Quick Question Thread

Sounds like a coal tit from your description, only the bright orange beak doesn't match up. Further investigation required.

Coal tit head is more black than white. Maybe one of my neighbours has been putting out the Ronseal again.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Ornithological people: Saw a couple of tit-like (snigger) birds in my garden this morning and can't find find them in the RSPB books or website.

Same shape / size as a sparrow (as opposed to wagtail) but with bright orange beak, white head with black stripes down it's cheeks and over head, black back suddenly changing the grey tail midway down. Bit of orange to it's plumage, maybe.

Any thoughts?

Eta: Any orange plumage maybe a fabrication added as memory faded. Probably rules out Dundee United Finch.

Zebra finch. Probably escaped from somebodys aviary.

bird-profile-zebra-finch-530235f26b0f1.j

Zebra finch. Probably escaped from somebodys aviary.

bird-profile-zebra-finch-530235f26b0f1.jpg

Nuh, nae that. Did see it as part of my fruitless search though.

Ringed plover is the closest bet yet, but they seem a bit large with longer legs.

Another question for all you ornithological types. 

Are you able to identify a bird by its distinctive droppings?

I hope so, cos that might help me find the "winged friend" that left me this gift last night for me to "unwrap" when I opened the curtains. 

I've genuinely no idea what kind of bird could even produce that much mess. My guess is a pterodactyl carrying a large tin of white emulsion. 

morning_cardinal2.jpg

27 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I hope so, cos that might help me find the "winged friend" that left me this gift last night for me to "unwrap" when I opened the curtains. 

I've genuinely no idea what kind of bird could even produce that much mess. My guess is a pterodactyl carrying a large tin of white emulsion. 

morning_cardinal2.jpg

Argentavis, by the looks of it - good news is that everybody thought it was extinct...

20140210-0042061.jpg

Edited by Hillonearth
Pic

17 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

morning_cardinal2.jpg

Looks like throbber's window after he's been wanking in front of the old dear across the way.

Edited by Dee Man

14 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Nuh, nae that. Did see it as part of my fruitless search though.

Ringed plover is the closest bet yet, but they seem a bit large with longer legs.

Won't be a ringed plover unless you live right on the coast near a beach. The female zebra finch looks closer to what you described - defo escaped, 'cos they're from Australia...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrqEoj4Y257ReixMdv1cr