Quick Question Thread

16 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I don't think you have to go to the ground to be classed as a fan. Buy the top, watch on TV each week etc.. is enough to be classed as a fan.

I would say probably about the 30% mark also.

I define "fan" as someone who says "they're my team" whereas a "supporter" is someone who contributes financially to the club even if that's going to the games occasionally.

Edited by jimbaxters

About 30 year ago there was an advert for some beer where a guy went through his "past lives" which explained why he liked this specific beer. One of his past lives as "as a Bombay curry taster". Cannae mind the other two or the beer. Just came into my head and I thought a quick google would solve it but... didnae.

Any ideas?

9 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

About 30 year ago there was an advert for some beer where a guy went through his "past lives" which explained why he liked this specific beer. One of his past lives as "as a Bombay curry taster". Cannae mind the other two or the beer. Just came into my head and I thought a quick google would solve it but... didnae.

Any ideas?

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/week-first-television-ads-carlsberg-tetleys/61249

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

If someone tells you they don't drink are an alcoholic then later asks you for a drink what should you do?

a) Say no because you don't want to enable them.

b) Say yes because they are an adult and responsible for their own choices.

Tell them to buy their own fucking drinks!

Edit: if you wanted a serious answer, then it's obviously no. If someone asked you to pass them a gun so they could shoot up their school, you wouldn't do that either, despite it also being their choice to do so.

Edited by BFTD

17 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

If someone tells you they don't drink are an alcoholic then later asks you for a drink what should you do?

a) Say no because you don't want to enable them.

b) Say yes because they are an adult and responsible for their own choices.

I’d say B. Not easy/pleasant craving a drink or cigarette. My Mrs would just tell me to have a smoke or drink if I was being too much of an insufferable c**t clinging on to abstinence.  These days I genuinely never want a drink but also tend to swerve social situations where boozing is the main thrust of the occasion. It’s not your problem to deal with so don’t feel any pressure whatever decisions you made.

14 hours ago, BFTD said:

if you wanted a serious answer, then it's obviously no. If someone asked you to pass them a gun so they could shoot up their school, you wouldn't do that either, despite it also being their choice to do so.

Totally agree with that, though the example I'd have used would have been someone asking for their car keys when they're pissed out of their skull, which I suspect is more likely to happen.

9 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I’d say B. Not easy/pleasant craving a drink or cigarette. My Mrs would just tell me to have a smoke or drink if I was being too much of an insufferable c**t clinging on to abstinence.  These days I genuinely never want a drink but also tend to swerve social situations where boozing is the main thrust of the occasion. It’s not your problem to deal with so don’t feel any pressure whatever decisions you made.

That must make supporting DAFC well nigh impossible. I, for one, would not even contemplate watching Killie right now if I was sober at the time.

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

Totally agree with that, though the example I'd have used would have been someone asking for their car keys when they're pissed out of their skull, which I suspect is more likely to happen.

Aye, I just had those fruitcake American parents in my head, who knew their kid fancied a bit of the old ultraviolence and bought him a gun anyway.

Everybody's responsible for their own actions, but that doesn't mean it's OK to facilitate them. Also, and I can't stress this enough, make them pay for their own fucking drink. It's not your fault that they got themselves banned from the offie again.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, make them pay for their own fucking drink. It's not your fault that they got themselves banned from the offie again.

So to explain the situation properly, because I guess circumstances matter somewhat, I offered her a beer out of politeness and sociability. She said that she doesn't drink. Later she asked me what I thought of the local beers, and then said that she used to drink but stopped as she became an alcoholic. Later still she asked for a sip, then a can.

11 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

So to explain the situation properly, because I guess circumstances matter somewhat, I offered her a beer out of politeness and sociability. She said that she doesn't drink. Later she asked me what I thought of the local beers, and then said that she used to drink but stopped as she became an alcoholic. Later still she asked for a sip, then a can.

Bit of an awkward one. I'd be annoyed at being put in that position TBH.

15 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

My bet is she isn't a real alkie, probably just over did it a bit a few times and a bit of an attention seeker.

Bit of an awkward one. I'd be annoyed at being put in that position TBH.
It was quite awkward.
My bet is she isn't a real alkie, probably just over did it a bit a few times and a bit of an attention seeker.
That is a distinct possibility, and I did have my doubts, but she told me some things about her childhood which I could imagine leading someone to the drink. Though that could have been more attention seeking.