Quick Question Thread

On 03/01/2017 at 19:39, supermik said:

I used to have loads of those little soldiers although I was a bit older at the time. I used to spend hours also making battlefields on wooden boards using chicken wire and covering it up with papier-mâché. Then loads more hours was spent painting it all. Different era I suppose but it kept me occupied for ages as a kid.

When he grew out of it he flogged the battlefield to Albion Rovers - it was used as their terracing for years.

Had a sore elbow for a good few days now, only really when picking stuff up. Reading online symptoms seem to be consistent with tennis elbow. Has anyone had this? Can I continue to do everything I normally do (specifically squash and boxing) if the pain allows or should I stop completely?

I'd speak to your GP. One of my mates had tennis elbow a couple of years ago. GP reckoned his work (scaffolder) brought it on, and though he was able to continue working pain-free with the help of an elbow support, he had to sack golfing for the best part of a year.

I've just read two posts on two separate threads talking about someone doing a slash with their testicles out. If someone could point me in the direction of the original poster who said it so I can put them on ignore or try to get them banned then that would be great.

18 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Had a sore elbow for a good few days now, only really when picking stuff up. Reading online symptoms seem to be consistent with tennis elbow. Has anyone had this? Can I continue to do everything I normally do (specifically squash and boxing) if the pain allows or should I stop completely?

Have you tried necking lots of painkillers and anti-inflamatories? Whatever it says on the box x2, several times a day. My dentist put me on to that and it can soon shift aches and pains. Hadn't realised you played squash too. Great minds think alike. 

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

I've just read two posts on two separate threads talking about someone doing a slash with their testicles out. If someone could point me in the direction of the original poster who said it so I can put them on ignore or try to get them banned then that would be great.

It rang a bell from one of the deleted threads a while back. Maybe it was the thread with a few simple questions (such as pissing etiquette) to establish your level of 

2674686_beastri653_jpege7d82b54dcbd1f06d

Baws oot is the new taps aff.

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:38, Spain said:

Anyone ever hired a car in the US? Best to book in advance or just take what you can get when you get there? Also, any recommendations for hire car companies? I'm heading to Houston in a few weeks and was planning on getting a Camaro or similar for a week and taking a run to New Orleans for a couple of days.

At Houston airport, the car rentals are all in the same place.

Are you going to New Orleans and back to Houston or one way?  Some firms do one way and some do not.  They charge extra if they do.

It takes about 6 hours to drive.

The Holiday Inn in Beaumont was really nice.
Baton Rouge is worth a visit - not far off the I-10 and there is a battleship to look at.

Two days in New Orleans is about right.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

At Houston airport, the car rentals are all in the same place.

Are you going to New Orleans and back to Houston or one way?  Some firms do one way and some do not.  They charge extra if they do.

It takes about 6 hours to drive.

The Holiday Inn in Beaumont was really nice.
Baton Rouge is worth a visit - not far off the I-10 and there is a battleship to look at.

Two days in New Orleans is about right.

Planning one day/night in Houston at my friends', then around a day and a half in New Orleans (with 2 nights) before heading back to Houston again on the Saturday morning for Super Bowl weekend.

1 hour ago, Spain said:

Planning one day/night in Houston at my friends', then around a day and a half in New Orleans (with 2 nights) before heading back to Houston again on the Saturday morning for Super Bowl weekend.

Sounds good.  Houston to New Orleans is about 6 hours.  Similar to Inverness to Manchester but maybe not so scenic (although it is dual highway the whole way).

It will be colder in February than you might expect.  It is easy to think the Deep South is warm all year around - it is not (although it will be warmer than further north).

Avery Island - where they make Tabasco sauce - is on Highway 90 out of New Orleans heading west.  Small detour to get there.

39 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Wife and I are going to Houston for three nights in may just before we go to Nashville. Would appreciate any advice as to where to stay as we've not done Texas before. Also any good restaurant advice would be appreciated.

We had a Camaro last time we went to nashville, but as we picked it up on Memphis there was a $100 one way charge. Great car though, driven both the mustang and Camaro and although i prefer the look of the mustang the Camaro was more fun to drive. When it comes to car hire i think its either dollar or budget who do a kinda surprise/mystery car which can be good, you pay the equivalent of the mid size car and can get anything from a mid size, full size, luxury, 4x4 or mini van, bit of a gamble but its good fun. Hiring cars is a lot easier in Orlando than other parts of America in terms of extra charges etc but on the whole ive not had any crazy experiences. That said the Americans are on the whole absolutey abysmal drivers. Apologies meant to quote Spains post instead!!

I am not sure what I would do in Houston for 3 nights.
I went to San Antonio last year (3 hours driving west of Houston).
It is home to the Alamo, which is located downtown.
It has a river - or ox-bow lake - in the middle - which has hotels, pubs and restaurants on either side.
I thought I was the most attractive part of San Antonio.

San Antonio.jpg

San Antonio 2.jpg

San Antonio 3.jpg

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Sounds good.  Houston to New Orleans is about 6 hours.  Similar to Inverness to Manchester but maybe not so scenic (although it is dual highway the whole way).

It will be colder in February than you might expect.  It is easy to think the Deep South is warm all year around - it is not (although it will be warmer than further north).

Avery Island - where they make Tabasco sauce - is on Highway 90 out of New Orleans heading west.  Small detour to get there.

Yeah, I was expecting that. It's around 13/14 most days right now with an occasional 20+. My mate that lives over there is from here, so I'm getting constant updates on the weather! We're trying not to plan too much in advance what we're doing as we want to take it as it comes a bit. 

1 hour ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Wife and I are going to Houston for three nights in may just before we go to Nashville. Would appreciate any advice as to where to stay as we've not done Texas before. Also any good restaurant advice would be appreciated.

We had a Camaro last time we went to nashville, but as we picked it up on Memphis there was a $100 one way charge. Great car though, driven both the mustang and Camaro and although i prefer the look of the mustang the Camaro was more fun to drive. When it comes to car hire i think its either dollar or budget who do a kinda surprise/mystery car which can be good, you pay the equivalent of the mid size car and can get anything from a mid size, full size, luxury, 4x4 or mini van, bit of a gamble but its good fun. Hiring cars is a lot easier in Orlando than other parts of America in terms of extra charges etc but on the whole ive not had any crazy experiences. That said the Americans are on the whole absolutey abysmal drivers. Apologies meant to quote Spains post instead!!

Not everybody's cup of tea maybe (NERD ALERT), but one of my favourite bits of Houston was without doubt NASA's Johnson Space Center. I missed Saturn V last time because there was a thunderstorm and our tour was cut short, and my mate hasn't been so I'm actually thinking of going again this time just so I can see it! Restaurant-wise I can't really remember any other than Taste of Texas (which we're going back to again this time), where you get massive and awesome steaks.

The other thing my mates are always desperate to take me to but would suit the summer more (storms ruined it again last time), is river-tubing in Austin. It's just floating down a river in tyres that you can lash together - the lashing together is important because you take tyres for your cool-boxes too and fill them full of beer and ice. So basically getting pissed on a river.