Quick Question Thread

Anyone broken their ribs before and how long was the healing time? Smashed my ribs downhilling 2 weeks ago and I'm still in agony.

3 months minimum, but you should be able to lie flat by now. It's a bitch.

P.S. Avoid the opium based pain relievers they offer you, getting constipated just increases the pain when you have to squeeze one out. Stick to whisky and ibuprofen.

Edited by welshbairn

Anyone broken their ribs before and how long was the healing time? Smashed my ribs downhilling 2 weeks ago and I'm still in agony.

Depends on the extent of the injury, of course.  I've broken ribs playing rugby and also cross country skiing in Sweden (where I fell with the hilt of the ski pole against my ribcage).

2-3 weeks until you can breathe easier.  6-8 weeks to breathe normally after 'exercise'.

Don't think it's as long as that but suppose it depends if it's a break or fracture and how bad.

I just bruised/cracked mine twice, not broken, and it took a full 3 months to get back to normal so you didn't have to avoid laughing. Depending on your job and the damage  you can get back to work much quicker.

Thanks folks. The worst pain is when I wake in the morning. Rotating in bed is unbearable. Once I'm up and about, full of paracetamol and ibruprofen the pain eases a lot.

I managed to play football the other night but with great difficulty.

I hope it's not 3 months healing time because the ski season start in a month and a half :(.

Thanks folks. The worst pain is when I wake in the morning. Rotating in bed is unbearable. Once I'm up and about, full of paracetamol and ibruprofen the pain eases a lot.

I managed to play football the other night but with great difficulty.

I hope it's not 3 months healing time because the ski season start in a month and a half :(.

I had pain on and off for over a year after I did mine. It'll depend on you, your health and the damage done really. Bear in mind that the more exercise involving deep breathing you do, the more your ribs will move in line with your breathing and the longer they may take to heal.

Don't think it's as long as that but suppose it depends if it's a break or fracture and how bad.

A break and a fracture are the same thing. Fracture is the clinical term for it.

Thank you,

Nurse Dee Man.

I had pain on and off for over a year after I did mine. It'll depend on you, your health and the damage done really. Bear in mind that the more exercise involving deep breathing you do, the more your ribs will move in line with your breathing and the longer they may take to heal.

In total agreement with Mrs M. I separated my ribs playing football and was still getting twinges nine or ten months later.

Has anybody else felt slightly surprised that Ethiopia has its own airline and feel guilty for considering that they're not rich / developed enough to have planes?

Just that you never see 747s in the BandAid videos. Not even Santa flies there. Plenty of flies though.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Has anybody else felt slightly surprised that Ethiopia has its own airline and feel guilty for considering that they're not rich / developed enough to have planes?

Just that you never see 747s in the BandAid videos. Not even Santa flies there. Plenty of flies though.

Never been surprised, as the political leaders of Ethiopia at the time of Bandaid, were reputedly having plane loads of whisky flown in for their own consumption

Have you been reading the Daily Mail comments section?

I bought these Chinese ribs from the butcher and not sure how to cook them, they are just normal looking ribs that aren't a rack or anything like that - what's best way to cook them? Getting mixed solutions online.