Quick Question Thread

Putting laminate down is a piece of piss mate, crack on with it yourself.

You'll thank me when you're spending that £100-£150 on beer and ching!

I'll say a wee toast for you on my next big one mate!

Supermik, I've already got laminate down, is it advisable to put new "underlay" down for this stuff?

The underlay has to go down whenever you put down laminate flooring. It helps to even out the base floor underneath the laminate and it also helps deaden the sound a bit if its an upstairs floor.

edit. Just read your post again Adam. Are you going to put the new laminate on top of other laminate? Never done that before so not sure of best procedure. If it was me then i would probably lift the old stuff first then lay the new stuff on top of the existing underlay (if there is some).

Edited by supermik

The underlay has to go down whenever you put down laminate flooring. It helps to even out the base floor underneath the laminate and it also helps deaden the sound a bit if its an upstairs floor.

edit. Just read your post again Adam. Are you going to put the new laminate on top of other laminate? Never done that before so not sure of best procedure. If it was me then i would probably lift the old stuff first then lay the new stuff on top of the existing underlay (if there is some).

Was planning on lifting old stuff but know there is underlay underneath so was wondering if it was needed to put new stuff down.

Ok, when you lift old stuff, check how spongy the underlay is. If it is a bit tough or brittle then just change it.

in fact, just change the underlay. It's better to just start with a blank canvas, so to say

Ok, when you lift old stuff, check how spongy the underlay is. If it is a bit tough or brittle then just change it.

in fact, just change the underlay. It's better to just start with a blank canvas, so to say

He should just put the new laminate on top of the old stuff. That way you've less to go to the tip.

Anybody who would even think that someone might lay laminate on top of existing laminate should f**k right off and not give advise.

The type of flooring and underlay you choose depends on several factors. Is it a concrete or wooden sub-floor, what condition is the sub-floor in, is it in a Flat or upstairs room where you don't want sound travelling downwards, etc.

Factors to consider when getting a price from someone, or deciding to DIY,  should include the shape of the room (corners and angles mean more cutting and wastage), straightness of walls,  the number of doors in the room ( properly fitting at doors thresholds takes extra time plus joining to existing floor coverings  in other rooms), are there any radiator pipes or cables coming up thought the floor or along the skirting, will the room be clear of furniture?

If you are reasonably competent and  not too fussy about how long you take then there is no great problem with DIY but you will probably need to buy a floor fitting kit from the place you get the flooring from. There are on-line guide videos to help.

Getting a price from someone to do it should take into account any of the above problems  but a ballpark price of about £150 min does not seem too steep. 

Someone who can't spell "advice" correctly should probably refrain from making such strong statements about it tbh.

Unlucky MC, "advise" was not the mistake in that post my error was inserting "give" before it.

Better luck next time.

Ah sorry, didn't realise you couldn't spell "offer" either ;)

Stumped me on that one their MC, need clarification.

I blame the education system for my poor spelling, to many poor teachers only interested in the long holidays.(and me not spell-checking before I post)

I will try and improve my spelling for when you are reading the Championship Threads next season.