Quick Question Thread

7 hours ago, deej said:

Thinking about learning keyboard/piano, would it be enough to buy a cheapish one from argos/wherever and learn from youtube etc to begin with? Or would people recommend going for in-person lessons?

@Glennie Problem solved.

Seriously though as Gaz said earlier, worth spending a bit on weighted keys if its electronic.  Much easier to learn/play. If you have space, you can get an upright piano for nothing probably. Folk cant give them away these days. 

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Has anyone seen a badger in real life? I've only ever saw them on the tele or lying dead.

Yes , most recently last summer when I was at the start of the dog walk. I’d parked at an opening into some forestry land and there was a badger on the track about 50 yards away.....it disappeared into the undergrowth before my dog saw it. Just as well, as by all accounts the dog would come off second best in a square go with a badger

6 hours ago, Slacker said:

I'm having to sort out a Home Report for the first time. Does anyone come P&B recommended or are they all pretty much the same? My house is in decent condition and I'd assume they just take the size of the property and the area it's in and the valuation is decided on that. But would prefer one that's known for providing generous valuations - and if anyone's had a shite experience let me know who to avoid.

Should add the property is in Ayrshire.

The one we had in to my mums house was fucking shocking. Listed part of the original building as an extension, the windows as original even though they'd all been replaced a year earlier, the wrong decade the house was built In, plus he went for a pish, spat his chewing gum in the toilet and it wouldn't flush away for ages.

Check everything they list with a fine toothed comb

56 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Has anyone saw a badger in real life? I've only ever seen them on the tele or lying dead.

My dog had a tense stand off with one. He cornered it, they squared up and then both thought better of it. One nearly knocked me off my mountain bike too. They are solid wee things. 

Thinking about learning keyboard/piano, would it be enough to buy a cheapish one from argos/wherever and learn from youtube etc to begin with? Or would people recommend going for in-person lessons?
I'd keep an eye on Gumtree aswell, people always seem to be trying to give away pianos.

6 hours ago, Slacker said:

I'm having to sort out a Home Report for the first time. Does anyone come P&B recommended or are they all pretty much the same? My house is in decent condition and I'd assume they just take the size of the property and the area it's in and the valuation is decided on that. But would prefer one that's known for providing generous valuations - and if anyone's had a shite experience let me know who to avoid.

Pick any one from DM Hall/Graham & Sibbald/Shepherd. They’re all much of a muchness and will be accepted by 99% of lenders. Their fees will all be within a bawhair of each other. Phone them up, ask for a quote (they’ll want to know your idea of the house’s value (higher value=bigger house=more work)) and pick from whoever is nicest to you. 

You’ll find all the actual sold prices in your postcode on the link below. They’re not rocket surgeons, they’ll use the same info and, again, all will come to an answer within a bawhair of each other. 

https://scotlis.ros.gov.uk/

3 hours ago, RH33 said:

My 8 yr old has been using simply piano as she got a keyboard for Christmas and I can't find a teacher.

She can play the chorus to that classic "dance monkey" 🙈 

Having no idea what it was I googled it.

I’ll stick to Mozart thanks.

Fair play to her though.  These online courses are geared towards you playing the music you like to both make it easier (by not having to know how to read the details of sheet music timing) and to keep you interested to keep you subscribing.

Did one myself a while back for something different.  Enjoyed it.

7 hours ago, Slacker said:

It’s definitely worth getting a painter in first. Such a simple way to add value to your home before getting it valued. 

This post was brought to you by Shandon Par’s decorating services.

43 minutes ago, Empty It said:
11 hours ago, deej said:

I'd keep an eye on Gumtree aswell, people always seem to be trying to give away pianos.

I thought you were going to say a badger.

27 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

It’s definitely worth getting a painter in first. Such a simple way to add value to your home before getting it valued. 

Also helps hide the damp/mouldy bits. Fnarr. 

50 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Having no idea what it was I googled it.

I’ll stick to Mozart thanks.

Fair play to her though.  These online courses are geared towards you playing the music you like to both make it easier (by not having to know how to read the details of sheet music timing) and to keep you interested to keep you subscribing.

Did one myself a while back for something different.  Enjoyed it.

I've not coughed up for the subscription, she's learning viola at school so can read music.

If she's still plonking away on it in February I'll pay the subscription!

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Painted my last house before I sold it.

Surveyor put on the report that the textured ceilings could indicate the presence of artex and therefore asbestos.  He conveniently ignored the fact the house was built decades after asbestos was banned.  What he described as “textured” ceilings were from nothing other than a paint roller.

He left his extendable ladders in my house.  I kept them.  p***k.

After me pointing out the obvious flaws in his report he removed all his pish.