone know where the best place in Europe to work this summer would be? I'm talking your Magaluf's, Zante's etc.

2) Is flying over on a one way flight with just a couple of weeks accomodation booked a good idea? Not flush just now and don't know the odds on picking up work quickly?

3) Is June 6th too late to realistically get work? I can't go before then.

Ant advice would be great, I've heard the best way to guarentee work is to go over with a massive number of eccies, don't fancy 20 years in prison though so I'll give that a miss. Cheers.

Guest The Phoenix

I have a couple of questions regarding travel advice. Don't want to annoy everyone with yet another travel advice thread so I'll ask here:

1) Does anyone know where the best place in Europe to work this summer would be? I'm talking your Magaluf's, Zante's etc.

2) Is flying over on a one way flight with just a couple of weeks accomodation booked a good idea? Not flush just now and don't know the odds on picking up work quickly?

3) Is June 6th too late to realistically get work? I can't go before then.

Ant advice would be great, I've heard the best way to guarentee work is to go over with a massive number of eccies, don't fancy 20 years in prison though so I'll give that a miss. Cheers.

1) Of the three options etc is your best bet.

2) You can't fly on a two way flight or you be back where you started, so yes.

3) No but don't leave it any later. It's all downhill from June 7th.

Looking to buy a docking station for my iPod for no more than £100. Can anyone more technologically literate than me point me in the right direction? Don't care what it looks like, I'm more interested in getting the best sound for that price.

Looking to buy a docking station for my iPod for no more than £100. Can anyone more technologically literate than me point me in the right direction? Don't care what it looks like, I'm more interested in getting the best sound for that price.

You should go into curry's or dixon's with your iPod and ask the salesman to help you out. I'm sure they wouldn't mind you going around a few to see what they sound like.

1) Of the three options etc is your best bet.

2) You can't fly on a two way flight or you be back where you started, so yes.

3) No but don't leave it any later. It's all downhill from June 7th.

They are social insects related to bees and wasps found on every land mass on earth except Antartica. (Which I thought was a bit ironic!)

Cheers lads. :)

Is the law that anyone who looks under 25 in a supermarket must be ID'ed even if they're with someone well over 25, regardless if they're paying or not?

I was in ASDA there with my dad and bought booze, I look well under 25 and wasn't ID'ed at all (I always am if buying myself). Yet yesterday the same scenario, the woman only ID'ed me because I was paying. I thought if alcohol was being bought, if anyone was looking under 25 with the person buying, they'd be ID'ed also. What's the script.

My girlfriend used to work in Sainsbury's and legally, they only have to ask the person who's buying the booze for ID. There have been countless times where I've been refused drink (or in one case, cigarettes) because I was with someone without ID which is total bullshit and nothing angers me more.

My girlfriend used to work in Sainsbury's and legally, they only have to ask the person who's buying the booze for ID. There have been countless times where I've been refused drink (or in one case, cigarettes) because I was with someone without ID which is total bullshit and nothing angers me more.

I've been refused a number of times because my 23 yo brother's been there. Usually I go up to buy booze with no issue but as soon as he makes an appearance then they decide to ID both of us. He has ID but I don't have any unless I carry my passport around and they always use this excuse of "if we ID one of you then we have to ID both". I was able to legally buy booze a whole decade ago! Utter bollocks.

Edited by Hedgecutter