Quick Question Thread

1 hour ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Wife and I are going to Houston for three nights in may just before we go to Nashville. Would appreciate any advice as to where to stay as we've not done Texas before. Also any good restaurant advice would be appreciated.

I had a 'dirty weekend' in Houston about 5 years ago and it was surprisingly enjoyable as a city.  We stayed at The Magnolia Hotel: http://www.magnoliahotels.com/ which was excellent and centrally-located so we walked most places.  I just checked and it's looking pricey.  I'm sure I paid about $150 a night.  The Houston Symphony Orchestra were good as was the modern art museum.  "Downtown" had loads of good restaurants and we just wandered around and chose at random rather than planning ahead.  Oh, and they had a jazz festival, too, which was also enjoyable.

I'd certainly go back and certainly stay at The Marigold again (if it's a bit less pricey than it is now) or i'd look for a cheaper hotel in the same area.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

I am not sure what I would do in Houston for 3 nights.
I went to San Antonio last year (3 hours driving west of Houston).
It is home to the Alamo, which is located downtown.
It has a river - or ox-bow lake - in the middle - which has hotels, pubs and restaurants on either side.
I thought I was the most attractive part of San Antonio.

I stayed in SA for 4 days for a conference a few years back and it's good in the evenings to find a bar and something to eat.  Apart from that (and the Alamo) it's a bit of a dull city, I thought.  Houston has more going for it.  We did go to a Brazilian Steakhouse one evening and, for carnivores, it was utterly magnificent - limitless beef, lamb, pork and chicken.  They did have a salad bar about the size of Dingwall which, naturally, I ignored apart from taking a few tatties.

Edited by The_Kincardine

54 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I had a 'dirty weekend' in Houston about 5 years ago and it was surprisingly enjoyable as a city.  We stayed at The Magnolia Hotel: http://www.magnoliahotels.com/ which was excellent and centrally-located so we walked most places.  I just checked and it's looking pricey.  I'm sure I paid about $150 a night.  The Houston Symphony Orchestra were good as was the modern art museum.  "Downtown" had loads of good restaurants and we just wandered around and chose at random rather than planning ahead.  Oh, and they had a jazz festival, too, which was also enjoyable.

I'd certainly go back and certainly stay at The Marigold again (if it's a bit less pricey than it is now) or i'd look for a cheaper hotel in the same area.

I stayed in SA for 4 days for a conference a few years back and it's good in the evenings to find a bar and something to eat.  Apart from that (and the Alamo) it's a bit of a dull city, I thought.  Houston has more going for it.  We did go to a Brazilian Steakhouse one evening and, for carnivores, it was utterly magnificent - limitless beef, lamb, pork and chicken.  They did have a salad bar about the size of Dingwall which, naturally, I ignored apart from taking a few tatties.

It wasn't a dirty weekend if you left your hotel room;)

31 minutes ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

Why do they call Billy Joel - "The Piano man" ?  

He was married to Christy Brinkley. Allegedly when she wasn't upright, she was grand.

Holy f**k, she's 62 now and still looks like this - if she's not on the MILFs thread she should be...

christie-brinkley-out-and-about-in-new-york-07-29-2016_1.jpg

When watching a video on your phone, why does the sound come out the bottom of the phone (the bit you speak into) rather than the top (the bit you put to your ear)?

Are you sure the speaker on your phone isn't just located at the bottom?

4 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

When watching a video on your phone, why does the sound come out the bottom of the phone (the bit you speak into) rather than the top (the bit you put to your ear)?

If you input sound energy into a microphone, it converts it into electrical energy. This also works backwards i.e. if you input electrical energy, it comes out as sound.

This means you can use any microphone as a speaker & vice versa. Your phone would appear to use the phone microphone as the video speaker

I presume it's a safety thing, so the earpiece (for phone calls) can't be too loud maybe ? A dedicated loudspeaker can be whatever the manufacturer specifies without blowing it.

If you input sound energy into a microphone, it converts it into electrical energy. This also works backwards i.e. if you input electrical energy, it comes out as sound.
This means you can use any microphone as a speaker & vice versa. Your phone would appear to use the phone microphone as the video speaker

Pretty sure most phones have dedicated microphone/speaker though.

Where do people get the images like the below with a cut out of someone's face? I find them hilarious but can't find some of the old classics like the Redknapp shocked face or the Sherwood falling backwards one.

IMG_1951.PNG

Edited by Honest_Man#1
Forgot to attach image

If something were to happen to Trump before inauguration day, who would be president on January 21st?
Would Pence be sworn in as president instead of VP?
Would Obama remain through another election?
Would Paul Ryan be sworn in?

Asking for a friend...   [emoji6]

Tell your friend Pence would be the next president.

If something were to happen to Trump before inauguration day, who would be president on January 21st?
Would Pence be sworn in as president instead of VP?
Would Obama remain through another election?
Would Paul Ryan be sworn in?

Asking for a friend...   [emoji6]

Tell your friend Pence would be the next president.