Quick Question Thread

4 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Nah don't really watch any cartoons aside from South Park occasionally. I managed to get some fileshare app thing and watch it though but cheers anyway. 

Is Hulu big in the US? 

It has all the South Parks on it for ref, great site.

I dunno - they did well enough to pay Joel Embiid to do their ads but I never really watch the telly. The big bugbear seems to be from the cable cutters - now there's Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, Disney Plus, I'm sure Paramount have got a paid streaming service - that instead of paying $50 a month for cable you're paying $50 to have 5 streaming services instead so it amounts to the same thing. We've got council telly and then Disney Plus to get the wean to piss off for half an hour and then Netflix because we've got my mate's mum's password.  The only thing I really watch is either Miami Heat or Scotland games, and I'll either stream those from sites that I couldn't possibly comment on or nip round the pub. 

Edited by carpetmonster

Nah don't really watch any cartoons aside from South Park occasionally. I managed to get some fileshare app thing and watch it though but cheers anyway. 
Is Hulu big in the US? 

You need to be watching Bob's Burgers. It's outstanding television.

52 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Maybe one for the Travel forum but I'll start here.........Years since I bought foreign currency for hols. Last time I used Travelex I think. Have things changed in the last 5 or 6 years ? Any advice gratefully welcomed. TIA.

Travelex aren't bad for online rates but are terrible at airports. I'd think about a Revolut card for using abroad in ATMs and shops. For cash Tesco are often good but it's worth shopping around. Used to use Currency Club online for delivery to home, but they aren't that competitive anymore unless you want thousands. Tbh I just pop into the post office and buy a hundred euros in small notes before travelling, and use cards most of the time when I'm away.

8 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

It has all the South Parks on it for ref, great site.

I dunno - they did well enough to pay Joel Embiid to do their ads but I never really watch the telly. The big bugbear seems to be from the cable cutters - now there's Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, Disney Plus, I'm sure Paramount have got a paid streaming service - that instead of paying $50 a month for cable you're paying $50 to have 5 streaming services instead so it amounts to the same thing. We've got council telly and then Disney Plus to get the wean to piss off for half an hour and then Netflix because we've got my mate's mum's password.  The only thing I really watch is either Miami Heat or Scotland games, and I'll either stream those from sites that I couldn't possibly comment on or nip round the pub. 

Aye it's ridiculous right now. I pay for Sky, Bt Sports and Premier just for Rangers and then Netflix, Disney and Amazon Prime for TV shows and I spend 95% of my TV time watching YouTube anyway. Probably watched 20 things on all of them in 3 years. 

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

You need to be watching Bob's Burgers. It's outstanding television.

Is it on Netflix? 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Travelex aren't bad for online rates but are terrible at airports. I'd think about a Revolut card for using abroad in ATMs and shops. For cash Tesco are often good but it's worth shopping around. Used to use Currency Club online for delivery to home, but they aren't that competitive anymore unless you want thousands. Tbh I just pop into the post office and buy a hundred euros in small notes before travelling, and use cards most of the time when I'm away.

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

My old man uses Marks & Sparks but I think he has one of their credit cards so that *might* get him a slightly better rate. 

Thanks for replies. Basically, wife and daughter are off to US for a few weeks (I'm not going - YAY !) and I don't know if it's better to buy dollars here or just let them shred the shit out of the credit card. Maybe a bit of both.

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Thanks for replies. Basically, wife and daughter are off to US for a few weeks (I'm not going - YAY !) and I don't know if it's better to buy dollars here or just let them shred the shit out of the credit card. Maybe a bit of both.

It’s always useful in the US to have *some* cash - depending on where they’re going - but not every wee hole in the wall joint will take cards, even now, and small bills are always useful for tips etc. 

Oh also if it’s a legal weed state and they want to get pied, dispensaries don’t take credit cards; cash or a (presumably) US debit card only 

9 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Aye it's ridiculous right now. I pay for Sky, Bt Sports and Premier just for Rangers and then Netflix, Disney and Amazon Prime for TV shows and I spend 95% of my TV time watching YouTube anyway. Probably watched 20 things on all of them in 3 years. 

Is it on Netflix? 

Pretty sure it's on Disney+. It's also amazing and you (everyone) should watch it any way they can.

2 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Maybe one for the Travel forum but I'll start here.........Years since I bought foreign currency for hols. Last time I used Travelex I think. Have things changed in the last 5 or 6 years ? Any advice gratefully welcomed. TIA.

I usually pre-load a FEX card (Caxton is my choice) for card payments but also take a sheaf of GBP where it seems they are keener to have our notes, for whatever their reasoning.  

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money/

Usually a good place to start when weighing up the various options of cards/pre-pay cards/cash etc

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Got an old friend descending on me for a few days who is now a vegetarian. Anyone got any decent recipes or suggestions for veggie ready meals that taste like real food?

If you were staying with him, would he cook meat dishes for you?

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Got an old friend descending on me for a few days who is now a vegetarian. Anyone got any decent recipes or suggestions for veggie ready meals that taste like real food?

It doesn't matter what you  give them. It'll  be followed by " everyone assumes vegetarians like mushrooms/tofu/salad...it's ok, It's fine really, it looks lovely..."

Tell them to fùck off now, it'll save time.

3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Just cook them normal peoples food and say "it's amazing what they can do with soya these days". 

This is our go to recipe when any plant munchers are coming round

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/pasta-recipes/roasted-mediterranean-vegetable-lasagne

It's actually decent enough, and we sometimes have it as a change from a standard lasagne

Two from Tom Kerridge - 

Mixed bean, roasted pepper & feta salad.

Griddled veg & halloumi with couscous.